Need some Virus Advice

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I am fed up with Norton IS. Anyone have any ideas of what the best anti virus software might be? I need to get something new asap. And oh by the way, Norton Stinks as far as service is concerned!

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
We use Symantec version 10.1.1000 here at the state. Its the latest from Norton. That IS product by them is crap btw but the actual AV client is very good.

What exactly is it not doing for you CC?

I would use Trendmicro's PC-cillin Internet Security . Great product and solid support for AV. Try it! PC-cillin Internet Security

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas said:
We use Symantec version 10.1.1000 here at the state. Its the latest from Norton. That IS product by them is crap btw but the actual AV client is very good.

What exactly is it not doing for you CC?

I would use Trendmicro's PC-cillin Internet Security . Great product and solid support for AV. Try it! PC-cillin Internet Security

Agreed Trendmicro makes a good product.

Symantec higher end (business client versions) are much better then the standard product.

Also for anyone thinking about using nortons (symantec) utilities or bundle packs where they have antivirus with other stuff in it...don't IMO because it is a major system and memory drain...causes too much stuff to run in the background and can slow or lock your system up if you are multitasking.

At home I use the business version of nortons anti-virus I got from work and it works well.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Agreed Trendmicro makes a good product.

Symantec higher end (business client versions) are much better then the standard product.

Also for anyone thinking about using nortons (symantec) utilities or bundle packs where they have antivirus with other stuff in it...don't IMO because it is a major system and memory drain...causes too much stuff to run in the background and can slow or lock your system up if you are multitasking.

At home I use the business version of nortons anti-virus I got from work and it works well.

Good post BP. I to use the enterprise version of Sym10. Much of the stuff they put out is a memory/system hog. Especially "rtscan" which is the actual scanning engine. During a scan you can just FORGET about doing anything on your PC. It really pulls it down.

The never version 10.1.1000 fixed this tho. So instead of needing 75 megs to run its running at or near 20 megs.

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
I had Symantec,dont believe it was the buisness version,but man I stared having problems with my PC after I had it for a few months. I just ditched it and I am using MaCafee,so far so good. I am crossing my fingers

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am now going to download the 30 day trial version of PC-Cillin from Trendmicro. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks again. This really is the place to get good info fast. But what else can I expect from my brothers in blue and silver. :)

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I have both the corporate and the retail versions, running on different machines, at home. On the retail one I installed on the antivirus because I was having problems when I loaded all that extra crap.

But I have a warning for you. If you have corporate version 7.x it will no longer update. Symantec has stopped updating it but if you have 7.x DO NOT upgrade straight to 10.x because you will have problems. I know from experience. We did it and we had to send out new cd's to all of our sites and spend a whole month fixing the problem. If you have 9.x there isn't a problem.

NYCowboy22

Reaction score
Grisoft offers a FREE virus scanner called AVG (www.grisoft.com). IMHO it is better than Norton and Mcaffe (I have used both of them.) Trend Micro and Panda Software both offer free online scans which are very good. For spyware I use Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy.

CowboysFan02

Degree or Bust
Reaction score
NYCowboy22 said:
Grisoft offers a FREE virus scanner called AVG (www.grisoft.com). IMHO it is better than Norton and Mcaffe (I have used both of them.) Trend Micro and Panda Software both offer free online scans which are very good. For spyware I use Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy.

Beat me to it NY I havent been using AVG for long but so far so good. Also pairing it up with ZoneAlarm for fire wall protection is also helpful.

Right now I am contemplating upgrading to ZA secuity suite since Amazon.com has a 30 rebate and 10 instant bringing its price to $30 bucks. Does anyone have ZA secuity suite and have any comments on it?

dwmyers

Reaction score
This isn't antivirus software, but if you're curious at times about what might be causing a problem, you can do a lot worse than HijackThis.

David.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
NYCowboy22 said:

I love Grifsoft usethe free version better than Norton's IMO and the crap Mcafee has

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
NYCowboy22 said:
:hammer:

Also, I have long since replaced Adware and Spybot with M$ Antispyware proggy. It is very robust and nothing gets by it.

Norton is the Borg, you will never fully get rid of it even after a clean uninstall.

k19

Reaction score
adbutcher said:
:hammer:

Also, I have long since replaced Adware and Spybot with M$ Antispyware proggy. It is very robust and nothing gets by it.

Norton is the Borg, you will never fully get rid of it even after a clean uninstall.

I see how yoy are ad, Now you tell me this norton borg think. I just uninstalled system works 05 last night. My puter seemed like it was running slow with all that "stuff" even with 2g of memory and a new a 2g athlon 64 processor. You should have seen how fragmented my raptor drive was after pulling off nortons speed dish and going back to MS defrag. What a mess