News: NBC: Former Cowboys Running Back Marion Barber III Arrested

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I noticed all the of the new stories say former Cowboy...and don't mention Bears at all even though that was his final team.
That's not really surprising. He was only with the Bears one season and only as a backup, so nobody really knows him as a Bear. Plus, he still lives in the DFW area and that's where he was arrested.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
do we actually know that Barber Suffers from CTE?
He would lower his head before every hit. I remember him having some concussion issues here and there. As a late pick, the only way he made himself visible was with his rough style of play. Made him a fan favourite, unfortunately this is where it sometimes leads. So sad.

munkee

Reaction score
Arrested on 2 misdemeanor counts from over a year ago? Wonder if there was an outstanding warrant? Without any other information, the arrest seems excessive.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He would lower his head before every hit. I remember him having some concussion issues here and there. As a late pick, the only way he made himself visible was with his rough style of play. Made him a fan favourite, unfortunately this is where it sometimes leads. So sad.

Oh yeah, I remember him from before he ever entered the NFL. When he and Maroney were playing in the same backfield for Minnesota. But has he actually ever been diagnosed with CTE? I mean, there was something going on with him way before he ever got to Dallas.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He’s been going through it. Google stories about him. You read stories about guys like him and then you understand why a guy like Zeke did what he did this offseason.

Name me a few RB's that have suffered from CTE? Thats NOT why Zeke did it. Its because RB's dont have the longevity.

nobody

Reaction score
That was an article from a local new org that elicited your initial comment.

And I stated I wasn't just talking about local news. Before I even posted that, I did a search online. So no, the one article didn't elicit my initial comment. :)

nobody

Reaction score
Troy aikman probably had some of the worst ever and he’s doing fine. Also invested his money right and has a second career. I’ve had a ton of concussions myself through the years probably around 7 or 8. One I couldn’t see anything for 2 hours, thought I was blind, scary **** but not trying to say cte doesn’t exist and isn’t a disease I just think it’s always the easiest thing to point to and say as to why these guys have mental problems. I get it but I think there is a lot more to it other than the concussions most of these guys suffered from years ago and most of them are fully healthy and recovered.

Not everyone is affected the same by the same injuries. Why do some people get dementia and others don't? Why do some people get cancer and others don't? Just because you or Aikman don't appear to have it isn't a valid presentation for it's existence or non-existence. I'm not even saying he has it...just suggesting it as a possibility due to the downward spiral we've seen. Other players who had that downward spiral and died were later found to have it.

But there are examples out there of even mild concussions slightly changing someone's personality. Other things can do that too, like drug use, alcohol, etc. You don't even need CTE for that to happen.

The bottom line is...some dudes go through childhood and early adulthood with no trouble, play football, and suddenly they're a slightly different person, getting into trouble, etc. It's certainly something to look at.

cern

Reaction score
Troy aikman probably had some of the worst ever and he’s doing fine. Also invested his money right and has a second career. I’ve had a ton of concussions myself through the years probably around 7 or 8. One I couldn’t see anything for 2 hours, thought I was blind, scary **** but not trying to say cte doesn’t exist and isn’t a disease I just think it’s always the easiest thing to point to and say as to why these guys have mental problems. I get it but I think there is a lot more to it other than the concussions most of these guys suffered from years ago and most of them are fully healthy and recovered.
Not everyone reacts the same and there is no specific timetable for this kind of injury. It could affect some in two years and others in ten years. Hopefully you will never experience any I'll effects from the concussions you suffered.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Oh boy the "well this person also had concussions" argument. That simply is not how logic works. An increased risk of CTE doesn't mean that if you had a lot of concussions, you automatically get CTE.
No **** so stop using it as the reason why players have issues.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Not everyone is affected the same by the same injuries. Why do some people get dementia and others don't? Why do some people get cancer and others don't? Just because you or Aikman don't appear to have it isn't a valid presentation for it's existence or non-existence. I'm not even saying he has it...just suggesting it as a possibility due to the downward spiral we've seen. Other players who had that downward spiral and died were later found to have it.

But there are examples out there of even mild concussions slightly changing someone's personality. Other things can do that too, like drug use, alcohol, etc. You don't even need CTE for that to happen.

The bottom line is...some dudes go through childhood and early adulthood with no trouble, play football, and suddenly they're a slightly different person, getting into trouble, etc. It's certainly something to look at.
Exactly so maybe people should stop assuming that MB3 problems are from CTE.

Vandyr

Reaction score
Blaming NFL players' erratic behavior on CTE is a cop out. Anyone ever watch professional boxing?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Blaming NFL players' erratic behavior on CTE is a cop out. Anyone ever watch professional boxing?

I don't watch boxing, but some sort of brain trauma like CTE could be behind a guy like Mike Tyson biting another man's ear off.

Barber's erratic behavior is a classic symptom.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
No **** so stop using it as the reason why players have issues.

It is a possible reason that his mental health issues are emerging now. Generally serious mental health issues emerge earlier.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Former Cowboys Running Back Marion Barber III Arrested

Marion-Barber-mug-shot-101619.jpg

Former Dallas Cowboys running back Marion Barber was arrested Wednesday in Denton County.

Read Full Story
June 2014

According to the police report, cops were first called to the scene after the former Dallas Cowboys star entered a church with a loaded 9mm handgun -- and 3 magazines ... containing 51 hollow-point bullets.

When cops got to the church, officers say Barber seemed disoriented -- and one cop says 'He heard Barber state he did not know what year it was or where he was at.'

The story goes on to say that officers spoke with the pastor, who said that "Barber had been speaking erratically inside the church and 'removed his jacket showing the congregants his firearm in public.'" It also said that he was being held for "mental detention and observation."

It is definitely a man with mental problems screaming for help.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It is an unanswerable question as it can only be determined by autopsy.

Yeah, I thought as much but did not know if it was an accurate assumption or not. He may have CTE, I don't know. I just know that whatever is afflicting him was present before he ever became a Cowboys. Perhaps it has progressed over time, IDK.