News: New Cowboys secondary coach Maurice Linguist wants “ballhawks” at safety

Mr_437

Reaction score
I dunno...
Not about bringing in good competition!
But I think X would be better served with a more aggressive scheme.
His talents would be better utilized.
Perhaps. He's one of those players the jury is still out on. Dude can play, but can he get a better mindset.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Also Rod came with Monte. So Jason Garrett went from hiring Rob Ryan who is on the far end of one spectrum to an ancient fossil on the opposite end of said teeter-totter?
No. Jerry forced Ryan on Garrett so Garrett brought in Kiffen and Marinelli. Garrett was given a lot of latitude stop pretending he had all of these coaches forced on him.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
wake me up In september. Dont get me wrong I'm glad jg and a lot of coaches are gone because I didnt think itd happen but I'm not buying we're going to be a contender. Will we be better yes. Will the nfce be better no not really. Im just glad change has been made.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Ha ha let there be ball hawks, guess they grow on trees now.

LOL....beat me to it. My first thought also, they don't grow on trees. Ed Reed will tell you a lot goes into being a "ballhawk" safety that has nothing to do with coaches. He's talked about instinct and hours on hours in the film room he learned from Ray Lewis.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Is it to much to ask for a ball hawk that lays the wood. Lol. Maybe one of each. I like one that teams know if you go across the middle or he is close that your getting hit. Even though it draws flags now a days.

ghst187

Reaction score
Ken Hamlin had a great year for us but then got a contract and didn’t do much after....he’s the last real FS I remember....

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
No. Jerry forced Ryan on Garrett so Garrett brought in Kiffen and Marinelli. Garrett was given a lot of latitude stop pretending he had all of these coaches forced on him.
You just told me to stop pretending coaches were forced upon him while saying a coach was forced upon him in the previous sentence. LOL!

johneric8

Reaction score
Well, that’s a novel approach. A player who can make a play on the ball and take it away from the opposing team and not allow them to score while giving your own team the ball and a chance to score? I’m intrigued and wish someone on this board would’ve thought that up by now.

Wow, my mind is blown.

The reason I started this thread was to share a link that gave insight to our new coach. I don't know about you, but finally seeing Garrett leave the building has given me a renewed sense of optimism and a thirst for info on the new coaches. I'm not posting to argue whether we need to go out and get a ball hawking safety, just sharing info on new coaches thoughts.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Everyone wants one but can he develop one is the key to success.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
That’s the first word that came out of the mouth of new Cowboys secondary coach Maurice Linguist when asked what he wants in a safety.

READ MORE
I want a new set of tires for my car, but I have to go out and get them.
At least he is making it known early what is tops on his list, maybe the squeaky wheel gets the grease,, would love to have two ball hawking safties, definitely harder to get than tires.

John813

Reaction score
Hopefully he doesn't pull a Kris Richard and back the DC in taking a project DT when there were better prospects at safety on the board.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Im going to say yes. Look at his record. He’s been getting to most from guys even back at small schools

Sweet. I hope that's right. Time will tell. Maybe it was just good recruiting on his part. The NFL is different.