New Orleans (Nawlins!)

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Flying out Friday to visit New Orleans for my first time ever. I'm also going to my first NFL game that didn't include our Dallas Cowboys. Hitting up Titans @ Saints. To be honest, it might be kind of nice to watch a live game where I don't have a dog in the fight. Anyways, we have some plans already put in place to do some touristy things, but if I find any free time, anybody that's been there have any suggestions or must sees for me? I hear it's quite the unique city.

Thanks!

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Hit up Cafe du Monde in the French Quarter for some great beignets. Then, head over to Pat O’Brien’s for some hurricanes. You did say touristy :thumbup:
Funny you mention this, a guy at work was telling me about the hurricane drinks down there. I'm officially intrigued now.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Flying out Friday to visit New Orleans for my first time ever. I'm also going to my first NFL game that didn't include our Dallas Cowboys. Hitting up Titans @ Saints. To be honest, it might be kind of nice to watch a live game where I don't have a dog in the fight. Anyways, we have some plans already put in place to do some touristy things, but if I find any free time, anybody that's been there have any suggestions or must sees for me? I hear it's quite the unique city.

Thanks!
After a night in new orleans you might have a new dog in the fight

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Great city. Get the food. Cajun, Creole, French…. You won’t regret it.

Enjoy some Nawleans Jazz, and take one of the cemetery or Voodoo tours.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
One of my favorite places for breakfast/brunch is the Ruby Slipper. It's like a block from Canal. They have great benedicts. Oh, and Pat O’Brien’s sucks, Ha. There are much cooler places to get Hurricanes.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I love the Erin Rose bar on Conti. It's in the Quarter but on a side street and doesn't get as busy. It has the best Po Boy shop in the back in all the Quarter called Killer Po-Boys. Great place to eat and drink. As mentioned Cafe Du Monde beignets are a late night staple to soak up all the alcohol. Also mentioned above the Ruby Slipper has multiple locations and great benedicts. Cochon Butcher on Tchoupitoulas makes the best muffaletta in NO. For Oysters, Mr. Ed's Oyster Bar on Bienville makes the best chargrilled oysters I've ever had and it's my official Death Row meal.

Outside the Quarter Magazine Street is pretty cool and you can take a street car from Canal street to get there. Lots of shops and restaurants there as well as being in walking distance of Lafayette Cemetery NO.1. Atchafalaya Restaurant just off Magazine is fantastic and has daily changing menus. Also both the Audubon Zoo and Audubon Aquarium are great.

Frenchman Street is better than the Quarter to me though and you'll find better night life and music there. Frenchman reminds me more of what NO was like when I was a kid and it's the neighborhood we stay in now at the Royal Frenchman. It's a great location and you can walk Royal Street all the way back to the Quarter.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
So, I'm back. Absolutely loved New Orleans. It was fantastic and I had a great time. We did all the cool touristy things: French Quarter, airboat ride to spot alligators, walking tour, dinner on a boat in the Mississippi River, aquarium, and I even caught a Saints game. Honestly, for as old as the Superdome is, I thought it was a pretty nice stadium.

Only thing we didn't get to do was a cemetery tour. Apparently they are all locked now and there is only one tour company that has been granted permission to give tours of them (from what I understand). I also really wanted to drive down St. Charles and go to the Garden District, but we just never had time.

Anyways, I loved my visit. Incredibly unique city and I had a blast. Would absolutely visit again.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
So, I'm back. Absolutely loved New Orleans. It was fantastic and I had a great time. We did all the cool touristy things: French Quarter, airboat ride to spot alligators, walking tour, dinner on a boat in the Mississippi River, aquarium, and I even caught a Saints game. Honestly, for as old as the Superdome is, I thought it was a pretty nice stadium.

Only thing we didn't get to do was a cemetery tour. Apparently they are all locked now and there is only one tour company that has been granted permission to give tours of them (from what I understand). I also really wanted to drive down St. Charles and go to the Garden District, but we just never had time.

Anyways, I loved my visit. Incredibly unique city and I had a blast. Would absolutely visit again.
Cool deal. Sounds fun.

There are a few cities in the USA everyone should experience at least once before they kick it, and New Orleans is still one, even after the Katrina devastation.

Big_D

Reaction score
It’s an amazing place that really encourages a big party atmosphere. And the food rocks. It’s been awhile since my visit but I definitely want to get back.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
If you are a history buff the World War II museum is an all day outstanding must see visit.

I personally don't care for NOLA and it has become a dangerous place with corrupt policing and city government. Stay with your group.

Having also said all that if your an outdoors type an offshore charter to the Chandeleur Islands is some of the best fishing you'll ever encounter for bay type species. Speckled Trout and redfish will wear you out.