Twitter: NextGen Stats - Tony Pollards 58 yard touchdown run

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I still have trouble understanding why we were so insistent about running between the tackles in this game up until this play. New Orleans was stacking the middle, so the outside needed to be tested.
I think because this offensive line use to dominate in between the tackles regardless of the type of fronts they saw. Them days seem to be over though. They aren't winning those battles at all.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't for the life of me figure out why zeke even played alone running both him and zeke up the gut so much.

The only thing that makes sense is kellen wants the run game to look bad.

Mr_437

Reaction score
More sweeps and misdirection plays with Pollard specifically.

pancakeman

Reaction score
I still have trouble understanding why we were so insistent about running between the tackles in this game up until this play. New Orleans was stacking the middle, so the outside needed to be tested.

Agreed. Giving up on the run because inside runs aren't working is an overreaction.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think because this offensive line use to dominate in between the tackles regardless of the type of fronts they saw. Them days seem to be over though. They aren't winning those battles at all.

Defenses aren't stupid, though. If 90 percent of your runs are between the tackles, then defenses are going to pinch the middle. No matter how good your offensive line is, it's difficult to run when you have all that congestion on the inside. Attacking the edges forces the defense to stretch out, making the middle vulnerable.

Reactions: BAT

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
On another note
Defenses aren't stupid, though. If 90 percent of your runs are between the tackles, then defenses are going to pinch the middle. No matter how good your offensive line is, it's difficult to run when you have all that congestion on the inside. Attacking the edges forces the defense to stretch out, making the middle vulnerable.
i disagree. There’s nothing you can do about a dominant interior….not saying they would go off for 30 yards a pop but teams knew where we were running in the past. It just didn’t matter.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
When we play defenses that have solid lines and really good Mike LBs, we suck running in the middle. Moore could have ran a few more outside.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Damn what a reach block by 63 and 77. Pollard turned on the jets as well

Reactions: BAT

RaZon

Reaction score
Tyreek Hill all 185 pounds of him was a HS/NCAA running back, he wasn't expected to bang the line, who does that at 185 pounds? Hill took pitch outs, off tackle, sweeps, flare passes. plays to get his speed out in space, what good does a 4.2 40 do ya banging a line?

Zeke can bang he is 225 pounds of solid, Pollard is a home run hitter so use him as one.

As far as the speed of Pollard, would ya believe Zeke had a faster 40 coming out of OSU, Zeke 4.4, Pollard 4.5.

Pollard has good speed but not fast vs the fast RB's.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
On another note

i disagree. There’s nothing you can do about a dominant interior….not saying they would go off for 30 yards a pop but teams knew where we were running in the past. It just didn’t matter.

What past? For a few games this season? It takes defenses a few games to get adjusted to an offense's tendencies. We've shown the tendency to run up the middle. So Denver crowded out the middle and other teams have followed suit. It's hard for even a dominant interiors to win against 7 to 8 guys crowded between the tackle. You have to have dominant blocking from the tight ends, receivers, etc., too ... and the defense has the advantage because those players are coming from outside the tackles and trying to uproot defenders already between the tackles. Best way to beat that is misdirection, sweeps, etc. We did it once with a lateral to Lamb that he almost housed. We did it again with a pitch the Pollard that he did house. We need more of those plays until that middle loosens up.

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
#43 Williams of NO clearly underestimated Pollard's speed. Must have thought he was going to brake and cut back inside.

BTW -- was that a block in the back from #17 WR Malik Turner? I've re-watched it several times and thought 'no', though it was close. Close enough where I wouldn't have been surprised had the officials flagged it.

CdLuTcG