Need a brake job right when money is tight

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
My 2014 Honda Civic is making all those sounds that indicate it's time for a brake job. The timing couldn't be worse. Money is tight. I'm thinking of having WalMart do it. I've never had their automotive do my brakes before. Can I trust them to do a satisfactory job at an affordable price?

I don't want to get hozed. I remember some years ago, I had a place do my brakes, and it all seemed fine. However, a friend of mine who knows cars inside and out took a look. He figured out that they only replaced the brake pad on one side, the side that was making noise. The other side was worn down a lot, but wasn't at that point where it was making noise. They were supposed to replace both sides, but didn't. Crooks.

I can't afford the highest-end mechanic right now, but I do need a decent job done.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My 2014 Honda Civic is making all those sounds that indicate it's time for a brake job. The timing couldn't be worse. Money is tight. I'm thinking of having WalMart do it. I've never had their automotive do my brakes before. Can I trust them to do a satisfactory job at an affordable price?

I don't want to get hozed. I remember some years ago, I had a place do my brakes, and it all seemed fine. However, a friend of mine who knows cars inside and out took a look. He figured out that they only replaced the brake pad on one side, the side that was making noise. The other side was worn down a lot, but wasn't at that point where it was making noise. They were supposed to replace both sides, but didn't. Crooks.

I can't afford the highest-end mechanic right now, but I do need a decent job done.
If your friend who knows cars inside and out won't do it, try getting an estimate at Meineke.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Just crash into a tree and let the insurance pay for it...not real hard, though. Y'know, just enough.

I tried that last time, but I forgot to wear my seat belt, and flew through the windshield. I ended up in a pine tree. I'm still pulling prickly things outa my butt. Then after all that, the insurance didn't cover it.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
They thought you did it just for the butt stuff.

Are you kidding me? The butt stuff is so last year. I got over that when I met up with a kinky chick named Aria and we [censored], and then we [censored]. I barely had any strength left when she decided she wanted to [censored]. I staggered out of her place to catch my Uber and am lucky to have gotten away.

I was sore for weeks. I won't make that mistake again.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
They thought you did it just for the butt stuff.
Are you kidding me? The butt stuff is so last year. I got over that when I met up with a kinky chick named Aria and we [censored], and then we [censored]. I barely had any strength left when she decided she wanted to [censored]. I staggered out of her place to catch my Uber and am lucky to have gotten away.

WZ2Pg0B.jpg
:laugh:

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score

Go to AutoZone, buy the parts, borrow their tools, and change your breaks in their parking lot. People that work on cars go to AutoZone, so if you run into any problems you can just ask the customers for advice.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Avoid any Chinese brake parts at all cost…sure you save money up front, but you’ll be replacing your brakes again sooner than later…

HungryLion

Reaction score

Rotors and pads isn’t too difficult man. Honestly if you watch a YouTube video or two you should be able to do them yourself if you’re up to it. Will save a lot of money that way.

even if you don’t have a lift and have to use a jack. It’s like an hour job if you’re taking your time.

Rear drum brakes are a pain in the butt. But a lot of newer cars are all wheel disc.

This is a good video. I would say that I’ve never used anti seize or cleaned new rotors prior to installing them like this guy does, and I’ve never had a problem.

Last edited: