News: New NFL rules and Officiating Problems

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The only way the NFL will ever change is if Goodell gets the boot. He could care less about anything else except for giving it to Dallas everytime the opportunity arrives/presents itself.

CWR

Reaction score
The league is doing everything they can to improve it. No matter what they do it’s never going to make everyone happy. They’ll still be controversial calls because it still comes down to judgment. Even with multiple camera angles and slow-mo replay it’s hard to tell what the correct call is. If it’s not conclusive they stay with the call on the field. If a call doesn’t favor your team fans are going to complain. That will never change. Where the league needs to improve is on the tick-tacky calls. Too many flags are being thrown you have to allow players to play. I don’t like the taunting calls. They’re getting ridiculous! A player can’t even look at another player without getting a taunting penalty. They can cost a team a game.

No they are not doing "whatever they can" to fix the problem. There are several things they can do to make things better and not disrupt the flow of the game.

There is too much technology not being used.

There is no consistency among different crews.

They allow officials to be part time employees rather than spending the off season perfecting their craft.

They over complicate rules and make them overly subjective.

That's off the top of my head. It's obvious they don't view officiating as a problem.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No they are not doing "whatever they can" to fix the problem. There are several things they can do to make things better and not disrupt the flow of the game.

There is too much technology not being used.

There is no consistency among different crews.

They allow officials to be part time employees rather than spending the off season perfecting their craft.

They over complicate rules and make them overly subjective.

That's off the top of my head. It's obvious they don't view officiating as a problem.

They are doing everything they can and technology has clearly improved officiating. They’re able to make calls today because of technology that they would’ve never been able to make without it. The game moves too fast today you need technology to see everything.

CWR

Reaction score
They are doing everything they can and technology has clearly improved officiating. They’re able to make calls today because of technology that they would’ve never been able to make without it. The game moves too fast today you need technology to see everything.

I listed 4 major flaws, you responded to technology only. I think they can do more there as well. Either way address the other 3 glaring red flags and maybe I'll agree they are doing everything they can.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I listed 4 major flaws, you responded to technology only. I think they can do more there as well. Either way address the other 3 glaring red flags and maybe I'll agree they are doing everything they can.

I don’t care to spend all day on this. Everyone has an opinion on officiating and these debates can be never ending. I believe in using every piece of technology available to get the calls right.

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
I don’t care to spend all day on this. Everyone has an opinion on officiating and these debates can be never ending. I believe in using every piece of technology available to get the calls right.

Fair enough brother. I believe the same, only I think that's just the start of making things right.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the biggest way to stop any bias or mistakes. Start handing out fines to the refs for blown calls or missed calls. Players get fined all the time. Watch how fast the officiating gets their act together when their wallet is affected.
Even at 50 cents per mistake the refs would be paying more in fines than they make...

EST_1986

Reaction score
Imagine if the Bucs and Pats end up in the Super Bowl. Brady versus Belichick. The ratings for that game would be crazy! You’ll have even more fans thinking the NFL is rigged. Lol
I mean its two of the best teams in the Super Bowl, no rigging there. Now if last years Patriots team was in the Super Bowl against the Bucs then you could scream rigging

kskboys

Reaction score
Most fans will watch because they know they’re witnessing history. He’s not only the greatest QB to ever play the game but he’s arguably the greatest player. It’s a privilege to able to witness his career. I never got to actually watch Jim Brown and a few other great players play during their careers. I’ve only seen highlights. It’s great to be able to say I saw Tom Brady play.
I doubt it. Here's the thing. Fans either need their team in to root for, or they need someone to root against. Brady vs Belly, there's quite simply no one to root against. Poor matchup for ratings. Need an underdog.

Years ago when the Yanks played the Mets in the WS, they thought it was going to explode the ratings. Instead, it was a nightmare. One of the lowest rated of all time. Why? Both teams were hated. No one to root for or against.