Need a brake job right when money is tight

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
I remember delaying a brake job to the point I was feathering the E brake on a ‘82 Lincoln Town Car which was literally shedding it’s Landau roof and all stickers expired. I had a cop, who rightly pulled me over in Tomball, say that ‘Something is telling me to let you go.’ … and he did. Who was I to second-guess him?

I’m glad things changed. Four discs - or drums in the rear?

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Brakes are pretty easy to do. Rent a caliper press from auto zone and get some new pads for $100 or so.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
You can always go with the economy brakes model.

giphy.gif

Ren

Reaction score
If it's just the pads pretty much anyone could do it

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If it's just the pads pretty much anyone could do it
Not everyone who lives in a colder climate has a garage. I don't know where he lives, but I sure wouldn't be doing my own right now. Actually, I'm one of those people who doesn't trust himself to do anything mechanical that could fail and do a lot of damage.

Also, what if his discs or drums need to be turned? He can't do that himself, and you don't want to replace them unnecessarily.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Not everyone who lives in a colder climate has a garage. I don't know where he lives, but I sure wouldn't be doing my own right now. Actually, I'm one of those people who doesn't trust himself to do anything mechanical that could fail and do a lot of damage.

Also, what if his discs or drums need to be turned? He can't do that himself, and you don't want to replace them unnecessarily.

I live in Omaha, Nebraska, and it's gotten cold. I do have a garage, but it's only suitable for protecting my car from winter. It's separate from my apartment and has no electricity, and has just enough room for the car and a few things. I can do a few handyman things with my power drill, but I won't trust myself with my car, especially since my garage is inadequate and I have no experience, and I don't have the tools. I'm better off finding someone who knows what he's doing, and does that stuff all day.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I live in Omaha, Nebraska, and it's gotten cold. I do have a garage, but it's only suitable for protecting my car from winter. It's separate from my apartment and has no electricity, and has just enough room for the car and a few things. I can do a few handyman things with my power drill, but I won't trust myself with my car, especially since my garage is inadequate and I have no experience, and I don't have the tools. I'm better off finding someone who knows what he's doing, and does that stuff all day.
I got ya. While I've watched and helped with brake jobs, I'd have to be in dire straits to do it myself.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I got ya. While I've watched and helped with brake jobs, I'd have to be in dire straits to do it myself.

Yes. Plus, since it's one of the more elementary things for a mechanic to do, I'm betting that I can find a fair price if I call around. Gonna read reviews for sure because there are some shysters.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I was going to suggest you just do them yourself, but that cold is a killer.

Honestly, having an extremely common car like a civic, just go to a place that is cheap/fits your budget. If you were driving something german or uncommon, I'd be a little more cautious about where I'd take it, but a Civic? About the only thing they can mess up is putting the pads in backwards (yeah, I seent it.)

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I was going to suggest you just do them yourself, but that cold is a killer.

Honestly, having an extremely common car like a civic, just go to a place that is cheap/fits your budget. If you were driving something german or uncommon, I'd be a little more cautious about where I'd take it, but a Civic? About the only thing they can mess up is putting the pads in backwards (yeah, I seent it.)

I did have one crook only change one side because the other side still had some pads left. Never went back to those sleazeballs.