New College Football rankings out (10/11/10)

Jack-Reacher

MTRS-Jon
Reaction score
casmith07;3620153 said:
Boise doesn't have a single quality win on their schedule this year and won't have one by season's end.

They should not be 3rd.

Yeah they should just play in Division II. Oregon State and Virginia Tech are not quality teams, while tOSU has played 5 quality clubs. :rolleyes:

I get it you don't like BSU, what will your excuse be if they get to another bowl and beat yet another BCS team?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
casmith07;3620153 said:
Boise doesn't have a single quality win on their schedule this year and won't have one by season's end.

They should not be 3rd.
That doesn't mean their team isn't one of the top teams in the country. Their schedule will always be brought into question. But it's not their fault - remember the standing offer they made to play anyone anywhere. No one will take them up on that either. Boise is a perfect example of why there should be playoffs in college football. Let's settle it on the field the way it should be.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Jack-Reacher;3620616 said:

Good stuff.

Personally, I think margin of victory should count. I think quality of opponent should shore up the deficiencies with margin of victory. It should be handled by an average of the opponent's last 12 BCS ratings. (what amounts the an entire season, if there are playoff games, then those are included instead of the earliest BCS ratings from the previous year)

Since teams can be significantly different from year to year, after each game, you drop the oldest BCS rating and add the lastest BCS rating. By the time the season is over, there are only teams from this year and playoff teams from last year that determine quality opponent.

Beating UTEP by 40 vs beating Utah by 40 should have an significant impact for unrated teams. While a rated team only beating UTEP by 3 should have a significant negative impact.

utrunner07

Reaction score
Boise State, what a joke, put them in the big 10, big 12 south, pac 10, SEC and they are a 1 loss team easy probably a 2 loss team. Its easy to play up for one game when your next four games might as well be against DIII schools, try stringing back to back to back games together though and you would see the team completely fall apart.

Jack-Reacher

MTRS-Jon
Reaction score
utrunner07;3620737 said:
Boise State, what a joke, put them in the big 10, big 12 south, pac 10, SEC and they are a 1 loss team easy probably a 2 loss team. Its easy to play up for one game when your next four games might as well be against DIII schools, try stringing back to back to back games together though and you would see the team completely fall apart.

haven't we heard we this same tired argument over and over again? what's next... oh yeah the blue turf....lol

BSU isn't in a different conference so it is just opinion, yours and mine differ. The MWC could have become a power conference but coulda woulda shoulda, it didn't, and if TCU get's the invite to the Big East, BSU will be in the same situation they are in now with a crappier TV contract. The loser in all of this is BSU. It doesn't matter what they do, or who they beat they cannot get ahead. Until the BCS system is scrapped altogether, and a playoff system is put into place this problem will remain. The BCS elite receives 90% of the revenue so I doubt that will ever change.

In the end you win, Boise can't compete with those conferences. It has nothing to do with how they play on the field, it has everything to do with how those conferences allocate their share of the BCS earnings. If the Big 12 or PAC 10 or SEC demanded a playoff, it would have already been in place.

Jack-Reacher

MTRS-Jon
Reaction score
nyc;3620725 said:
Good stuff.

Personally, I think margin of victory should count. I think quality of opponent should shore up the deficiencies with margin of victory. It should be handled by an average of the opponent's last 12 BCS ratings. (what amounts the an entire season, if there are playoff games, then those are included instead of the earliest BCS ratings from the previous year)

Since teams can be significantly different from year to year, after each game, you drop the oldest BCS rating and add the lastest BCS rating. By the time the season is over, there are only teams from this year and playoff teams from last year that determine quality opponent.

Beating UTEP by 40 vs beating Utah by 40 should have an significant impact for unrated teams. While a rated team only beating UTEP by 3 should have a significant negative impact.

I agree, I also think that he made a valid about capping the spread. I think that if you beating a team by 30 is the same as beating them by 70 will keep teams from running the scores up to bad.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Here is an interesting article from Pat Forde. Scroll down to the information about TCU and Boise St.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=5675517

To summarize the article: both Boise and TCU played tougher opponents last week than Ohio St. and Oregon. Both Boise and TCU blew out their tougher opponents by much larger margains, but they both lost ground to Ohio St. and Oregon in the polls. How is this fair?

Also, don't forget that the team that blasted the Oregon Ducks last year, returned 21 out 22 starters from that team! That the core of the team that went into Oregon and blasted them on their home field the year before was made up mostly of of Freshem and Sophomores that are now the core of the Boise St. football team. Also, don't forget that Oregon St., that looked very ordinary against Boise and TCU just looked pretty strong beating Arizona in AZ, which was supposed one of the PAC-10 big boys.

There is alot of ignorant bias against Boise St. on this forum which drives me nuts ,as we, as Cowboys fans, are the first to jump on the ignorant crap that is said about the Cowboys, but I guess we are free to be ignorant when it comes to other teams.

Don't ge me wrong, I completely understand that the teams in the SEC, Big 12, Big 10, and Pac-10 will end up playing much tougher schedules due their conferences than Boise and TCU, but I also know that Boise and TCU would do flips to join one of the power conferences, but they DON"T GET INVITED!

I can completely understand those that say a champion of one of the big 4 conferences deserves a shot at the NC game over Boise and TCU, but anyone that spouts off crap like "Get in a better conference," or "They wouldn't stand a chance against a real team," is just plain ignorant.