New Draft Value Chart

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Capture.PNG

https://www.patspulpit.com/2017/4/2...ating-a-brand-new-nfl-draft-value-trade-chart

tm1119

Reaction score
I’ve heard talks that NFL front offices think this is an abnormal draft. The top talent isn’t great but a lot of depth. So that’s going to make 2nd and 3rd round picks are worth more this year apparently.

We’ll see how, if at all, it affects the trades. Teams could take less points in trade to stockpile picks

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
He has the right idea (a trade-fitted value chart), but using only the trades from 2012-2017 seems to be too small of a sample to make it highly accurate. Looking at a handful of trades from last year's draft, that chart seems to undervalue higher picks, making it appear that teams trading up almost always paid too much. The trade-fitted chart that Mr. Bighead made back in 2012 (based on trades from 1993-2012) was still quite a bit more accurate when looking at the same trades from last year's draft. I might need to look at more actual trades to get a better evaluation of Rich Hill's chart, but that's the way it looks at first glance.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
It just occurred to me, I'm Probably gonna stay up late, eat too much and drink too much just to watch us trade out of the first round!
Well, look at the bright side. You won't need an excuse to do it again tomorrow night.

Verdict

Reaction score
He has the right idea (a trade-fitted value chart), but using only the trades from 2012-2017 seems to be too small of a sample to make it highly accurate. Looking at a handful of trades from last year's draft, that chart seems to undervalue higher picks, making it appear that teams trading up almost always paid too much. The trade-fitted chart that Mr. Bighead made back in 2012 (based on trades from 1993-2012) was still quite a bit more accurate when looking at the same trades from last year's draft. I might need to look at more actual trades to get a better evaluation of Rich Hill's chart, but that's the way it looks at first glance.

Good to see you posting. Haven't seen you around. Glad to have you back around