New Combine Positional Metrics

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I’ve been watching the Combine since they ran it in shorts and T-shirt’s and very little has changed in the way of the standard testing metrics (e.g. forty, 3-cone, broad jump, et cetera).

One thing I think would be useful and also intriguing is to have throwing velocity added to the testing for QBs. I think outside of the 40-yard dash it would be the marquee event to broadcast.

cristglo

Reaction score
I would like that and would make it more interesting as you said to the 40. Good idea!

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I’ve been watching the Combine since they ran it in shorts and T-shirt’s and very little has changed in the way of the standard testing metrics (e.g. forty, 3-cone, broad jump, et cetera).

One thing I think would be useful and also intriguing is to have throwing velocity added to the testing for QBs. I think outside of the 40-yard dash it would be the marquee event to broadcast.

They have had that for at least the last three years.

Edit: actually 2008 https://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Quarterback-Ball-Velocity-at-NFL-Combine-2008-2017/10243/dh/

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Yeah, I knew those numbers existed but it’s unclear if those are official numbers or someone independently reporting on the numbers which would be easy to do with a radar gun.

Also, if it isn’t an official metric there’s no guarantee the QBs are throwing it as hard as possible versus trying to be accurate.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Instead of benching 225, I wish they would have them go for a 1 rep max. It'll never happen given that they have to run hundreds of players through it, but I think 5 seconds of maximum power is a more relevant display of upper body strength for football than having players keep benching for a minute straight. As it is, the bench numbers are pretty much just noise.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Two suggestions already in this thread that are begging for player injury.
Max weight bench press and max velocity throw.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Two suggestions already in this thread that are begging for player injury.
Max weight bench press and max velocity throw.

Sorta like running a forty (hamstrings every year), benching repeatedly until fatigued (Billy Price tore his pec last year during the bench testing), or during a position drill (Sidney Jones tote his achilles at his Pro Day; same drill they run at the Combine).

Last edited:

conner01

Reaction score
They already measure velocity
Max weight would be cool but the system now works pretty good measure of strength
When they find a test for heart and desire then they got something