NBC: Ronald Leary prepared to move on from Cowboys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem with banking on Green is he cannot be trusted to play. The guy is injury prone as they come!!!

And even if he managed to stay healthy for a year or two, do you want to trust his injury history with a big money, long term deal? I don't.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Differing injuries and none that are chronic in nature. So there is no need to put him in the chronically injured column although I get the frustration with him. Perhaps he's one of those guys always with a new kind of ding.

Back surgery is as chronic as they come.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
It's too bad if he leaves. Solid and valuable asset. I dispise this salary cap. Its ruined football. Well greed.
It's so awesome these staunch capitalists wanted a salary cap.

Maybe they'll be for one on the concession stand at the stadium paid for, in most cases, by the taxpayers.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I doubt either are on the roster next year. Question is what happens at RT

I think it's a big question that we need to start talking about more.

Doug Free's level of play is diminishing and his listed cost for 2017 is unreasonable and unmanageable.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LearRo00.htm

His salary is set to go from $2 million to $5 million this year, and the team would net $5 million by releasing him, so something's gotta give.

I wouldn't mind keeping him around as a backup swing tackle for a year or two at an appropriate cost, but starting him, especially at current price tag doesn't work.

sbark

Reaction score
Teach Doug Free the "Green bay Oline Technique", and he will be servicable.......it would also help Collins in pass protect.......

Sydla

Reaction score
I can see him going to Eagles or maybe Giants.

The Eagles don't have a ton of cap space and they are said to be focusing on WRs and CBs in FA. So I am not sure they would sign an $8MM a year guard.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Eagles don't have a ton of cap space and they are said to be focusing on WRs and CBs in FA. So I am not sure they would sign an $8MM a year guard.

I can't see it either. In fact, reports are that they have asked Jason Peters to take a pay cut. That doesn't sound like a team that's about to spend big on an offensive lineman.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Something has to happen regarding Free's contract. He's got a completely unmanageable cap hit of $7.5 million for 2017. Pay cut or get cut.

The more like route would be a short extension if Dallas were to do anything with his contract. He's the starter and he's been relatively healthy, so I could see Dallas restructuring the one-year deal into a three-year deal.

Despite how fans here feel, the team values him as a starter, so I don't expect anything negative to happen concerning him. I've stated that I would rather see us sign Leary and let Collins and Green battle it out at RT for a couple of reasons, but I think those who really feel Dallas is going to do something about Free are in for a huge letdown.

He's been an average starter and the Cowboys seem perfectly happy with that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The more like route would be a short extension if Dallas were to do anything with his contract. He's the starter and he's been relatively healthy, so I could see Dallas restructuring the one-year deal into a three-year deal.

Despite how fans here feel, the team values him as a starter, so I don't expect anything negative to happen concerning him. I've stated that I would rather see us sign Leary and let Collins and Green battle it out at RT for a couple of reasons, but I think those who really feel Dallas is going to do something about Free are in for a huge letdown.

He's been an average starter and the Cowboys seem perfectly happy with that.

If they do, I'll disagree with them and feel it's a mistake. Happy to be proven wrong about, but not holding my breath. The disappointment with Free isn't just fans opinions, there are solid numbers backing it up. Free was among the worst in the league in several dubious categories, and that was before he was taken to the woodshed against the Eagles in week 17.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Analysts thought Leary knees were going to give out earlier than expected red and he's surpassed his expectancy. I think it is time to move on before giving him a contract and he actually does start to deteriorate. Collins is a way better prospect also than Leary. Collins is in the last year of his deal I believe. He'll want to cash in. He's younger and can be a focal point for this line for years to come

Reactions: AJC
Status
Not open for further replies.