New PC needed - Desktop

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
For games.

Mostly strategy games - not the high and fast graphics games.

EVE - World of Warships.

Any suggestions without going over the top? Windows 10 would be the operating system.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I bought the alienware area 51 about 3 years ago. I don't play many games anymore but the machine runs the games well when i do play them. I added a 1TB SSD samsung, and the only thing i ever had to replace was the power supply just recently.

It's a heavy machine not easy to move around if needed.

nobody

Reaction score
Build it yourself. Bang for the buck with good quality. It cannot be beat.

This. It's actually much simpler than it sounds and you'll definitely save a bunch of money. In the past, I've never been able to purchase a prebuilt system without running into problems that required dealing with that company multiple times. They don't seem to quality control check the systems they check before selling them to you. The advantage is that with a warranty, you don't have to worry about fixing it yourself.

Building one yourself saves you money and lets you hand pick each part so that you'll know what upgrades in the future the power supply, motherboard, etc are capable of handling. If you can't afford something all at once, building it yourself is advantageous as well. Can't afford 16 GB of ram? Buy 8 now and 8 later.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
I'm not into the build it yourself.
I leave that to the experts.

I would like something for slow game play.

Eve On-line, World of Warships.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Not pushing you to build your own, but PCs are actually pretty simple to build. They are like putting a kids puzzle together. (meaning big puzzle pieces that are easy to determine where they go)

That said, you do end up supporting any issues yourself, but on the plus side. If you pick your parts carefully, you usually do not end up with many issues. If you do have one, it's usually a bad part and you find it as soon as you put it together so you can replace it immediately via RMA for a working one.

The best part about it is you get a far higher quality of PC for a lower price. Those cheap desktops that you can buy for $300. You definitely get what you pay for there.

Speaking of World of Warships. What the hell is that sloth award I got a few days ago? It showed up after the game was over when I was back at the shipyard menu.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score

You get a like just for the fact that you play Eve.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Speaking of World of Warships. What the hell is that sloth award I got a few days ago? It showed up after the game was over when I was back at the shipyard menu.

No idea. I got something the other day for completing missions.
A French Battleship and a skipper with +3 to apply to modules.

They can keep it - it is a slow tug boat waiting to get sunk.
Guns did not hit worth spit and were missing most of the time.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
No idea. I got something the other day for completing missions.
A French Battleship and a skipper with +3 to apply to modules.

They can keep it - it is a slow tug boat waiting to get sunk.
Guns did not hit worth spit and were missing most of the time.

Yeah, I saw that French stuff last night too. I played those battle of the week and when it was over. I had my normal container, but it gave me three more French containers that said something about some ships it sounded like it was giving me, but I didn't see any in my shipyard list.

It did give me a bunch of other stuff too though that was good. So, I played one battle and ended up with four containers. Can't complain about that! Those weekly battles pay the big bucks if you get a team that is at least half-***ed and don't immediately wipe.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that French stuff last night too. I played those battle of the week and when it was over. I had my normal container, but it gave me three more French containers that said something about some ships it sounded like it was giving me, but I didn't see any in my shipyard list.

It did give me a bunch of other stuff too though that was good. So, I played one battle and ended up with four containers. Can't complain about that! Those weekly battles pay the big bucks if you get a team that is at least half-***ed and don't immediately wipe.

Yes. Had one last night - ran around the far side of two brothers.
The other team kept sending one ship around the corner which my team sank.

I went to their backs and did a area CAP on them when they got down to 5 ships.

Then I got the extras. I'll try for others with the French ship tonight. They show something and a +6 captain.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
I watched youtube tutorials how to build one, first time making one 0 BSODs. Better than any of my older desktops.

Preoccupied

Reaction score

If you are not going to build it yourself. We need more information and the most important are

Budget
Research Time

Then we move onto what to compare with over cost and features and which websites can assist you.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
If you are not going to build it yourself. We need more information and the most important are

Budget
Research Time

Then we move onto what to compare with over cost and features and which websites can assist you.

Budget under $1000.
I don't think I need to replace the monitor I currently have - flat panel.

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
you could have not picked a worse time...Cryptocurrency mining has pretty much made everything so pricey.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Budget under $1000.
I don't think I need to replace the monitor I currently have - flat panel.
If you use Reddit consider posting on r/buildapcforme. They will help with the parts. Be warned though that GPUs are crazy expensive right now so you might not get the same caliber rig you could have before the mining problem.