Need help from native english speakers

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Hey my fellow Cowboys fans,

I hope you can help me with this small question.

For a presentation at work (project update) I want to say, that a certain feature in a software needs some "additions". What I mean is that more functions have to be developed and installed. Otherwise the current product is insufficient for the customer.

What I wrote is

"the Dashboard supplements will cause an additional workload of xx hours in the IT department".

Since I use the word additional in the sentence, I didnt want to also use "additions". But the word supplements seems to be rather used as additions in texts when I google it. For exmaple "the instructions need further supplements to be specific enough".

So, is supplements the right word in my context, when the IT department has to develop more stuff than initially planned?

Best regards

Alex

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
It's a little tough to know the context, since I'm not working on your team, but my gut says to go with:

"The Dashboard enhancements will cause an increased workload of xx hours in the IT department."

Or possibly:
"The additions to the Dashboard will cause an increased workload of xx hours in the IT department."

rags747

Reaction score
This is what ChatGBT has to say

To express that more functions need to be developed and installed in the software, it would be clearer to use the word "additions" or a similar term. Here's a revised version of your sentence:

"The Dashboard requires additional additions, which will result in an increased workload of xx hours in the IT department."

This sentence clearly conveys that more functions need to be developed and installed, emphasizing the need for extra work in the IT department.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
This is what ChatGBT has to say

To express that more functions need to be developed and installed in the software, it would be clearer to use the word "additions" or a similar term. Here's a revised version of your sentence:

"The Dashboard requires additional additions, which will result in an increased workload of xx hours in the IT department."

This sentence clearly conveys that more functions need to be developed and installed, emphasizing the need for extra work in the IT department.
That works. However, IMO "additional additions" is redundant. I would change it to just "additions."

Creeper

Reaction score
It's a little tough to know the context, since I'm not working on your team, but my gut says to go with:

"The Dashboard enhancements will cause an increased workload of xx hours in the IT department."

Or possibly:
"The additions to the Dashboard will cause an increased workload of xx hours in the IT department."
In my experience, the word "enhancements" is more commonly used to describe new features or functionality in software development. Software modifications were divided into two categories, enhancements and fixes. But I suppose it depends on who is in the audience.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

For a presentation at work (project update) I want to say, that a certain feature in a software needs some "additions". What I mean is that more functions have to be developed and installed. Otherwise the current product is insufficient for the customer.

What I wrote is

"the Dashboard supplements will cause an additional workload of xx hours in the IT department".

Since I use the word additional in the sentence, I didnt want to also use "additions". But the word supplements seems to be rather used as additions in texts when I google it. For exmaple "the instructions need further supplements to be specific enough".

So, is supplements the right word in my context, when the IT department has to develop more stuff than initially planned?

Best regards

Alex
You’re overthinking it IMHO. Go with your first thought and stick with it. It’s not the US Constitution.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I guess it depends on your goal. Are you advocating for, or against, these enhancements? If it's for these changes, you could try the "poop sandwich" approach where you couch the negative aspects between two (or more) positive aspects so the initial and ending impressions are positive. If you are against these changes, make sure you layer positives first and end with the negatives.

I would also recommend throwing the word "approximately", or "estimated" in there in front of "xx hours". Don't tie yourself into a specific number. Suppose you quote 80 hours a pay period, but it turns out to be 100. What if someone with pull in the room is willing to go with 80 hours, but not 100. Now they could be pissed because you undersold the added time required to achieve the goal.

I tangentially work with IHT for my employer and I have also noticed the word "workload" is often viewed in a negative light and I've had people reply to my "workload" arguments with, "that's what you get paid for".

"Time commitments" seems to be a more neutral phrase and it doesn't carry an implication that you don't want to work, but rather you lack the resources to achieve to goal.

So, I might say:

The Dashboard enhancements will require approximately xx hours of added time commitments for the IT department

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

What I wrote is

Best regards

Alex
"The software will require development of additional functionality to make it a viable solution for the client.

The estimated time to develop that functionality will include an additional XX hours from the IT department."