Next Year’s 1st Round Pick

817Gill

Reaction score
For those of y’all upset that the team has no 1st round pick next year to address the quarterback position, please look into next year’s draft and tell me who the team has a realistic chance of getting.

ESPN ranks only Oregon’s Justin Herbert as a first round QB (insider article but you can see the day 2 designation): http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/i...19-nfl-draft-quarterback-class-stacking-picks

CBS only has 2 quarterbacks in the top 35 prospects: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/quarterbacks/

&

Walter Sports only has Herbert as a sure fire 1st rounder with Drew Lock being a 1-2: http://***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1***/draft2019QB.php

My point with all this is, there is only one real slam dunk franchise QB in this draft (he might stay in school) and the Cowboys would never have a high enough pick to get him. Just cause we are frustrated doesn’t mean we should set this franchise back even further by drafting and investing significantly in an average or non-franchise guy.

Because QB wouldn’t be an option even with a 1st, the team would have no doubt drafted a WR. Amari is better and just as old as any guy we would have available at our pick. We basically drafted Amari with our 1st round pick the next draft, that’s not bad at all.

This team has Dak for one more year for super cheap and has only invested a 4th in him. The team has so much talent across the board that the best move forward would be to play Dak one more year with a new coaching staff who can create a game plan from this decade. If he can’t get it done with this team and new coaches, you cut your losses in 2020. Just in time to use your top 10 pick on a much better QB draft class.

So at the end of the day, either Dak works with a real coaching staff and the team gets back in the hunt immediately, or Dak doesn’t work and we draft a QB in 2020 to step onto a squad with a real coach, defense, running game, o-line, and a WR1. Don’t let the Titan game anger you into thinking not having a 1st this year is a big deal, especially for a team who’s biggest problem is coaching, not talent.

817Gill

Reaction score
Also, who’s to say a new coaching staff doesn’t draft a guy in round 2? There will be guys available there that are quality players just not top 25 picks. E.g. Will Grier

slick325

Reaction score
I hope Drew Lock slips to the early 2nd/late 1st
..doubt it. Also doubt the Jones boys would pull the trigger. Never mind.

817Gill

Reaction score
I would not trade a top 10 pick for amari cooper. That is a type of deal only a loaded team would make. I would rather get a top flight defense end or the next franchise left tackle.
A top 10 pick is all relative to what the team needs and will draft. This team has drafted defense the last 3 drafts and has invested multiple top 100 picks in the last few years. This defense is light years ahead of where it was, no way we would use another 1st on defense, that would just be neglecting offense irresponsibly.

And lmaooo they aren’t drafting Tyron’s replacement after one down season in which the o line coach was fired.

4th_and_short

Reaction score
The fact that they’re aren’t any top flight QB prospects this season doesn’t mean the Cowboys didn’t over pay for Cooper. He’s a great addition, no doubt, but the Raiders are laughing all the way to the podium with our 1st come April.

The silver lining, as you pointed out, is 2019 will be Dak’s final year on contract as well as Cooper’s. So revamp the offensive coaching staff, give them a season and if it still doesn’t pan out then the 2020 QB class looks much more promising.

The Natural

Reaction score
You want to draft a guy in the first round who isn’t a franchise QB, but don’t want to use a 1st for a 24y/o pro-bowler at a position of need? Makes sense.
Who says you HAVE to draft a qb there? You just said a new staff might find somebody in round 2. Ok, we still lost the opportunity to address a different position of need with a top 10 pick in the first round.

fishspill

Reaction score
For those of y’all upset that the team has no 1st round pick next year to address the quarterback position, please look into next year’s draft and tell me who the team has a realistic chance of getting.

ESPN ranks only Oregon’s Justin Herbert as a first round QB (insider article but you can see the day 2 designation): http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/i...19-nfl-draft-quarterback-class-stacking-picks

CBS only has 2 quarterbacks in the top 35 prospects: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/quarterbacks/

&

Walter Sports only has Herbert as a sure fire 1st rounder with Drew Lock being a 1-2: http://***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1***/draft2019QB.php

My point with all this is, there is only one real slam dunk franchise QB in this draft (he might stay in school) and the Cowboys would never have a high enough pick to get him. Just cause we are frustrated doesn’t mean we should set this franchise back even further by drafting and investing significantly in an average or non-franchise guy.

Because QB wouldn’t be an option even with a 1st, the team would have no doubt drafted a WR. Amari is better and just as old as any guy we would have available at our pick. We basically drafted Amari with our 1st round pick the next draft, that’s not bad at all.

This team has Dak for one more year for super cheap and has only invested a 4th in him. The team has so much talent across the board that the best move forward would be to play Dak one more year with a new coaching staff who can create a game plan from this decade. If he can’t get it done with this team and new coaches, you cut your losses in 2020. Just in time to use your top 10 pick on a much better QB draft class.

So at the end of the day, either Dak works with a real coaching staff and the team gets back in the hunt immediately, or Dak doesn’t work and we draft a QB in 2020 to step onto a squad with a real coach, defense, running game, o-line, and a WR1. Don’t let the Titan game anger you into thinking not having a 1st this year is a big deal, especially for a team who’s biggest problem is coaching, not talent.
By not having your 2019 1st you also lose the opportunity to trade it for a 2020 1st should you find someone who wants to move up for a high-end player, which if you’re picking in the top-10 is quite possible. Then you have ammo for 2020 QB class.

RaqiderRage1

Reaction score
Who says you HAVE to draft a qb there? You just said a new staff might find somebody in round 2. Ok, we still lost the opportunity to address a different position of need with a top 10 pick in the first round.
pro bo
You want to draft a guy in the first round who isn’t a franchise QB, but don’t want to use a 1st for a 24y/o pro-bowler at a position of need? Makes sense.
Pro bowler...that was 2 yrs ago what has he done the last 2yrs....go ahead ill wait

817Gill

Reaction score
The only other 1st round position of need is WR. We aren't drafting an OL, DT, FS, or TE in the top 10. Especially since all these positions are deep in this year's draft. This team has proven they can draft well into the later rounds and should have no problem getting a FS or TE in the top 50, as well as a DT later on as the defensive line class extends well into round 4.

As for QB, that's only going to happen if a new coaching staff is brought in and feels as though there's nothing they can do with Dak. That's the only way we are going to see the team draft a QB in the top 4 rounds. And even if he is drafted, this team is loaded with talent. Missing out on a DT, FS, or TE in round 2 is more than worth it if the right QB is chosen. Again quality DT's will be available in rounds 3 & 4.

817Gill

Reaction score
By not having your 2019 1st you also lose the opportunity to trade it for a 2020 1st should you find someone who wants to move up for a high-end player, which if you’re picking in the top-10 is quite possible. Then you have ammo for 2020 QB class.
It's not smart to make decisions based on what others MIGHT do. But I see where you're going with that.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
Hopefully they look at a safety either in FA or the draft.

817Gill

Reaction score
pro bo

Pro bowler...that was 2 yrs ago what has he done the last 2yrs....go ahead ill wait
Well if you're one of those people who think Amari isn't a pro bowl caliber receiver then I don't know what to tell you. There is overwhelmingly more evidence to support that case than against. Just use google, I'm not here to write you a scouting report.

Hardline

Reaction score
Will Grier, QB, West Virginia

If he is setting there at our pick in the 2nd round I'm taking him.
He shredded my Longhorns secondary all game long.
I know you can't go by one game but maybe those of you more familair with the player can chime in on my choice.I would welcome your input.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
We made our 2019 1st Round Pick 6 months early and the whiners gotta whine

ACooper is better than any WR coming out and we got him when we needed him most

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Will Grier, QB, West Virginia

If he is setting there at our pick in the 2nd round I'm taking him.
He shredded my Longhorns secondary all game long.
I know you can't go by one game but maybe those of you more familair with the player can chime in on my choice.I would welcome your input.

"Will Grier" just sounds like a Cowboys QB to me.

kskboys

Reaction score

&

A stud DT would help this team a ton more than a WR.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I don’t know where to start?

QB
DT
S
CB
OT
TE

Even a RB with some juice as a receiver.