Twitter: NextGen Stats - Tony Pollards 58 yard touchdown run

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
Tyreek Hill all 185 pounds of him was a HS/NCAA running back, he wasn't expected to bang the line, who does that at 185 pounds? Hill took pitch outs, off tackle, sweeps, flare passes. plays to get his speed out in space, what good does a 4.2 40 do ya banging a line?

Zeke can bang he is 225 pounds of solid, Pollard is a home run hitter so use him as one.

As far as the speed of Pollard, would ya believe Zeke had a faster 40 coming out of OSU, Zeke 4.4, Pollard 4.5.

Pollard has good speed but not fast vs the fast RB's.

Reminds me of Felix Jones and MBIII situation. Felix was great as a part time back - but I'm not so sure I'd give him that many more touches than he's getting now.

RaZon

Reaction score
Reminds me of Felix Jones and MBIII situation. Felix was great as a part time back - but I'm not so sure I'd give him that many more touches than he's getting now.

Good one, yep, something like that. It should never be.....ah hell start Pollard he can handle it....then treat him like Zeke.

Look at Zeke, look at Tony, big difference.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What past? For a few games this season? It takes defenses a few games to get adjusted to an offense's tendencies. We've shown the tendency to run up the middle. So Denver crowded out the middle and other teams have followed suit. It's hard for even a dominant interiors to win against 7 to 8 guys crowded between the tackle. You have to have dominant blocking from the tight ends, receivers, etc., too ... and the defense has the advantage because those players are coming from outside the tackles and trying to uproot defenders already between the tackles. Best way to beat that is misdirection, sweeps, etc. We did it once with a lateral to Lamb that he almost housed. We did it again with a pitch the Pollard that he did house. We need more of those plays until that middle loosens up.
I'm talking about the 2014-2016 era.

rambo2

Reaction score
They will run the ball better when they get their offensive line coaches back.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
#43 Williams of NO clearly underestimated Pollard's speed. Must have thought he was going to brake and cut back inside.

BTW -- was that a block in the back from #17 WR Malik Turner? I've re-watched it several times and thought 'no', though it was close. Close enough where I wouldn't have been surprised had the officials flagged it.

CdLuTcG

I believe he had one hand on the defender's shoulder pad.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I'm talking about the 2014-2016 era.

There were some runs those lines were particularly good at executing, and the starting backs in 2014 and 2016 were at the peak of their game. Our lines also were probably at the peak of their run-blocking those years with Smith healthy, Martin healthier and Free being quite good as a run blocker. Leary in 2014 and 2016 was better than anyone we've run out at left guard this year as a run blocker

ryanbabs

Reaction score
I still have trouble understanding why we were so insistent about running between the tackles in this game up until this play. New Orleans was stacking the middle, so the outside needed to be tested.
That and I don’t recall one screen play called. Just stupid.

gimmesix

Reaction score
That and I don’t recall one screen play called. Just stupid.

Well, the play Lamb scored on was a WR screen, but yeah, none to the backs. I do believe I remember at least one being called where Dak had to throw the ball away. Almost got an intentional grounding call, but Pollard was in the area and was the intended receiver.