New CBA unlikely to be approved

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
NFL | Deal not likely to get ratified
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 20:40:11 -0800
<A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/17">Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue has agreed to present the NFLPA's offer to the league's 32 owners. One league source told ESPN.com that he had an e-mail assurance that the deal would go through, but there are no signs that the membership is ready to ratify it. Tagliabue needs 24 of 32 votes to pass the collective bargaining agreement extension, but it does not appear he will have sufficient support for it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2356568

And while one league source told ESPN.com on Monday that he had an e-mail assurance from Upshaw that the deal would go through, there are no signs that the membership is prepared to ratify it.
In fact, to the contrary, it seems Tagliabue still doesn't have sufficient support to have the deal passed by the 32 owners. And there remains some question about whether he can deliver the votes and how that will affect his legacy.
A deal that is being advertised in some quarters as tentative, in truth is tenuous.

bobtheflob

Reaction score
And if this doesn't go through they'll just delay free agency by another couple of days. I just want the whole thing to be over with.

calico

Reaction score
bobtheflob said:
And if this doesn't go through they'll just delay free agency by another couple of days. I just want the whole thing to be over with.

:hammer:

HardHittin'Witten

This ain't Madden
Reaction score
I've been busy at work and haven't been able to read anything, but JJ was just on ESPNews and said he's be shocked if this thing goes through tomorrow.

31hammer

Reaction score
I know it sounds crazy. If the owner's don't pass the union's proposal, why not send the NFL's proposal to the players to vote on. Have each team's reprensenative to the union vote on it. I am sure the "actual" players will be all for what the NFL have been offering.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bobtheflob said:
NO freaking kidding.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
If Lenny P is wrong here, I think they should make him start covering his 1st love...... waiting for a fresh batch a Cinnabon.

This whole covering the NFL thing isn't exactly his strong suit.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Wheat said:
If Lenny P is wrong here, I think they should make him start covering his 1st love...... waiting for a fresh batch a Cinnabon.

This whole covering the NFL thing isn't exactly his strong suit.

I'm so sick of the drama. One news outlet says likely, another unlikely. Progress, then no progress.

If it doesn't get approved today, I won't be surprised if there is another free agency postponement.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
No suprise

Tags is taking back the same offer they previously rejected. Tags bought 3 days Sunday night at 11:10.

This is still far from a Done deal and we are now a day and a half away from next soft deadline. I expect owners to set real tone today/tomorrow. This could get uglier if they can't agree first amongst themselves....

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Yesterday on ESPN Radio Chris Mortenson was announcing that there was "an agreement in principle."

This sure doesn't sound like it.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
Yesterday on ESPN Radio Chris Mortenson was announcing that there was "an agreement in principle."

This sure doesn't sound like it.
Sounds like they agree on MOST of the parameters of the CBA, except for one or two sticking points. The problem is that they're major sticking points. And those sticking points are obviously the deal breakers.

That's how I see it. So I wouldn't say Mort is completely wrong. I'd say there's still some work to do...even tho the basics have been worked out.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
If there is no CBA, expect 2 years of football, then a strike.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Wheat said:
If there is no CBA, expect 2 years of football, then a strike.
It would actually be a lockout. Same result, just a technical difference.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Supposedly the NFLPA would decertify, then that would bring in the anti trust laws into effect. A lockout by the owners would be chalenged in court. It would definitly get messy. I think that if they do not get it done now, it will come all around again right after the Pro bowl next year.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Mort screwed up and overstepped it by most all accounts today. JJ'S comments were telling and he sure as heck sounded on ESPN to have not approved it!

Tags agreed to take the "proposal" of NFLPA back for a vote this afternoon by owners. He bought three more days -
3rd deadline - Thursday up next.

HardHittin'Witten

This ain't Madden
Reaction score
Nors said:
Mort screwed up and overstepped it by most all accounts today. JJ'S comments were telling and he sure as heck sounded on ESPN to have not approved it!

Tags agreed to take the "proposal" of NFLPA back for a vote this afternoon by owners. He bought three more days -
3rd deadline - Thursday up next.

Mort screwed up? Impossible!

Next thing you know, he'll be reporting that Parcells is retiring. :D

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
HardHittin'Witten said:
I've been busy at work and haven't been able to read anything, but JJ was just on ESPNews and said he's be shocked if this thing goes through tomorrow.

They were running him this morning - he basically said the deal was not acceptable, but he knew that.

Tags basically bought a 3 day delay with promise of owners talking it over today. Per NFLPA - This deal had already been rejected previously.

Soft deadlinr again - I expect the owners to nix this or see another extension.