NBCDFW Blog: Marty B Remains Bigger Twitter Star Than Football Star

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BY Josh Alper // Thursday Oct 1, 2009 at 03:13 CDT

During the preseason, there was a lot of discussion about how the Cowboys were going to use Martellus Bennett in a way that vaulted him from being known only to devoted followers of his Twitter account. Two tight end formations were going to be all the rage, with Tony Romo using Bennett the same way he used Jason Witten.

It's been three games and we're still waiting for it to happen. Todd Archer of the Dallas Morning News shared some statistics about the number of balls thrown to various Cowboys this season. Witten remains Romo's favorite target, followed by Patrick Crayton and Roy Williams. Bennett has only been targeted nine times and he's caught just three of those passes, paltry figures for a player expected to play a major role in the offense.

Against the Panthers on Monday night, the Cowboys designed two plays specifically for Bennett and each one was a disaster. The first saw the tight end go in motion, pretend to fall down and then try to slip behind the defense for a screen. Bennett never got through the defensive line and Romo was sacked for a big loss. The second play was the second of two straight attempted fades in the quarter. It was a terrible call by Jason Garrett made all the worse when Bennett did a pirouette as the ball sailed over his head and out of bounds.

Whether that's a problem of design or execution is almost beside the point. The Cowboys, and Garrett especially, don't need to find more reasons to go away from the run. The last two weeks have made it abundantly clear that the offense is going to go as far as the running game can take them, not only because it is capable of churning up 200-plus yards a game but because of the way it sets up the rest of the offense as the defense crowds the box to eliminate the run.

As that happens, Bennett and all of the other pass catchers can make themselves useful by blocking for the running backs. If that's not enough, he can console himself on the internets until the passes start coming his way, because the Cowboys will be just fine without him.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-st...Twitter-Star-Than-Football-Star-63133532.html

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
And how many big runs have come out of our 12 formation?

I'd bet quite a bit.

He can impact a game by more than just catches. The Bucs game I think he opened up two TD's.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yea i've seen Bennett make some great blocks this season. It doesn't make ESPN but he's doing his job. I'd be more upset if he wasn't doing that and he was just catching footballs. He's doing what he's suppose to do.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
rocyaice;2984069 said:
Yea i've seen Bennett make some great blocks this season. It doesn't make ESPN but he's doing his job. I'd be more upset if he wasn't doing that and he was just catching footballs. He's doing what he's suppose to do.

I'm pretty sure Vela mentioned it at BTB.com after the Tampa Bay game that Marty B got a sick block on their DT allowing Kosier to pull out for a lead downfield.

If he keeps that up, I don't care if he has 3 catches all season long. When my TE > your DT, I get the win.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
You know Bennett is still young enough that he reads the headlines. I hope he read this one and it lights a fire under him just to prove everyone wrong.

TonyS

Reaction score
Let's hope he doesn't read this and become frustrated with his lack of targets. We don't need a mini-TO.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The article is a little unfair in that Bennett isn't targeted very much, but he does need to make the most of his opportunities. That last sentence about the Cowboys not needing Bennett is pure rubbish. Credibility lost right there.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2984144 said:
The article is a little unfair in that Bennett isn't targeted very much, but he does need to make the most of his opportunities. That last sentence about the Cowboys not needing Bennett is pure rubbish. Credibility lost right there.

Bennett has been targeted 9 times and only has 3 catches for 27 yards. I think being targeted an average of 3 times a game for a second TE is pretty good. Catching only 33% of your targeted passes is piss poor.

The B in Marty B stands for BUST! :laugh2:

Martice

Reaction score
Josh sounds like a person who was ready to drink the Marty B kool aid and is now upset the Kool aid is not the flavor he likes.

For the first time in a long time, the Boys have a truly effective run game. Maybe Josh doesn't realize the more we run successfully, the more the passing game will open up because teams will put more linebackers in to stop the run which plays in the hands of what we ultimately want to do as an offense as a whole.

Patience Josh. It's still a young season. Teams don't always finish the season playing the same style as they started. As teams adjust to what we are doing in the running game, we will then be able to adjust as well. Which is something Garrett has been accused of not doing in the past.