Negative Play Leaders

superpunk

Reaction score
Looking down the ranks of sack leaders, here are the leaders in negative plays (sacks, stuffs) so far this season.

Trent Cole - 23.5
DeMarcus Ware - 20.0
Jared Allen - 19.5
Justin Tuck - 18.0
Patrick Kerney - 17.5
Mario Williams - 17.0
Shawne Merriman - 16.5
Michael Strahan - 16.0
Osi Umenyiora - 15.0
Aaron Kampman - 14.0
Adewale Ogunleye - 14.0
Albert Haynesworth - 14.0

Not only is Ware second, but he is one of only two LBs to make the list. Ware also has three negative plays that I can recall that have not counted in the official stats - two intentional groundings, and his "offsides" against Green Bay.

I also believe that Ware has led all LBs in this category ever since he came into the league.(Although someone else could probably check this easier than I ;) ) One only has to watch him stretch a guy like Westbrook to the sideline, and still be able to make the tackle himself, to appreciate what he can do in the run game as well as against the pass.

Note: I see New York's defense, and I can only think "How frustrating must it be to have Eli Manning as a QB?" Three players near the league lead in negative-yardage-plays. Wow.

Ellis has 12.5

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
This thread deserves to be longer.

Total tackles (players with 9 sacks or more)
1 Ware 75
2 Vrabel 69
3 Peterson 68
4 Cole 65
5 Merriman 63
6 Kampman 62
7 Allen 59
7 Kerney 59
9 Tuck 55
10 Williams 53
11 Strahan 52
11 Ogunleye 52
13 Carter 48
13 Vanden Bosch 48
15 Taylor 47
16 Umenyiora 43
17 Dumervil 34
18 Ellis 27
19 KGB 23

WarC

Reaction score
Ware is so good, he actually went back in time to sack my highschool QB.

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals DeMarcus Ware allows to live.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
What's everyone's favorite four letters?

Voters, write it on the chalkboard 100 times:

D.
P.
O.
Y.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
Ware is incredible, and it's scary to think that he's still on the way up!

I think he'll be the All-time Cowboys sack leader before he's all done - easily.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Ware would the defense be without #94? What a great player.

And with the title i was looking to see a Julius Jones stat.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I see no reason why he shouldn't be a finalist for DPOY. No player has really stood out in the "Flare stats" department. No one with 17+ sacks or 10+ INTs...

Of course there's still 2 games left so that could happen. No doubt Ware should be one of the names mentioned for that award.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
DWare has been lights out this season, he was great last season as well and he should to top candidate for DPOY. I am so glad he is playing for the Cowboys.

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;1848499 said:
And with the title i was looking to see a Julius Jones stat.

That's the same thing i was thinking

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Rack;1848554 said:
I see no reason why he shouldn't be a finalist for DPOY. No player has really stood out in the "Flare stats" department. No one with 17+ sacks or 10+ INTs...

Of course there's still 2 games left so that could happen. No doubt Ware should be one of the names mentioned for that award.

Not sure but I thought Cromartie had 10 picks. He also has some TDs to go with it but haven't heard his name dropped in DPOY a lot.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Thehoofbite;1848613 said:
Not sure but I thought Cromartie had 10 picks. He also has some TDs to go with it but haven't heard his name dropped in DPOY a lot.

Cromartie has started for only six games. His interceptions already got him a Pro Bowl spot that he shouldn't have gotten. It shouldn't get him in the DPOY discussion, too.