NewyScruggs: Cowboys-Chargers Thoughts

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
I do agree with you, Stash. Carpenter played the better game and Burnett seems to get a pass. Although I think the reason is based on last year and it isn't entirely off base to do so.

Maybe a better way of wording it would be, "Burnett played a poor game but don't let that change your thoughts on him. He did a couple things nice and will be ready to fill in like he did last year. Carpenter played slightly better but don't let that fool you. He showed nothing to make anyone think that he has turned a corner or is ready for any type of starting role."

Would that work better for you if it were worded like that?

dest

Reaction score
Rampage;2187741 said:
that 28 yard reception by felix was great. the stupid homer charger commentator says "and he has nowhere to go" right when felix caught it than watched him run 28 yards right through the middle of the chargers D.

:laugh2:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Velvet Jones;2188909 said:
I do agree with you, Stash. Carpenter played the better game and Burnett seems to get a pass. Although I think the reason is based on last year and it isn't entirely off base to do so.

Maybe a better way of wording it would be, "Burnett played a poor game but don't let that change your thoughts on him. He did a couple things nice and will be ready to fill in like he did last year. Carpenter played slightly better but don't let that fool you. He showed nothing to make anyone think that he has turned a corner or is ready for any type of starting role."

Would that work better for you if it were worded like that?

It might.

But when someone writes something about Saturday's game, I expect the information to be about Saturday's game.

I think that's what I have the problem with.

Scruggs seems to use the past to praise Burnett's poor game and the past to attack Carpenter.

Last year was last year. If you say you're critiquing Saturday's game, do that.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
joseephuss;2187733 said:
Why would anyone laugh at that? It is obvious that Witten has the potential to be a HoFamer. He just has to keep playing at the same level for several more years. His yards per reception has gone up every single year he has been in the league. He also already owns the Cowboys' records for receptions and yards in a single season and for a career as a tight end. The next records are for TD receptions by a tight end.

Gates is on that same path to the HoF if he continues to play at the level he has been playing at the last few years.

I'm wondering if Witten's chances will be hurt by both Gonzales and Gates going into the HOF 1st. I realize they may not make it, but odds are that they will. Will the voters say "enough TEs already"? It would be a shame if that happens, because Witt is arguable a better all-around TE than either of them right now, and he's only in his mid-20s.

fortdick

Reaction score
stasheroo;2188643 said:
Huh?

The title of the article is "my quick take on the Cowboys 31-17 loss to San Diego to open the preseason"

Why would Burnett not be judged solely on what he did on Saturday?

It seems acceptable to bash Carpenter, but Burnett gets to slide?

Not to me.

In fact Carp played a better game than Burnett did and cleaned up several of his mistakes.

And if limited playing time is Burnett's 'excuse', how come the same limited playing time apparently holds no weight for Carpenter?

Looks to me to be one of two things, a bias against Carpenter or the guy didn't actually watch the game.

I am finding more and more that all I have to do is wait and Stasheroo will voice my opinions better than me.

Is there something wrong with me?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
fortdick;2189271 said:
I am finding more and more that all I have to do is wait and Stasheroo will voice my opinions better than me.

Is there something wrong with me?

Not at all!

Quite the opposite in fact!

:laugh2:

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
joseephuss;2187738 said:
Because he is not being judged solely on what he did on Saturday. He played well as a nickel linebacker last season.

Stop right there, go back and watch tapes. Burnett stunk last season. His "coverage" consists of letting the tailback catch the ball and hoping that there's enough distance to the first down than any linebacker in the NFL could make the stop. He also missed a lot of tackles and committed silly penalties last year. Good athlete, good kid, works hard, but not a good player.

YAKUZA

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
LeonDixson;2189192 said:
I'm wondering if Witten's chances will be hurt by both Gonzales and Gates going into the HOF 1st. I realize they may not make it, but odds are that they will. Will the voters say "enough TEs already"? It would be a shame if that happens, because Witt is arguable a better all-around TE than either of them right now, and he's only in his mid-20s.

The voters should be shot if that's their reasoning.

Witten is THE most productive tight end in history at his age. If he keeps it up for the rest of his career, he should be a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2189440 said:
The voters should be shot if that's their reasoning.

Witten is THE most productive tight end in history at his age. If he keeps it up for the rest of his career, he should be a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

I agree wholeheartedly with you Adam. But Bob Hayes is being kept out of the HOF in part because he kept his hands tucked into the front of his pants during the ice bowl game. It seems no reason is stupid enough to keep the voters from using it.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
joseephuss;2187733 said:
Why would anyone laugh at that? It is obvious that Witten has the potential to be a HoFamer. He just has to keep playing at the same level for several more years. His yards per reception has gone up every single year he has been in the league. He also already owns the Cowboys' records for receptions and yards in a single season and for a career as a tight end. The next records are for TD receptions by a tight end.

Gates is on that same path to the HoF if he continues to play at the level he has been playing at the last few years.

I look at his stats from last year being 96 catches for 1200 yards and I say Wow because I clearly remember he sort of dissappeared in the last 5 or 6 games.... that is not a knock cuz defenses may of shifted their defensive focus to Witten more, its just that he go a lot considering that.

Now that we have more weapons in Felix, Austin, among others that will only open it up more for Witten.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
LeonDixson;2189447 said:
I agree wholeheartedly with you Adam. But Bob Hayes is being kept out of the HOF in part because he kept his hands tucked into the front of his pants during the ice bowl game. It seems no reason is stupid enough to keep the voters from using it.

And Art Monk is in the HOF because certain voters were just tired of all the bytchin'. :lmao2:

joseephuss

Reaction score
RW Hitman;2189495 said:
I look at his stats from last year being 96 catches for 1200 yards and I say Wow because I clearly remember he sort of dissappeared in the last 5 or 6 games.... that is not a knock cuz defenses may of shifted their defensive focus to Witten more, its just that he go a lot considering that.

Now that we have more weapons in Felix, Austin, among others that will only open it up more for Witten.

I don't think your memory is that clear. One of his biggest games was game #13 against the Lions when he had 15 receptions and the game winning TD. He was pretty consistent throughout the year. He didn't do much in the season finale, but who did? No one showed up with much enthusiasm in that last game.

Games 1-4
20 receptions
304 yards
15.20 avg
3 TDs

Games 5-8
25 receptions
313 yards
12.52 avg
2 TDs

Games 9-12

20 receptions
200 yards
10.00 avg
1 TD

Games 12-16
31 receptions
328 yards
10.58 avg
1 TD

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
RW Hitman;2189495 said:
I say Wow because I clearly remember he sort of dissappeared in the last 5 or 6 games.... that is not a knock cuz defenses may of shifted their defensive focus to Witten more, its just that he go a lot considering that.

month of December...15 catches vs Detroit, 8 more vs Philly (both games over 100 yds too), 6 at Carolina...didnt play much vs Washington, then caught 7 more vs NYG in the playoffs

not sure what happened, maybe you slept through those games or something, but Witten definitely didnt disappear the last 5 or 6 games

David

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2189440 said:
Witten is THE most productive tight end in history at his age.
Although tight ends are targeted more now than in the past, the next closest NFC tight end to Witten in receptions was Cooley with 66 catches to Witten's 96. That difference of 30 receptions was largest margin by far between 1st and 2nd place in the history of either conference.