New Coke again?

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I read earlier today that Coca-Cola is once again going to bring it back after failing miserably back in the 80's.
That stuff was absolutely horrible and left an after taste that lasted like the rest of the day. They lost millions in the experiment.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I read earlier today that Coca-Cola is once again going to bring it back after failing miserably back in the 80's.
That stuff was absolutely horrible and left an after taste that lasted like the rest of the day. They lost millions in the experiment.

I don't drink Coke now, so maybe it's broke? :laugh:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

Apparently, it's due to some Netflix show or something. Some show, I can't recall which show.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

It wasn't exactly broke, but they had been losing market share. I think it was just a big marketing ploy, they garnered millions in free promotion, people scrambled to buy up all the old Coke, then everybody went out to buy the new Coke to try it, then when Coke Classic came back people bought all back again happy to have it back. Whatever they lost during the brief change, they more than made up for after they went back to the classic. They created a viral moment before viral was thing.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
It wasn't exactly broke, but they had been losing market share. I think it was just a big marketing ploy, they garnered millions in free promotion, people scrambled to buy up all the old Coke, then everybody went out to buy the new Coke to try it, then when Coke Classic came back people bought all back again happy to have it back. Whatever they lost during the brief change, they more than made up for after they went back to the classic. They created a viral moment before viral was thing.
Great point.

Hardline

Reaction score
mexican-coke.jpg

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Even Classic Coke doesn't taste as good as the original Coke before the new Coke came out.
I love drinking Mexican Coke made with REAL pure cane sugar and not the artificial crap.
Coke had been slowly changing over from pure cane sugar in the early 80's to by the time New Coke there was none left in it. Coke had also been losing market share and Pepsi had been gaining, maybe it was due to Pepsi's marketing are the changes in sweetener. Either way, creating a demand and distraction, the change in sweetener became less a thing because people were just happy to have the "original" formula back.

lukin2006

Reaction score

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coca-Cola is bringing back New Coke in honor of 'Stranger Things'
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/21/business/new-coke-stranger-things/index.html

There are three ways for customers to get the retro product: As a gift when they buy limited-edition "Stranger Things" Coke and Coke Zero Sugar glass bottles online starting Thursday, through "Stranger Things" themed pop up vending machines that will be in cities this summer, or as a giveaway when they purchase a gift or ticket at the World of Coca-Cola in Atlanta. Coca-Cola has produced under 500,000 of the New Coke 12-ounce cans, and expects to run out quickly.

---

It's just a marketing ploy that seems to have worked because this thread exists.