Newy Scruggs Mock 1.0 (J.Stewart - 22, Flowers - 28)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
April 14, 2008

Newdawg’s Mock Draft 1.0

Filed under: Uncategorized — newyscruggs @ 5:37 pm

This is the Newdawg’s Mock Draft. 1.0

1. Miami
Jake Long OT Michigan
Dolphins already trying to make a deal with the big man from Michigan.

2. St. Louis
Chris Long DE Virginia
The Rams need to be sure they get a productive player. Long is as sure as it gets.

3. Atlanta
Glenn Dorsey DT LSU
The Falcons has needs all over. Why not go with a man who can dominate and draw double teams along the defensive line.

4. Oakland
Darren McFadden RB Arkansas
The Raiders don’t need him, but DMC is an upgrade over Justin Fargas and Dominic Rhodes

5. Kansas City
Matt Ryan QB Boston College
Have you seen Brodie Croyle play? That guy is not a NFL starter, Ryan is.

6. N.Y. Jets
Vernon Gholston DE Ohio State
I think this is the most overated guy in the top ten. The Jets keep him from New England.

7. New England
Leodis McKelvin CB Troy
The Pats took a hit in the secondary this offsesaon. McKelvin helps them in the secondary and return game.

8. Baltimore
Ryan Clady OT Boise State
Ozzie Newsome always makes the right pick. Jonathan Ogden is calling it quits so they need a left tackle.

9. Cincinnati
Sedrick Ellis DT USC
The Bengals toothless defense needs Ellis. You have to stop the run in the AFC North.

10. New Orleans Saints
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB Tennessee State
The Saints take the small school corner who’s cousin is Antonio Cromartie of the Chargers.

11. Buffalo
Devin Thomas WR Michigan State
I think it’s too high for him, but Thomas fills a need for the Bills offense

12. Denver
Brenden Albert OL Virginia
Safe pick and Albert can play guard or tackle.

13. Carolina
Derrick Harvey DE Florida
They could use a tackle, but they need a starter on the other side of Julius Peppers.

14. Chicago
Jeff Otah T Pittsburgh
Playing the Vikings and Packers defenses twice a year, protection is priority number one.

15. Detroit
Rashard Mendenhall RB Illinois
The Lions want to run in ‘08. This is the horse they need. Might be the best RB in the draft.

16. Arizona
Philip Merling DE Clemson
The Cards need a pass rush, especially in the NFC West.

17. Minnesota
Chris Williams T Vanderbilt
Bryant McKinnie’s off the field act is getting stale. Williams gives the Vikings options.

18. Houston
Mike Jenkins CB South Florida
If you are giving Jacques Reeves 8 million up front…you have problems at corner.

19. Philadelphia
Keith Rivers LB USC
The Eagles can’t pass on this premier talent.

20. Tampa Bay
Aquib Talib CB Kansas
The weed issues will scare away most teams, but not the Bucs.

21. Washington
Calais Campbell DE Miami
Skins need to get to the quarterback. Only 33 sacks last year.

22. Dallas Cowboys
Jonathan Stewart RB Oregon
The Cowboys need a backup to Marion Barber and get the 3rd best RB in the draft.

23. Pittsburgh
Gosder Cherilus T Boston College
The BC program produces some solid guys. You must protect 100M man Rothlisberger.

24. Tennessee
DeSean Jackson WR California
Vince Young needs targets. Jackson also helps the return game.

25. Seattle
Kentwan Balmer DT North Carolina
The Giants model of a great front four makes its way to Seattle.

26. Jacksonville
Lawrence Jackson, DE USC
The Jags need to keep that defensive pressure tight to compete against Indy in the division.

27. San Diego
Antoine Cason CB Arizona
Underrated player who will fill the nickel spot.

28. Dallas Cowboys
Brandon Flowers CB Virginia Tech
5-11 and 192 pounds. Can play man to man. A must in the Phillips 3-4 defense.

29. San Francisco
Limas Sweed WR Texas
This might be high for Sweed, but the Niners can’t wait till the 2nd round to get help at WR.

30. Green Bay
Justin King CB Penn State
Packers go for depth and plan for the future at corner.

31. New England
Forfeited pick

32. N.Y. Giants
Kenny Phillips S Miami
Leadership skills fit what G-Men are all about.

Comments (1)

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
I like that draft but I would rather take Cason at #22 and Phillips at #28 and trade up for Ray Rice or CJ.

Gaede

Reaction score
I like Flowers alot. Still not sure what to think about Stewart though

aggiecurt05

Reaction score
HoleInTheRoof;2037409 said:
Horrible.

Absolutely horrible.

How is this horrible? Stewart would be an absolute steal at 22.

Cason at 22? Some project him to go in the 3rd round, definitely not before 28.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I continue feel Stewart is the only back who is reasonable at 22 - I've got him as the 3rd best back in the draft

ddh33

Reaction score
I wish I knew just a little more about Stewart's injury. As is now, he's the guy I would predict would be the pick. I just think that the Cowboys will go after someone a little bigger and stronger than Felix Jones.

I will say this though, Mel Kiper thinks that Felix Jones is a lot like Reggie Bush. I know that has its pros and cons, but he is someone you will have to account for on defense.

DFWJC

Reaction score
aggiecurt05;2037430 said:
How is this horrible? Stewart would be an absolute steal at 22.

Stewart is really starting to drop on many mocks...but again, they are just mocks and we are here to make our own opinions. So, yes, if you like him a ton, he could be a steal at 22.

sago1

Reaction score
What happens if Stewart's toe injury isn't fully healed when TC opens? His agent's guarantee doesn't mean anything. Last year Stanbach was supposed to be ready to go by TC, but another problem occurred because he off his feet so long. If Cowboys sign a vet RB who can handle #2 RB job (good rusher/receiver/blitz pickup) until Stewart can work his way in then I'm okay with drafting Stewart.

aggiecurt05

Reaction score
DFWJC;2037490 said:
Stewart is really starting to drop on many mocks...but again, they are just mocks and we are here to make our own opinions. So, yes, if you like him a ton, he could be a steal at 22.

To me, you have to ask what has happened between now and the season that hurt his stock. Early on many "experts" had him in the top 10, and VERY few thought he'd be around at 22. So... he has a small foot surgery that should be a non issue by training camp and he's dropping below 22? McGahee tore his ACL and MCL that would surely sideline him for much longer. Didn't he go right around 22? To me, this is an example of fans and "experts" creating news because we have nothing better to do.

ddh33

Reaction score
I think there is a great chance that Stewart drops all the way to Dallas, and I don't think the surgery is the only reason. I think a couple of the RBs may fall a bit due to a run at other positions. Stewart's toe only gives teams more reason to go get the other player they wanted.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
speedkilz88;2037514 said:
Does he really think Flowers is 5-11?
Do you really think he isn't?

He got measured by someone at the combine or his pro day is all I'm saying.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2037530 said:
Do you really think he isn't?

He got measured by someone at the combine or his pro day is all I'm saying.
The guy that measured him got 5-9 3/4 I believe.:rolleyes:

DFWJC

Reaction score
aggiecurt05;2037515 said:
To me, you have to ask what has happened between now and the season that hurt his stock. Early on many "experts" had him in the top 10, and VERY few thought he'd be around at 22. So... he has a small foot surgery that should be a non issue by training camp and he's dropping below 22? McGahee tore his ACL and MCL that would surely sideline him for much longer. Didn't he go right around 22? To me, this is an example of fans and "experts" creating news because we have nothing better to do.

I agree, it could be an overreaction. Sometimes they do over-analyze this stuff. I think besides the toe issue, some are concerned with the system that Stewart played in. It's becoming a bit of an issue with scouting the backs lately because there are so many odd systems. 1st the teams were burned by system QBs (see Andre Ware, Klingler, Wuerffel) and now folks are wary of the RBs. It is not the same, but is worth a closer look. Recall that McGahee ran out of a pro set and was considered pretty much a sure thing before his injury.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
PFW has an interesting report on Stewart.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2008/wwhi041508.htm

From the article --

There is a perception being propelled by the media and the teams that are chomping at the bit to draft Oregon RB Jonathan Stewart that the toe injury on which he had surgery could push him into the second round.

The way we hear it, this perception could not be any further from what will actually happen on Draft Day. Stewart, who finished the season playing with the injury, showed he was capable of clocking in the mid-4.4s at 235 pounds and is expected to be at full health in time for training camp, according to three team sources who have consulted with their team doctors. Of the elite backs in this draft, he is the thickest, strongest and best capable of running between the tackles.

Not only is he strong and compact, he also receives high marks from team evaluators for his ability to catch and block. PFW polled 10 teams regarding how they viewed this year’s elite running backs, including five that needed backs and five that did not.

Of the teams with needs at the position, a perhaps surprisingly unanimous five said Stewart would become the best pro from this year’s draft.

“He will wear (defenses) down,” said one veteran evaluator not in position to land Stewart. “He does everything well. He has good vision. He runs with his feet underneath him. He is incredibly strong. He’s the closest (player) in this draft to Ronnie Brown — and he is twice the competitor. Ronnie was not nearly as tough.”

Three of the five with no need for a running back — and thus less likely to have invested a lot of time studying talent that they did not view to be in consideration — rated Darren McFadden the most highly. Two others with no need regarded Stewart to be the best.

Possible landing spots for a back in the first round include the Raiders, Jets, Patriots, Bengals, Broncos, Panthers, Bears, Cardinals, Texans, Cowboys, Steelers and 49ers. However, the Broncos and Texans are not likely to invest heavily in the position given their zone-blocking schemes.

The surprise contender for Stewart’s services, league evaluators surmise, is New England, which holds the seventh overall pick and has lacked a true bell cow in the backfield since Corey Dillon retired.

ljs44

Reaction score
I've been hoping the team gets Stewart since the Browns finished 10-6 and mcfadden became a pipe dream.

He's the real deal