Negative 100th Post

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101 said:
Unlike TO though he is a kicker he has no playbook to learn he has 1 job kick the ball through the uprights that is it.
He also doesn't need a playbook to kickoff, does he?

WAREWOLFE94

Reaction score
I with you Maxmadden..Preseason woe's or not i'm gonna be grimacing and crossing finger's when Vanderjagt attempt's to boot one through the up right's.
laugh.gif

I don't really care about his past track record i wanna see him do it sucessfully this season on a consistant basis for the Cowboy's.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Idgit said:
I doubt anybody is thinking his previous kicks actually count for points today. That would be stupid. The previous kicks just mean that he really knows how to kick a football. I wonder why Indy never cut him when he went through a pre-season rough patch? Probably because of what he did the season before, don't you think? There's no substitute for kicking well in a regular season game, but until Vanderjagt has the opportunity to do that, it's just not rational to hold your own insecurities against him.

As far as Parcells goes, he also doesn't believe Owens can do it yet until he shows him he can. He's not even willing to say that Owens will start. This is a canned response, and he's been saying it since he got here.

You're putting too much emphasis on the two missed preseason kicks. What did you think about the report that he went 50 for 50 in practice yesterday? Would that make you feel any better, if it were true?

Good for you I'm glad your 100% convinced that Vandy is good to go and I hope your right. Myself I expect to see players perform even in pre-season and when I see a guy missing easy kicks then I'm going to be concerned. As for what Indy did I don't care this is not indy and if they were so thrilled with him why is he in Dallas? Vandy has 1 job kick the ball I expect him to do it in games, practice and in the fricken parking lot, Dallas is paying damn good money for just that make your kicks.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Every kicker misses kicks. Vandy has missed as many as seven in a season. He's also made 37 of 37, which is unbelievable.

Dallas' bigger problem is their "keep it close" mentality. Considering you will lose half the close games you play and probably win 75% of the games vs bad teams this approach has 9-7 or 10-6 written all over it.

You can not be afraid to use your offense, especially in today's game. There are too many great athletes capable of shredding any defense on any given play, and this blows up Marty-ball.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I think we as Cowboy fans are used to the anxiety of trotting the FG unit out on the field. We are not gonna trust anyone for a while, it starts Sunday. I honestly feel like Vanderjagt will do well this season, but until he does it in a real game I have no confidence in our kicking game.

It has brought me to the conclusion that it might be a good reason to use an early draft pick on a kicker. We just wasted a 4th rounder and 6th rounder. The parity in the NFL puts too much emphasis on a kicker.It doesn't seem right that after the blood and gut battles in the trenches are fought, this guy who really isn't even a football player and doesn't even practice with the team, comes into the game for 1 play to decide the outcome. I think they should make the field goal count for 1 point and take most of the emphasis off the kicker.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Maxmadden said:
We just wasted a 4th rounder and 6th rounder.

I disagree. We still have the 4th rounder and these guys helped prove the strength of our depth. We weren't "drafting backups" like the 1995 Cowboys or 2005 Eagles were. For every Green and Stanley be glad there's a Watkins and McQuistan.

Impact players discovered on the draft's second day are the exception and not the rule.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Maxmadden said:
I don't post often (100 post = 2 years) but I been a faithful lurker here for a couple of years. This board is by far the most informative and cordial forum on the net.

Anyway, I usually try and view things on the positve side and I will sometimes even take a few sips of the kool-aid.

But I can not BELIEVE that I am going to spend another year leaving the room everytime the field goal unit comes onto the field.

What piece of mind it must be to have a kicker that you can count on. I know Vanderjagt will probably get everything straightened out but I don't trust him anymore than I did Cundiff.

I wiped the slate clean when he came to Dallas and I could care less about how good he was in the past. So far in Dallas I haven't been impressed and I haven't been too thrilled with his attitude (wish LA was still here to keep his ego in check).

I'll give him a few games to earn some trust but come Sunday if FG unit comes on the field, I'm afraid that I just can't bear to watch. I just hope the game doesn't come down to that.

Anyway...Thanks for letting me vent some frustration on my 100th post.

You have every reason (as do all Cowboys fans) to be concerned... REALLY concerned. Something is not right in Vanderville's(mind)...

It wasnt just two meaningless FG misses that could have won the preseason game. He missed his last real game IMPORTANT FG and hasnt been right since... he came to camp hurt and not kicking... when he did he missed....

I can be reasonable with some of the choices we have made... but I really dont want to bend on this one.... WE SHOULD have gotten Vinatieri... WE KNEW we were building to make a RUN this year..... and we leave it up to Vandershank??? Come on!!!