NBA, union closing in on a deal

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
News Services

The NBA and its players union may agree today on a six-year labor contract that establishes a 19-year-old age limit, stiffens the drug-testing policy and raises the salary cap, people familiar with the negotiations said Monday. An agreement would end months of rancor between players and owners, who promised to impose a lockout if a new contract wasn't signed by July 1, the expiration date for the current accord.

The 19-year-old age limit would bar most players from entering the NBA directly from high school. The union dropped its request that high school players be allowed to enter the league if selected in the lottery, which is the draft's top 14 picks.

The union and owners also agreed to limit the length of players' contracts to six and five years, depending on whether they re-sign with their teams or join another club as a free agent. Previously, players could sign for seven and six seasons.

The agreed-upon drug policy allows for all players to be randomly tested four times during the season, the people said. Previously, veterans were tested only once during training camp, while rookies could be tested three times during the year.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3234035

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I dont understand the big deal about not letting 19 year olds enter the draft.

- Mike G.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mickgreen58 said:
I dont understand the big deal about not letting 19 year olds enter the draft.

- Mike G.
They wanted 20 year olds. Compromise on the union's part, I imagine.

I wonder what happened to the minor league concept. I actually liked the idea of a minor league. Some of these young guys buried on the depth chart can actually get some PT and then grow within the org versus being cut and prospering with another team.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Yeah, I just never understood why they wanted an age limit. It is not like people force them to choose a highschool kid. If you think he is special draft him, if not, dont draft him.

This is America. People should be able to take career risks such as forgoing highschool and going pro. They reap all the benefits and suffer all the loses, which is the American Way :p: .

- Mike G.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Yeah, I just never understood why they wanted an age limit. It is not like people force them to choose a highschool kid. If you think he is special draft him, if not, dont draft him.

This is America. People should be able to take career risks such as forgoing highschool and going pro. They reap all the benefits and suffer all the loses, which is the American Way :p: .

- Mike G.

Here is the reason.

You get hot shot 18 year old HS basketball players and you have to draft them earlier and sign them to monumental contracts only for most to take 3-4 years to develop and mature physically. A team can't risk the kid becoming a fututre superstar so they draft them...

By then, contracts are up and you have to sign them again for alot MORE money...

From a different view, most 18 year old kids aren't emotionally stable enough to receive that kind of money as well as to compete day in and out with physically mature men. Most of those that are picked up by teams don't make it in the NBA where if they had gotten some experience in college would have had a career playing NBA hoops.

Our own first round draft pick in 1999, Leon Smith, is an excellent example of a young man that came out of HS and lacked the maturity to make it at such a young age. He is now out of the NBA.

I was for the age limit because it protects both the young player AND the NBA.

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
Great news! I guess they DID pay attention to what happened with the NHL.
I had a feeling they'd try to get it hammered out today so that

1. there'd be more buzz leading up to the game tonight

2. they could do the whole PR "one big happy family" thing tonight during the game.

Probably gonna have to suffer through a David Stern interview at the half though, for those of you watching at home.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I just find it odd that one can be sent over to Iraq to die but now they are going to have to wait until they "mature" to get a shot at making the big money.

You go to college to gain skills to get a job. If you already have those skills then you should be able to take your destiny in your own hands and make the jump.

Steve Baumer, the CEO of Microsoft and countless other movers and shakers dropped out of college entirely to pursue their dreams in the business world. I dont see why basketball players cant.

The colleges are making too much money off these guys to let them get away to the NBA.

- Mike G.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
I just find it odd that one can be sent over to Iraq to die but now they are going to have to wait until they "mature" to get a shot at making the big money.

You go to college to gain skills to get a job. If you already have those skills then you should be able to take your destiny in your own hands and make the jump.

Steve Baumer, the CEO of Microsoft and countless other movers and shakers dropped out of college entirely to pursue their dreams in the business world. I dont see why basketball players cant.

The colleges are making too much money off these guys to let them get away to the NBA.

- Mike G.

Like I said... it protects both sides... for every one high-schooler that makes it... probably 10 don't...

The NBA isn't the US Army... the point is that MOST of them don't have the physical skills as they are not physically developed yet...

I have no problem with a free-market society... the NBA has every right to make that rule should they wish...

I agree with it because it has advantages to both the NBA and the young player...

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
People crash and burn in the stock market, changing careers, jobs, etc etc. The POINT is they are grown men and women and were given that freedom to make or break their fortunes. To me, that is the American way.

I just find it odd that one can vote or go to war for this country but not be given the chose to make or break their fortune as they choose by entering the draft at 18. It is their move. If they make it big like the Garnett's of the world, they get 100% profits, if not, the reap what they sew.

The American System is beautiful ;) .

- Mike G.