Next volley in the war on fleas

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
It was about 6 weeks ago, I gave my cat this Frontline medication to kill off fleas. Then I vacuumed and sprayed my place with this Ortho bug spray. Then I bug bombed it with these Hot Shot canisters. Now the stinkin' fleas are back. They've started biting me again, and I found a couple on my cat, even though I've been giving her the Frontline treatments. Turns out those little monsters are really resilient. They can survive bug spray if they're in the cocoon stage. So the you think you got them all, and they come out of the cocoon and start biting again. I've resorted to protecting myself with insect repellent.
One problem I had before was that my vacuum was a piece of junk. It basically would just pick up dirt and drop it elsewhere. And vacuuming is super important because it picks up the eggs and cocoons, and then you should empty it outside into the dumpster. So tomorrow the plan is to get the place super immaculate via vacuuming first, then bug spray it, and then bug bomb it, but this time I'm going to see if I can drop the cat off at the vet to have some kind of professional flea bath. Or I might bath her against fleas myself.
I'll be absent from the apartment for a total of 4 hours while the insecticides to their thing. Then when I return, I'll wash all my bedding in hot water, and take a hot shower myself. But I wonder about one thing:
Should I then spray that Ortho pesticide inside my car? My concern is that if I've tracked any fleas inside the car, they'll just get on me again and have a resurgence. I'm REALLY sick and tired of betting bitten by those monsters. The Ortho is supposed to dissipate within hours and then the area is safe again.
Next week, I intend to do a followup spraying, just with Ortho and no bug bombing. And I'll vacuum as frequently as I can stand to now that I have a real vacuum, a Dyson v15. God, I hate fleas! I miss living in Denver where they can't survive due to the arid climate and the altitude.
If there's anyone here who knows about fleas and about cars, I would appreciate your advice.

Last edited:

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Damn sorry to hear about your problems!!!

Not saying this will help, but maybe consider getting your car detailed on the inside?
Had it detailed recently. I'm only considering a pesticide treatment as a preventative. I don't want there to be any way these awful fleas can make a comeback.

Warick

Reaction score
My sister had this problem a while back when she kept a friend's dog while they went out of town. They didn't tell her it had fleas, and by the time she figured it out, they were in the house. She bought a spray bottle from Home Depot and sprayed the house with full strength vinegar and placed flat, shallow dishes filled with vinegar and water (75/25 mix) in the hot spot areas to kill the adult fleas. I'm not sure how long it took, but it worked.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
My sister had this problem a while back when she kept a friend's dog while they went out of town. They didn't tell her it had fleas, and by the time she figured it out, they were in the house. She bought a spray bottle from Home Depot and sprayed the house with full strength vinegar and placed flat, shallow dishes filled with vinegar and water (75/25 mix) in the hot spot areas to kill the adult fleas. I'm not sure how long it took, but it worked.
I think I've finally eliminated them all, but I'm not taking any chances. I washed all my bedding in hot and vacuumed the whole place, then sprayed with Ortho pesticide again. I also gave my cat an anti-flea foam bath where you rub this anti-flea foam into all her fur without having to immerse her into water (which she would hate). Finally, I spread this diatomaceous earth powder and salt in all the most likely problem carpeted areas (wherever the cat hangs out). The problem with fleas is, the insecticides will kill all the adult ones, but any flea still in its cocoon is protected until it leaves the cocoon. That's the reason for the diatomaceous earth and salt. Both those substances kill fleas, but they're not dangerous to humans or to cats. So if there are any of those little monsters left in the cocoon state, when they exit, they're in for an unwelcome surprise. I haven't been bitten for several days. Gonna keep treating with that diatomaceous earth and salt for a few weeks to prevent their return.