Next Super Bowl

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
NFC team is up by 1 pt with 5.39 left in the game and they’ve just received the kickoff at the 25 yard line after a touchback. What does the OC do to run out the clock?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Run the ball. This is where a great ground can win you a game, just keep the chains moving.

plasticman

Reaction score
They hand the ball off to Rico and Zeke and run out the clock against an already fatigued defense.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Depends on the teams. Timeouts?

Strictly running can mean a quick 3 and out.

plymkr

Reaction score
NFC team is up by 1 pt with 5.39 left in the game and they’ve just received the kickoff at the 25 yard line after a touchback. What does the OC do to run out the clock?
Mobile QB, or a QB that can run a little, play action QB draw and see if you can pick up 2 or 3 positive yards.

Immobile QB, like Aaron Rodgers or Purdy, run it. Take some time off and see what positive yards you can get.

I still think the play that won the Chiefs the Super Bowl was when Mahomes kept it and scrambled up the middle for about 10 yards. That was such a clutch momentum play.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Mobile QB, or a QB that can run a little, play action QB draw and see if you can pick up 2 or 3 positive yards.

Immobile QB, like Aaron Rodgers or Purdy, run it. Take some time off and see what positive yards you can get.

I still think the play that won the Chiefs the Super Bowl was when Mahomes kept it and scrambled up the middle for about 10 yards. That was such a clutch momentum play.
That was a key play but also don’t forget how Pacheco ran the ball in that last drive.

Flamma

Reaction score
They’re already up by 1. They just need to run out the clock and win the game.
In my example they were up by 4, I just neglected to mention that.

Up by 1 with over 5 minutes left, you have to get first downs. At least two of them, maybe three if they have first downs. Try one run, if it gets stuffed, you have to pass the ball. If you get 5-7 yards, keep doing it.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
In my example they were up by 4, I just neglected to mention that.

Up by 1 with over 5 minutes left, you have to get first downs. At least two of them, maybe three if they have first downs. Try one run, if it gets stuffed, you have to pass the ball. If you get 5-7 yards, keep doing it.
So give up after 1 run? If you have a better than average running game, you run out the clock. You might have to sprinkle in a pass every now and then, but a good running game can run out the clock.

Flamma

Reaction score
So give up after 1 run? If you have a better than average running game, you run out the clock. You might have to sprinkle in a pass every now and then, but a good running game can run out the clock.
Well sure. But every team knows this. If you get 1 yard, or no gain, you can't afford to run into the line again. Or you could be looking at a 3rd and long and giving them the ball back with plenty of time left. They won't be running the ball.

Watch this short video. The Jets miss an extra point to tie with 2:30 to go. Score is 17-16. That's where this video ends. What you don't see are the Jets run the ball 3 times into the line, punt it to Miami, and proceed to lose when Miami kicks a FG.

I understand what you're saying. But with over 5 minutes left, you have to get first downs.