New Numbers for some players

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
Second-year cornerback Trevon Diggs is one of several players that will be switching numbers this year, moving to No. 7. Last year, Diggs wore No. 27 as a rookie but wore No. 7 in college at Alabama.

Other players expected to be on the move with their jerseys include rookies Jabril Cox, who is expected to wear No. 14, Osa Odighizuwa should be moving to No. 97 and Nahshon Wright is headed to No. 25.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Second-year cornerback Trevon Diggs is one of several players that will be switching numbers this year, moving to No. 7. Last year, Diggs wore No. 27 as a rookie but wore No. 7 in college at Alabama.

Other players expected to be on the move with their jerseys include rookies Jabril Cox, who is expected to wear No. 14, Osa Odighizuwa should be moving to No. 97 and Nahshon Wright is headed to No. 25.

I kind of liked Osa in the 75. Reminded me of the good ol' days when we had Martin in the 79, Too Tall in the 72, Lilly in the 74, etc.

Carson

Reaction score
Nice! Diggs will look nice in 7. Jabril and Wright I’m happy about as well. Not a fan of the 40s jerseys

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
It is an iconic number that is supposed to pay homage to the great players that wore that number for Dallas and only people deemed worthy get to wear it, they do the same for #94
They seem to be a little more lenient with 88 though. I loved Dez, but was he worthy of 88? I hope Cee Dee becomes a great player for us, but at this point in his career is he worthy of 88?

I don't see them using 12, 8 and 22 in my lifetime, so I kind of think 88 belongs in that group.

jrumann59

Reaction score
They seem to be a little more lenient with 88 though. I loved Dez, but was he worthy of 88? I hope Cee Dee becomes a great player for us, but at this point in his career is he worthy of 88?

I don't see them using 12, 8 and 22 in my lifetime, so I kind of think 88 belongs in that group.
I think Jerry and company including Irvin and Pearson decides on potential. I believe Irvin and Pearson have to sign off as well.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Isn't Dez our league leader in touchdowns? He most definitely was deserving of it.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On a semi-related note. Ever wonder why #88 is not on the un-official retired numbers list?

Legacy.

And the Cowboys do not retire numbers. It is up to the equipment manager to pass out numbers. And certain numbers will not be given out, ever, to this point. 8, 12, 22, 74. Though 74 is given out in TC because of a numbers game. however with the new numbers rules, I wonder if that will discontinue.

Some feel 54 should be on that list, and maybe 88. But that now has a tradition and legacy attached to it. I think 33 could be added to that as well but understand why not also.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
It is an iconic number that is supposed to pay homage to the great players that wore that number for Dallas and only people deemed worthy get to wear it, they do the same for #94
why don’t we do that for 8 & 12?

gimmesix

Reaction score
And Jethro Pugh wearing 75. As did Tony Casillas in the 90s.

I know some associate it more with offenses, such as Colombo, but yeah, I go back to those defenses having some pretty good linemen wearing numbers in the 70s.

gimmesix

Reaction score
why don’t we do that for 8 & 12?

Again, it's about number shortages. Teams had traditionally carried a lot of players who could wear numbers in the 90s. I mean, you carry 8 to 10 defensive linemen and they all wanted numbers in the 90s, you'd run out. It used to be that only quarterbacks and kickers wore numbers in the teens and below so it was easier to keep certain numbers untouchable.

With the expanded use, it will be much easier for the team to be pickier about giving out certain numbers.