Next Great Player From U Of Md-terps

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
The best Tight end in football resides in College Park Maryland and plays for the University of Maryland- He is 6'3" and is 250 lbs of all muscle. He led the terps in receptions in 2003- with 58.

He runs a legit 4.5

He owns the terps record for bench press by a tight end and as a matter of fact he is currently the strongest member of the team-with a bench press of 465 lbs- according to coach Ralph Friedgen.

HIS NAME IS VERNON DAVIS

Ive seen this guy play at least a dozen games and he is the real deal- the Terps havent had a top flight receiver in a few years and the other teams consistently double and triple team this kid and he still gets open. He makes difficult catches,one handed catches and is a good route runner-

He had 100 yard games against FSU,Virginia and DUke- he would have had more but the QB situation at Maryland last year was weak-

MARK MY WORDS -HE WILL BE A TOP 20 PICK IN NEXT YEARS DRAFT
He may even go top 10

Coach Ralph Friedgen when asked which player would you trade a trait of yours for his-
He reponded," without a doubt Id take Vernon Davis' body any day of the weak-he is put together great."

He is the best athlete on the offense-please watch for him this year.

On defense DeQwell Jackson
will be top 50 choice in next years draft- watch for this outside backer at Maryland- many on this board believed he was the best player( from highlights) on the Md defense last year-only time will tell.

As some background I informed the board of:

KRIS JENKINS
LAMONT JORDAN-who I saw at a strip club his rookie year and
SHAWN MERRIMAN this year.

http://umterps.collegesports.com/m-footbl/mtt/davis_vernon00.html

Woods

Reaction score
Is Jackson potentially more dominant than Merriman?

I read some conflicting reports on this and other boards that Jackson was more of a playmaker than Merriman.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Jackson is #52 right? he looked like the next derrick Brooks. Every Merriman "highlight" reel showed Jackson dominate while Merriman did a little bit here and there.

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
Woods said:
Is Jackson potentially more dominant than Merriman?

I read some conflicting reports on this and other boards that Jackson was more of a playmaker than Merriman.

Jackson is more fleet as a linebacker- more of a Derrick Johnson type- in terms of style of play- he is more athletic and faster than Merriman-

Merriman has more size,speed,ferocity and is more tenacious on defense- he also has the heart of a champion and a desire to be great- if DEQwell has that desire than the sky is the limit-

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
Muhast said:
Jackson is #52 right? he looked like the next derrick Brooks. Every Merriman "highlight" reel showed Jackson dominate while Merriman did a little bit here and there.

Many loved him more than Merriman from the highlight reel- trust me when I say this Merriman made the majority of the plays on defense and he can rush the passer-

DeQwell is Derrick Brooks like -in terms of ability- I compared him to Derrick Johnson who I have already compared with Brooks but we ll see-

DO ME A FAVOR AND PLEASE CHECK THIS GUY OUT THIS YEAR-Vernon Davis is a first round talent while DeQwell is most likely a second round talent-both will be GREAT PROS and I emphasize the word

GREAT

VThokie7

Reaction score
Don't you think your starting to become just a little bit of a homer? You hyped up Merriman, now Davis and Jackson. I'll give you Jackson is a very good player, but Davis doesn't impress me enough to move into the top 20. Not to mention the horrible QB's MD will be throwning out on the field, its going to be hard for anybody who needs to catch the ball to get anywhere. But i'll get a first hand look at the Terps yet again when the Hokies come to Byrd, I was at Lane for the thursday night game this past season.

Reaction score
GG, you got it right on VD. The kid is incredible. The play in the FSU game last year where you jumped OVER (and I mean WAAAAY over...see below) the DB trying to tackle him was incredible. Saw him in live action at the Duke game, too, and if the QB position would ever be somewhat decent, he would put up some other-worldly numbers. Hopefully we can get his brother in a Terp uniform, too.

p1_maryland_ap.jpg

And DQwell Jackson will have an outstanding senior year. Only thing that will keep him down, in some NFL people's eyes, will be his size. But he makes plays, so someone will be fortunate to have him on their roster next year.

Laslty, for those who didn't know, Terp is short for Terrapin, which is a species of Diamonback turtle native to the Maryland/Chesapeake Bay area.

terp6a.jpg

Reaction score
VTHokie, you just HAD to bring up that game, didn't you? :ralph:

Sad thing is, the best QB (or at least potentially best) on the roster, may not play at all this season. We'll see how things go in the Spring Game this weekend. Hopefully someone will step up and show something to give us Terp fans some hope for this season.

VThokie7

Reaction score
BigDInCharlotte said:
VTHokie, you just HAD to bring up that game, didn't you? :ralph:

Sad thing is, the best QB (or at least potentially best) on the roster, may not play at all this season. We'll see how things go in the Spring Game this weekend. Hopefully someone will step up and show something to give us Terp fans some hope for this season.

Just saying I was there :rolleyes: , who are you calling the best QB? Steffy? Speaking of him how is he doing? I couldn't believe how he went down from that attempted tackle, i give him all the credit in the world for putting his helmet in there and trying, but I hope everything is alright for him....

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
BigDInCharlotte said:
GG, you got it right on VD. The kid is incredible. The play in the FSU game last year where you jumped OVER (and I mean WAAAAY over...see below) the DB trying to tackle him was incredible. Saw him in live action at the Duke game, too, and if the QB position would ever be somewhat decent, he would put up some other-worldly numbers. Hopefully we can get his brother in a Terp uniform, too.

p1_maryland_ap.jpg

And DQwell Jackson will have an outstanding senior year. Only thing that will keep him down, in some NFL people's eyes, will be his size. But he makes plays, so someone will be fortunate to have him on their roster next year.

Laslty, for those who didn't know, Terp is short for Terrapin, which is a species of Diamonback turtle native to the Maryland/Chesapeake Bay area.

terp6a.jpg

Well of course, how stupid of me :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Yeah, VTHokie, I was referring to Steffy. Right now he is having problems with his throwing elbow and one of his knees. He hasn't even practiced but once or twice this spring. Word is he may end up having surgery on the elbow, which would put him out until right around the start of fall camp. And if he has the knee surgery, it could be a redshirt year for him. There is still hope that he can rehab the knee, but it's all up in the air right now.

And that was a viscious hit he took from your LB in that game. Had he not gotten hurt, he would have started the last game of the year against Wake, and we would have been able to see what he can do when not coming in already down by 20 or more points.

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
I may seem like a homer-but thats because I only talk about players that I have seen play a few times- Some on this board take the opinion of others as their own- I never do that

Look on any prospect ranking site and this guy is probably not top 100 for next year but I guarantee you guys that by the draft he will be top 20-barring an injury-

Vernon Davis is the next Winslow- in terms of talent

and the next Bavarro - in terms of heart and passion for the game-

That makes him very dangerous

VThokie7

Reaction score
BigDInCharlotte said:
Yeah, VTHokie, I was referring to Steffy. Right now he is having problems with his throwing elbow and one of his knees. He hasn't even practiced but once or twice this spring. Word is he may end up having surgery on the elbow, which would put him out until right around the start of fall camp. And if he has the knee surgery, it could be a redshirt year for him. There is still hope that he can rehab the knee, but it's all up in the air right now.

And that was a viscious hit he took from your LB in that game. Had he not gotten hurt, he would have started the last game of the year against Wake, and we would have been able to see what he can do when not coming in already down by 20 or more points.

Sorry to hear that on Steffy, but I was worried it was his neck, atleast its something he can rehab. I'm not a MD fan but for your sake I hope you guys don't have to use Statham, that guy is absolutely HORRIBLE.

And Ghetto I realize your only hyping up players you see alot and that is good, but putting Davis in the top 10? Outside of Winslow what TE has gone that high, and i'm sorry Davis isn't quite Winslow, and he doesn't have the hype or name to push him that high. WIth subpar QB play and without the Winslow name, even if the talent was comparable he'd be lucky to be in the top 20 just b/c TE's don't go that high. But I was very happy with his performance against FSU, helped guarentee us ACC Champs :D

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
VThokie7 said:
And Ghetto I realize your only hyping up players you see alot and that is good, but putting Davis in the top 10? Outside of Winslow what TE has gone that high, and i'm sorry Davis isn't quite Winslow, and he doesn't have the hype or name to push him that high. WIth subpar QB play and without the Winslow name, even if the talent was comparable he'd be lucky to be in the top 20 just b/c TE's don't go that high. But I was very happy with his performance against FSU, helped guarentee us ACC Champs :D

You are correct sir-

top 20- very confident in

top 10- with a good season and tremendous workouts-I still believe that is possible.....

if he runs a 4.5 and benches 225- 25x while looking shifty in the hips HE WILL BE TOP A TOP 10 PICK

Reaction score
GG did you go to the Spring Game? Based on what I read on TerpTown.com, the QBs didn't really wow anybody, but Hollenbach is sounding at least like he is solid, if not spectacular. If he can get the ball to Vernon in space, that would go a LONG way toward improving the offense, as well as making VD more visible to NFL scouts.