Native Texans drafted 1st overall in NFL draft

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I read a great story by a local writer who lives in our subdivision who sparked this thread as he was discussing all of these picks since State of Texas has had the last 3 overall #1 picks in NFL Draft.

Kyler Murray of course a local from Allen. And Baker Mayfield In 2018 and Myles Garrett in 2017 , all from Texas.

Murray also became the 5th in last 11 years from Texas joining Andrew Luck and Mathew Stafford. And the 14th overall #1 pick since the NFL draft begun in 1936.

Other familiar names on this list were Earl Campbell, Billy Simms, Dave Parks, Tommy Nobis, Bubba Smith and Kyle Rote.

And this doesn’t include some that just missed being the overall #1 picks like Joe Greene , Bob Lilly and Sammy Baugh.

But this story was about the very 1st player from Texas taken 1st overall in the NFL draft in 1939. An unknown from TCU, Charles Aldrich.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I read a great story by a local writer who lives in our subdivision who sparked this thread as he was discussing all of these picks since State of Texas has had the last 3 overall #1 picks in NFL Draft.

Kyler Murray of course a local from Allen. And Baker Mayfield In 2018 and Myles Garrett in 2017 , all from Texas.

Murray also became the 5th in last 11 years from Texas joining Andrew Luck and Mathew Stafford. And the 14th overall #1 pick since the NFL draft begun in 1936.

Other familiar names on this list were Earl Campbell, Billy Simms, Dave Parks, Tommy Nobis, Bubba Smith and Kyle Rote.

And this doesn’t include some that just missed being the overall #1 picks like Joe Greene , Bob Lilly and Sammy Baugh.

But this story was about the very 1st player from Texas taken 1st overall in the NFL draft in 1939. An unknown from TCU, Charles Aldrich.

no link?

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
I brought up a similar story in the playoffs where Texas also had the most QBs playing the playoffs. We had Patrick Mahomes, Drew Brees, Nick Foles, Andrew Luck all playing. Was a pretty impressive stat.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I brought up a similar story in the playoffs where Texas also had the most QBs playing the playoffs. We had Patrick Mahomes, Drew Brees, Nick Foles, Andrew Luck all playing. Was a pretty impressive stat.
Yep . Appreciate your comments.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
In 2017 Texas had 1,3,6 and the crazy thing is Pat Mahomes should have been number 1 but went 10th.

Texas HS went to spread systems about 15 years ago and has produced an insane amount of NFL QBs since then including the two guys who competed last year for MVP, PM and Brees.
Luck, Brees, PM, Baker, Foles, Keenum, Colt, Stafford, Dalton et al.

Londonboy

Reaction score
From what I've seen, HS Football is nearly a religion in Big T, that type of passion and participation level will naturally tend to punching above Your weight in performance (check out the All Conquering NZ All Blacks Rugby Team for a similar phenomena in another Sport), the fact that Texas is also one of the most populous of U.S States (haven't checked, but I'd guess top 5) makes the impressive number of top picks and Playoff QB's no surprise.
What does surprise Me is that it doesn't seem to transfer to the College Level, with all that in-State talent, I'm surprised that the Big Texas Colleges don't do better.

Londonboy

Reaction score
No, its someone who could link me to my identity and location.
I now have an image of a frantic Greg, staying one step ahead of the Law, scrambling down gullies and wading through streams, trying to throw off the hounds baying in the distance.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
From what I've seen, HS Football is nearly a religion in Big T, that type of passion and participation level will naturally tend to punching above Your weight in performance (check out the All Conquering NZ All Blacks Rugby Team for a similar phenomena in another Sport), the fact that Texas is also one of the most populous of U.S States (haven't checked, but I'd guess top 5) makes the impressive number of top picks and Playoff QB's no surprise.
What does surprise Me is that it doesn't seem to transfer to the College Level, with all that in-State talent, I'm surprised that the Big Texas Colleges don't do better.
Good question. There are so many Division 1 schools in Texas( over 20 I believe ) including 11 FBS schools and that doesn’t count the Division II and III .And the rest of the nation hoards over the cream at the top.

I’ve read different articles claiming as much as 72% of Texas colleges are being supported by High School recruits from state of Texas. In this particular Bleacher report from 2016 it stated that 12 of the top 29 high school recruits went to out of state colleges.

While University of Texas has the greatest history Oklahoma is like Texas North with over half their players from Texas. Both of their last 2 Heismans of course from Texas.

And much of the other Big 12 schools are fed from Texas. LSU is also fed from Texas and now that A&M is in SEC are seeing more go to SEC schools since that’s become a huge recruiting tool to come watch your kid play in College Station when they play here.

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Texas has arguably the best facilities and support of any state for football.
But lately Texas is also producing basketball stars at insane clips.
It is a warm state and we take competing and sports seriously and spend lots of money on it.

Collegiately, everyone recruits the state of Texas.
Luck went to Stanford, Brees to Purdue, Baker and Kyler ended up at OU, Stafford went to Georgia.

LSU has poached DBs and DL very well. Bama comes in an gets a kid or two per year.

If Herman keeps recruiting well at UT they'll start winning a lot more but poor coachingf and no idea how to identify talent hurt them for years.
TAMU has underachieved massively for about 20 years aside from the Manziel stretch and just hard to identify why.
Baylor, TCU and Tech have had stretches of success but aren't the high profile, big money schools to stay at the top longer term.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Texas has arguably the best facilities and support of any state for football.
But lately Texas is also producing basketball stars at insane clips.
It is a warm state and we take competing and sports seriously and spend lots of money on it.

Collegiately, everyone recruits the state of Texas.
Luck went to Stanford, Brees to Purdue, Baker and Kyler ended up at OU, Stafford went to Georgia.

LSU has poached DBs and DL very well. Bama comes in an gets a kid or two per year.

If Herman keeps recruiting well at UT they'll start winning a lot more but poor coachingf and no idea how to identify talent hurt them for years.
TAMU has underachieved massively for about 20 years aside from the Manziel stretch and just hard to identify why.
Baylor, TCU and Tech have had stretches of success but aren't the high profile, big money schools to stay at the top longer term.
Good question. There are so many Division 1 schools in Texas( over 20 I believe ) including 11 FBS schools and that doesn’t count the Division II and III .And the rest of the nation hoards over the cream at the top.

I’ve read different articles claiming as much as 72% of Texas colleges are being supported by High School recruits from state of Texas. In this particular Bleacher report from 2016 it stated that 12 of the top 29 high school recruits went to out of state colleges.

While University of Texas has the greatest history Oklahoma is like Texas North with over half their players from Texas. Both of their last 2 Heismans of course from Texas.

And much of the other Big 12 schools are fed from Texas. LSU is also fed from Texas and now that A&M is in SEC are seeing more go to SEC schools since that’s become a huge recruiting tool to come watch your kid play in College Station when they play here.
Thanks for the insight Chaps, 2 mighty fine posts.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Ki Aldrich is not unknown, at least to me. He was the Center for Davey O'Brien and Sammy Baugh at TCU. He was a two way player.