Next Up... MBIII

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Now that Tony is signed long term I think we may try to get Barber signed as well and see if we can get some of his bonus money put into this year cap. If I understand it right, we can charge an amount to this years cap if it's done before Nov 5th.

We have (had) plenty of cap space for this year and we aren't using so maybe this happens. If not Barber, who else? JJ?

Mansta54

Reaction score
I bet you're correct. JJ will want as much cap room as possible to sign key FA's in the off season...

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
I think we should get a CB in FA. any good ones gonna be out there? or we might as well draft one...

Woods

Reaction score
kØwbØy;1735454 said:
I think we should get a CB in FA. any good ones gonna be out there? or we might as well draft one...

I think we draft a CB high this year, and we extend Newman as well.

jchocolate82

Reaction score
We still have to lock up Newman. As much as I love me some MB3 if we somehow didnt lock up Newman that would hurt more and it would just piss me off.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Woods;1735457 said:

I don't see us drafting a CB high with Reeves playing really good and Henry too before he got injured. We are pretty much set there.

However WR is a concern. Glenn's status is still not known and he maybe is facing the end of his career. Owens is not getting any younger and Crayton is not a deep threat we are lacking badly without Glenn. I think if we don't go for WR in FA (which i don't think so) i think we'll go offense in the first round next year.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I would really like to see us do what Philly does with the young players with Barber -- but that isn't going to happen.

Has Jerry EVER signed a guy long term before his RFA year? That is, aside from Romo.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
kØwbØy;1735454 said:

DeAngelo Hall.........overated I know, but he is in trouble in ATL again. He got another big fine.

I think that Jerry is going to go the route of the Patriots, and sign players in areas of need, with the sole purpose of overtaking the Patriots.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;1735506 said:
DeAngelo Hall.........overated I know, but he is in trouble in ATL again. He got another big fine.

I think that Jerry is going to go the route of the Patriots, and sign players in areas of need, with the sole purpose of overtaking the Patriots.

Those two statements cancel each other out. Signing Hall would make us worse.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;1735506 said:
Since Hall is overrated, as you said, and he is a problem child, why in the world do you want him?

Are we so desperate that we are willing to take chances with all the problem childs in the NFL and risk destroying the team chemistry?

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
kØwbØy;1735454 said:

Any good ones available? Doubtful. Any good ones for a reasonable price? Hell no.

Woods;1735457 said:

Best scenario, IMO.

TwentyOne;1735465 said:
I don't see us drafting a CB high with Reeves playing really good and Henry too before he got injured. We are pretty much set there.

However WR is a concern. Glenn's status is still not known and he maybe is facing the end of his career. Owens is not getting any younger and Crayton is not a deep threat we are lacking badly without Glenn. I think if we don't go for WR in FA (which i don't think so) i think we'll go offense in the first round next year.

While I commend they play of our younger CB's, we can most definitely improve at the CB position.

WR is the position we should be looking at via FA. With the bust ratio for WR's being so high, and the number of teams with 3-4 starting quality players, I think we can find a good one relatively cheap. I'm not against drafting one, but I wouldn't expect too much from him if we did. There aren't any Calvin Johnson's out there this year IMO.

I'll take a Fitzgerald via FA and a project in the 3rd or 4th round of the draft...but I want a CB with one of our firsts.

Mr Cowboy;1735506 said:

Gross. I would literally be violently ill if we picked up Hall.

Dcowboy84

Reaction score
in terms of FA corners, the best one out there will be Asante Samuel if NE doesn't pay him, but we can't afford to pay him and extend Newman and still have Henry on the field, thus i believe CB will be a first day pick of ours, maybe not 1st round, but i think on the 1st day.

i am thinking the same as an earlier post regarding a WR in the 1st round now, b/c of this uncertainty with Glenn. b/c of that we have that lack of a speed receiver to stretch the field, and even when Glenn is back i am not certain of his overall health and speed with his knee.

i am shocked that i am writing this, but i am starting to get on the bandwagon of going after Desean Jackson in the draft

sago1

Reaction score
Can't understand why everyone doesn't see the need to draft a CB in the first round. We've got Newman and Reeves and looking forward to Henry returning which is just fine. So if either Newman and/or Henry get hurt again, what do we do then? Newman will be 30 next year & Henry 33 & both this year have had injury problems. Getting a young CB who can step in immediately & perform at a high level is a priority.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
sign Bernard Berrian, he should be our #1 target in FA, I agree that we should sign Free Agents in areas where we need the immediate help, such as signing Berrian to fill the role of deep threat at WR, he should come relatively cap-friendly

I would like to see us in the future sign quality players, but not core/franchise type players to fill holes, example, no more Leonard Davis-type contracts unless we really need that player, although right now I don't see that type of hole on our roster, and continue to use the draft to develop eventual starters, and use most of the cap money to re-signing our own key Free Agents

we should wait on re-signing Marion, get a 3rd down type back in the draft, a Jonathan Stewart/Cory Boyd type, move Marion to starter, and see how he does in that role for a year before he's a UFA, so that we're not giving out a big contract to a player who is better suited as a closer before we need to, we'll see how the cap is, because we might have the money to give Barber a market-level contract anyways, even if he isn't the answer as the starting RB

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
sago1;1735559 said:
Can't understand why everyone doesn't see the need to draft a CB in the first round. We've got Newman and Reeves and looking forward to Henry returning which is just fine. So if either Newman and/or Henry get hurt again, what do we do then? Newman will be 30 next year & Henry 33 & both this year have had injury problems. Getting a young CB who can step in immediately & perform at a high level is a priority.

I think we need to take a CB in the 1st round, at least one on the 1st day, we might as well rule out Henry ever playing 16 games for us, so we're going to need 3 capable corners other than him on the roster, a bigger corner who is capable of playing on STeams would do the trick

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
TwentyOne;1735465 said:

Henry is an injury waiting to happen. The Cowboys need to get someone ready to take his place fast.

Courtney Brown is not going to be ready for a couple of years.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
FLcowboy;1735606 said:
Henry is an injury waiting to happen. The Cowboys need to get someone ready to take his place fast.

Courtney Brown is not going to be ready for a couple of years.
Courtney Brown is being groomed as a FS.

But yeah, I would like to see us select a CB in 1st round.