New CBS analyst on the horizon? Rich Gannon and Rodney Peete audition

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
GANNON ACES CBS AUDITION

By ANDREW MARCHAND

June 17, 2005 -- CBS Sports may soon add another All-Pro quarterback to its NFL analyst roster.

During a tryout to be a game analyst, 2002 NFL MVP Rich Gannon - who is on the verge of retiring from the Raiders - impressed CBS Sports president Sean McManus.

"He was very good," McManus told NYP TV Sports.

Another ex-NFL quarterback, Rodney Peete, also fared well in an audition and may call some games for CBS.

Peete would still remain a host of Fox Sports Net's Best Damn Sports Show Period. If added, both Gannon and Peete would do secondary games.

Former Giant coach Dan Reeves also came in for a look, but CBS is not expected to offer Reeves - who co-hosts a talk show on Sirius Satellite Radio - any games. While people close to Bob Costas have said he would prefer to be NBC's NFL studio man - because he knows he's a better host than he is a play-by-player - Costas refuses to show his hand.

"I can be used in a variety of roles," Costas said on Wednesday.

While Al Michaels is NBC's leading candidate for the booth, Costas on play-by-play is still a remote possibility. After Michaels, Tom Hammond and Marv Albert are the next candidates, not necessarily in that order.

If you went to a Will Smith concert and Tim Duncan came out beforehand to shoot jumpers, you would say, "What is this?"

Before big sporting events, though, real sports fans are subjected to random acts of music. The pregame of the NBA Finals is the latest example.

"We are in prime-time television, competing against other entertainment shows, and we spent a lot of time defining our championship viewer - it is people who may or may not tune in for lots of different reasons," Gregg Winik, head of NBA Entertainment, said.

"We know the hardcore basketball fans aren't going to tune off because before play has started there is a song. Someone reads an advertisement or someone is watching Entertainment Tonight and they say, 'Will Smith is performing prior to the Finals' game,' that may tweak some interest from the non-traditional NBA viewer.'''

Well, after games are advertised for 9 p.m. and then start 20 minutes or more later after musical acts and other shenanigans, The Finals feel almost like an afterthought.

"The Continent'' continues to grow. Chris (Continent) Carlin, who recently became Imus in the Morning's sportscaster, will call all four Giant preseason games on WFAN. Bob Papa, the Giants' regular radio play-by-player, will call the action on NBC during the preseason. Papa will be joined by Carl Banks and Harry Carson in the booth. As for Carlin, he now has done talk shows, play-by-by and updates.

"I would like to do a combination of everything," Carlin said when asked his ultimate goal.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/25240.htm

--------
Just to add to this article, I saw Gannon on NFL Network and I thought he was really good. A real natural. Some of the guys who get on there, they're ok, but you can tell they're trying real hard.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NFL | Visser to the Studio
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 22:44:25 -0700

The St. Petersburg Times reports CBS sideline reporter Lesley Visser is leaving the sidelines after her second hip surgery. She will join the studio cast of CBS' the <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/77/nfl">NFL Today.

Bill Wooten

Reaction score
Am I reading that right? Please tell me they won't put Costas and Madden together in the booth for MNF!!! :puke: