NBC: Jason Witten will play in his team-record 225th game Sunday

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Jason Witten will play in his team-record 225th game Sunday
Posted by Charean Williams on September 15, 2017, 7:11 PM EDT
839662004-e1505517096736.jpg

Getty Images

Another week, another record for Jason Witten.

The tight end, who became the Cowboys’ all-time receiving yards leader last week, will play in his team-record 225th game Sunday. He currently shares the record with Ed “Too Tall” Jones, who played his 224 games from 1974-78 and 1980-89 after leaving in ’79 to become a professional boxer.

“There have been so many great football players who have come through this organization, tough mentally and physically, the list is long, so to be able to reach something like that I’m appreciative of it,” Witten said, via Brandon George of the Dallas Morning News. “There have been a lot of people to contribute to that success and hard work . . . but six or seven weeks into it when I broke that jaw I don’t know that I thought this day would ever come.”

The only game Witten has missed in his 15 seasons came in his rookie year after he broke his jaw.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
I love Jason Witten. I was watching a sports show a few weeks ago, and the topic of "witten hall of fame?" came up.. I thought this was a dumb question, of course he is a first ballot hall of famer, right? They put the stats up of him compared to Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez, and Witten's numbers very comparable except in one key stat: Touchdowns. Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez are tied with 111 touchdowns a piece. Jason Witten has 64. Why is this?

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
I love Jason Witten. I was watching a sports show a few weeks ago, and the topic of "witten hall of fame?" came up.. I thought this was a dumb question, of course he is a first ballot hall of famer, right? They put the stats up of him compared to Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez, and Witten's numbers very comparable except in one key stat: Touchdowns. Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez are tied with 111 touchdowns a piece. Jason Witten has 64. Why is this?
I don't think he's first ballot at all. A good postseason run with him doing a lot would tilt the scales imo

mattjames2010

Reaction score

Yeah, sports shows always focus on Wittens lack of TDs. Obviously touchdowns are important, but I can almost promise you that Witten has more clutch catches than both Tony and Antonio.

I can't really point to why Witten has so fewer TD catches, other than most of Witten's career we had better red zone targets in TO and Bryant - we also had Marion Barber as a goal line/red zone guy, from 2006-2009 he had 7 or more TDs.

So at his peak, we simply just had different strategies in the red zone.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Yeah, sports shows always focus on Wittens lack of TDs. Obviously touchdowns are important, but I can almost promise you that Witten has more clutch catches than both Tony and Antonio.

I can't really point to why Witten has so fewer TD catches, other than most of Witten's career we had better red zone targets in TO and Bryant - we also had Marion Barber as a goal line/red zone guy, from 2006-2009 he had 7 or more TDs.

So at his peak, we simply just had different strategies in the red zone.
Interesting to note, Gonzalez, Gates, and Witten, none of them have had much postseason success. So I'm not sure who has had more clutch catches. You do make a point, Gates and Gonzalez were always the best receiving options on their teams by a longshot. And that wasnt really the case for Witten as he had TO, Dez.