Next years Safeties?

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
With the addition of Cooper, it is clear that Safety is our #1 need.

How is the class shaping up? Who may we be able to grab in 2nd?

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score

http://***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1***/draft2019S.php

Sounds like the top guys in our range are -
  1. Johnathan Abram, S, Mississippi State
    Height: 5-11. Weight: 207.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.45.
    Projected Round (2019): 2-3.
    10/13/18: Abram has 43 tackles with two passes broken up and one interception. Sources have been impressed with Abram this season and say he plays the game the right way. He is a physical enforcer in the middle of the field who is a good run defender and functional in pass coverage. One source said that Abram reminds him of former Texas A&M safety Justin Evans, a second-round pick of Tampa Bay in the 2017 NFL Draft.

8/29/18: According to NFL team's preseason data, Abram checks in at 5-foot-11, 207-pounds and runs the 40-yard dash in 4.45 seconds. He has 31-inch arms, 9.5-inch hands, and a wingspan of 74.5 inches.

In speaking with multiple area scouts who cover the Southeast, Abram received some praise for helping himself in 2017. He was a physical defender and around the ball consistently for the Bulldogs. Abram totaled 71 tackles with five passes broken up and two forced fumbles on the season. Team evaluators feel that Abram is a solid player with starting potential.
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson*, S, Florida
Height: 6-0. Weight: 207.
Projected 40 Time: 4.53.
Projected Round (2019): 2-3.
10/13/18: Gardner-Johnson has 41 tackles, six for a loss and two sacks in 2018. He's played well for the Gators and has been a productive presence in the middle of the field.

8/29/18: Gardner-Johnson was a solid safety in 2017, helping in the run game and in pass defense. He had 58 tackles with seven passes broken up and two interceptions on the year. Gardner-Johnson flashed as a freshman in 2016 as a backup behind a secondary filled with NFL talent. Gardner-Johnson showed potential to also contribute in man coverage as he had with three interceptions over the final three games of 2016.

Marvell Tell III, S, USC
Height: 6-3. Weight: 190.
Projected 40 Time: 4.55.
Projected Round (2019): 2-4.
10/13/18: Tell had a slow start to the season, including havig problems with missed tackles and not making plays in pass coverage. In recent weeks, Tell has started to play better. He has 21 tackles with two passes broken up and an interception on the year.

8/29/18: In 2017, Tell was a solid defender for the Trojans, totaling 85 tackles with two passes broken up and three interceptions. He contributed 43 tackles as a sophomore and 36 as a freshman. Over those two years, he had six breakups and an interception. Tell has a tall and long frame that helps him to match up against bigger receivers and tight ends.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

In guessing we bring in Thomas. I think that has been the plan for a long time. I dont think next years safety class is the year to add talent through the draft.

I think Thomas can make our other Safeties better

cowboyec

Reaction score
if he comes out...Jordan Fuller,Ohio St.

Juan Thornhill,Virginia is another guy I like.

exciter

Reaction score
In guessing we bring in Thomas. I think that has been the plan for a long time. I dont think next years safety class is the year to add talent through the draft.

I think Thomas can make our other Safeties better
Hmmm... part of the dust up and why Seattle wouldn't renegotiate his contract was that he wants to be the leagues highest paid safety which is currently 78m over 6 years. Even if he lowers those demands hes going to want a contract that is rediculous, especially for a player who has been injured for 3 consecutive years including seanson ending leg fractures in 2 of them. That combined with management's steadfast approach to not signing 30+ year old players, I'd be surprised if they even sniff at ET much less make a serious attempt at signing him to what he wants!

jay94

Reaction score
Hmmm... part of the dust up and why Seattle wouldn't renegotiate his contract was that he wants to be the leagues highest paid safety which is currently 78m over 6 years. Even if he lowers those demands hes going to want a contract that is rediculous, especially for a player who has been injured for 3 consecutive years including seanson ending leg fractures in 2 of them. That combined with management's steadfast approach to not signing 30+ year old players, I'd be surprised if they even sniff at ET much less make a serious attempt at signing him to what he wants!

Safety is one of the least positions where age dictates, he was playing as one of the best safeties if not the best safety in the NFL. This would be a tragedy to let a player of his talent to slip buy especially because one we could likely get him for a discount and two I am sure we can have injury clauses because of his past to protect us. Safety is definitely one of our weakest spots on the team at the moment.

exciter

Reaction score
Safety is one of the least positions where age dictates, he was playing as one of the best safeties if not the best safety in the NFL. This would be a tragedy to let a player of his talent to slip buy especially because one we could likely get him for a discount and two I am sure we can have injury clauses because of his past to protect us. Safety is definitely one of our weakest spots on the team at the moment.
Hes not looking to take a discount or sign something with injury clauses. Hes looking for something in the range of what Berry signed for in KC, 78m for 6 years and 56m guaranteed. Hes made this fairly clear by what he's said and by his actions. He thought he was underpaid at the 8.5 m that Seattle was paying him that is comparable to the average money paid to Jenkins 45m contract. It doesn't matter how well he plays on the field, if he can't stay on it. With his age an being undersized he can't stay on the field anymore as evidenced by season ending injurys in 2 of the last 3 seasons!

Paintrain4978

Reaction score
I really like Lukas Denis our of Boston College. He’s a true FS with good ball skills. May still be there in the 2nd but might not be when all is said and done.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Scouting reports courtesy of thedraftnetwork.com

click link for full write-up's
https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/06/28/2019-nfl-draft-prospect-database/12/

NAME: Taylor Rapp SCHOOL: Washington HT: 6’0 WT: 212 lbs
PROS: Smart, aggressive player who fills multiple roles within the back seven. Recognizes running game flow and misdirection very quickly and regularly takes the correct angles to attack offensive concepts;...Is a sure space tackler and devastating close-quarters hitter alike.
CONS: Not overly rangy. Despite strong linear burst, top speed does not impress. Some tightness in the hips limits ability to turn corners with explosion,..... Does not have playmaking instinct;
rappt111216usc1.jpg

NAME: Juan Thornhill SCHOOL: Virginia HT: 6’1 WT: 195 lbs
PROS:Thornhill excels in coverage from a variety of techniques. He has a natural feel in zone for coverage spacing and working into throwing windows while also effective in man coverage where his length and physicality will serve him well working against tight ends and bigger slots.
...Thornhill is a strong tackler and plays the game with a physical demeanor as he works through contact. He has the contact power expected for his size. He can win near the line of scrimmage and offers the traits needed to function as a box safety.

CONS: There are some matchups in the slot, mainly against quicker receivers, that could be problematic for Thornhill in man coverage
6_4834122.jpg