Natural Disaster - Ever Experienced One?

rynochop

Reaction score
Dealt with Rita first hand..about 3am I wish I had evacuated. I couldn't get out of my driveway. Also had hurricane Ike, but I was drunk as hell that night so no big deal.lol

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Irene brought hundred year flooding to this area.

Ice storm of 1998 wreaked havoc on the region.

A few years ago we had a weather event that has never been recorded in this area. Early November, ground not yet frozen, unusually warm temps in the days leading up to it. With the warm temps came torrential rains. A huge Arctic front barreled in pushing the warm front out and dropping the temps from 50's-60's to Below 0 in about an hour. That night we were awakened by a very loud sound like an explosion. It was house shaking, wake you up from a coma, look for the mushroom cloud type of loud. Happened a few more time over the next few hours.

Turns out, all the rain dumping so quickly was still sitting in the very top layer of soil. The sudden and significant drop to well below freezing froze that super saturated layer causing expansion and shifting which basically simulated an earthquake.

No major damage, a lot of cracked foundations, emergency services flooded with calls wondering what the hell was going on.

No death and destruction but a very interesting phenomena that nobody recalls ever experiencing.

John813

Reaction score
Handful of Hurricanes.

Got outskirts of Andrew, then Frances/Jeanne were direct hits. Wilma the following year.

jsb357

Reaction score
Raised in Texas so I’ve dodged and few twisters here and there, always been
taught about flooded creeks and stuff.

The worst?

Got off the school bus one beautiful day in May maybe 1974? Blue skies, not a
hint of anything approaching.

My younger sister was already home from school. Yea we were latchkey kids.

45 minutes later I really though the world was coming to an end.

It was dark as night, the wind was blowing and there was just a smattering of rain.

We hunkered down in the safe area in the house

Then the hail came. Tennis ball sized and larger. Not the soft slushy ones.
Hard as a rock, solid.

Our lot was covered in post oaks and you could not see the grass in the yard
from the oak branches snapped off by the hail.

There was NOT a roof in the neighborhood that was spared; cars in the neighborhood
parked outside lost every window.

Both mom and dad were at work so our cars were spared.

People have been though much worse but this event scarred me.

Every day since I pay attention to the weather, if I wake up during a storm, I’m up
until it has passed.

I don’t know if I could deal with the hours and hours from hurricanes.

And I never want to find out.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I went to New Orleans to do relief work a few days after Hurricane Katrina hit. Stayed there for 6 months or so. Wasn’t there when it hit though.