NFC East Draft Grades From Various Sites.

Reaction score
NBCSports. com

http://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/1428407/detail.html

NFC East TeamGradeRemarks

13628_60X45.jpg

DallasB+Picking up the Browns' first-rounder next year was a steal. Anthony Spencer is a perfect fit for a 3-4 defense. After that, where's the secondary help?

13676_60X45.jpg

N.Y. GiantsB+They tried to trade up for one of the top two cornerbacks, but ended up with Aaron Ross. He'll do fine. We love Steve Smith as a long-term starting receiver. Zac DeOssie was a good value in the fourth round.
13688_60X45.jpg

PhiladelphiaA-
I love trading out in the first round, where the value wasn't there. Kevin Kolb was a bold pick, but Andy Reid deserves the benefit of the doubt when it comes to quarterbacks. They have the roster that can handle such a pick. I loved their round three picks: Stewart Bradley and Tony Hunt were steals. Hunt is a guy to watch when Brian Westbrook gets hurt.

13720_60X45.jpg

WashingtonDLaron Landry was our favorite defensive player in the draft, but he could be an awkward fit next to Sean Taylor Washington gets this grade, however, because it dealt away middle-round picks last year for T.J. Duckett ... who's now in Detroit.

adamknite

Reaction score
WHAT!? The Eagles get an A- after taking Kolb with thier first pick!? Geez.... who wrote that Andy
Reid?

The Eagles could take a dump on a piece of paper and it would get an B+ to some people.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Id say that all the East teams should be at B+. How you gonna give Philly an A- when they didn't really address WR. I guess the QB was bold, but unless they have no more faith in McNabb, it shouldn't matter what Reid's pedigree is with QB's.

Washington, well I can't disagree. You can't fault them for taking Landry, they def took BPA. How he will coexist with Taylor will be interesting. A trade down would have benefited them. They needed a pass rusher more than anything else.

Gotta agree with our analysis. Would have liked to see some help in the secondary before round 7. The Browns deal was great. Our gread could be bumped to an A depending on what happens in 2008.

LowTech

the most important member
Reaction score
McFlab wrote it, he knows he sux....................love the sig

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
I love the quote about Landry being an awkward fit with Sean Taylor.

I said the same exact thing today about that... no matter how good people think Landry is.

He is an in-th-box type of guy and that team needs a coverage FS like Nelson or Merri... plus a pass rush :)

The Eagles get an A after taking Kolb... not sure I get that.

Reaction score
FoxSports.com

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6752446

NFC EAST

DALLAS COWBOYS

Czar's breakdown: This draft was basically about grabbing Purdue pass rusher Anthony Spencer in the first round and acquiring Cleveland's first-round pick next year while helping them land quarterback Brady Quinn. New head coach Wade Phillips compares Spencer favorably to San Diego's Shaun Phillips. Spencer did give Wisconsin's Joe Thomas trouble. Boston College's James Marten has a chance to make the team as an offensive tackle as does fourth-round pick Isaiah Stanback, who figures to be a receiver in the NFL. Stanback played quarterback at the U. of Washington. The rest of the draft appeared pretty shaky.

Grade: C

NEW YORK GIANTS

Czar's breakdown: Considering their position in the draft, GM Jerry Reese had a very solid draft in his first at bat. I love Brown linebacker Zak DeOssie in the fourth round. DeOssie should be a great special teams player and he can also long snap, a very underrated talent. Texas cornerback Aaron Ross was the third-rated cornerback in this draft and he was the third corner taken. Ross, who just became a starter in his senior year, can also return punts. USC receiver Steve Smith was a quality pick in the middle of the second round and could end up starting some day. Some teams preferred Smith to Dwayne Jarrett. Penn State DT Jay Alford was a bit of reach in the third round. Arizona safety Michael Johnson was a bargain in the seventh round. Western Oregon TE Kevin Boss has a chance to make the roster with the loss of Visanthe Shiancoe.

Grade: B+

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

Czar's breakdown: I heard Eagles coach Andy Reid say all the right things on both television cable networks, but it made no sense to take Houston quarterback Kevin Kolb with their first pick (36th in the second round) unless there are real concerns about Donovan McNabb. Kolb is a fine player and was rated somewhere between the fourth and sixth best quarterback in this draft, but the best he will be this season is a third stringer. The Eagles have more needs than a quarterback that will hold a clipboard all year long. Teams also criticized their next picks, Notre Dame DE Victor Abiamiri and Nebraska outside linebacker Stewart Bradley. Both kids might be productive players, but neither figures to press the starting lineup this season. Two picks that rate some positive consideration were Penn State running back Tony Hunt, a tough inside runner, and Clemson safety C.J. Gaddis. Both of them were highly productive college players and they should be quality reserves.

WASHINGTON Commanders

Czar's breakdown: The Commanders never materialized on the trading stage like everyone thought they might. They didn't make a deal to get Chicago LB Lance Briggs or to trade up in the draft for Tech receiver Calvin Johnson. Stuck with the sixth overall pick, LSU safety LaRon Landry was a rock solid pick, although some questioned his intelligence and whether or not he can make the defensive signal calls. He can tackle and make plays and has tremendous football instincts. Washington only had five picks. USC linebacker Dallas Sartz was taken in the fifth round and he will be a special teams' player this season. Pitt LB H.B. Blades has great bloodlines, the son of former Lions safety Bennie Blades. The Commanders closed their draft by selecting Carson Palmer's brother, Jordan Palmer, with their last pick. Palmer broke most of the passing records at UTEP, performing well in coach Mike Price's complicated system.

adamknite

Reaction score
smarta5150;1480496 said:
I love the quote about Landry being an awkward fit with Sean Taylor.

I said the same exact thing today about that... no matter how good people think Landry is.

He is an in-th-box type of guy and that team needs a coverage FS like Nelson or Merri... plus a pass rush :)

The Eagles get an A after taking Kolb... not sure I get that.

If the Eagles get an A- after taking Kolb, the Browns must have gotten some kinda unmeasurably high grade that would surely destroy the universe if it's name was spoken.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
adamknite;1480503 said:
If the Eagles get an A- after taking Kolb, the Browns must have gotten some kinda unmeasurably high grade that would surely destroy the universe if it's name was spoken.

Quinn @ 22 when he was projected top 3, maybe 5... at the worst 10.

Yes the universe should collapse when compared to the Eagles' A-

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
depends when do we get credit for gaining a free 1400 draft chart points?

if we get the credit this year A+ (ps we gained the value of 16th overall and a 6th rounder)

If we get credit next year then this year was B but next year is auto A

ps we gained the value of 16th overall FOR FREE

if thats not the best draft anyone had i dunno what is

jbsg02

Reaction score
Washington got one of what I would say was a top 2 defensive player in the whole draft, maybe even the top defensive player until I see if Gaines Adams can hold up against the run at a pro level.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
how can the raiders get a C for taking a franchise QB, A nice TE, and a DE in the 3rd with good value......CBS reporter is a joke, Phily gets a A for drafting a back-up QB........

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sportsline Prisco Grades

Dallas Cowboys

Best pick: I love Anthony Spencer. Wade Phillips will turn him into another Shawne Merriman, especially teaming with DeMarcus Ware.

Questionable move: Using a third-round pick on converted quarterback Isaiah Stanback is something that will be watched closely. Is he another Antwaan Randle El?

Second-day gem: Fourth-round pick Doug Free is a quality tackle who will push Flozell Adams to play better.

Overall grade: B. I like Spencer and Free, but third-round pick James Marten probably went a round too high.

New York Giants

Best pick: Taking Steve Smith in the second round was a great move. Smith is an underrated receiver who will eventually be a 60-catch player.

Questionable move: Third-round pick Jay Alford was a bit of a reach. He's never been a dominant player.

Second-day gem: Tight end Kevin Boss, a fifth-round pick, has some nice size and speed. He doesn't need to be a starter, but as a backup he could help.

Overall grade: B-. I like the first two picks in Aaron Ross and Smith. The rest wasn't real exciting.

Philadelphia Eagles

Best pick: I love the pick of running back Tony Hunt in the third round. He is a pound-it runner who will help spell Brian Westbrook.

Questionable move: Taking Kevin Kolb in the second round. They have a slew of backups behind Donovan McNabb, and this was a bit early.

Second-day gem: Tight end Brent Celek, the fifth-round pick, has some skills. Just take a peek at his 83-yard catch for a score against Rutgers last year.

Overall grade: C. They traded out of the first round, so their first pick was a quarterback who will be fourth on the depth chart when camp opens. I did like Victor Abiamiri later in the second round.

Washington Commanders

Best pick: Sixth-round pick H.B. Blades may be short, but he knows how to get to the football.

Questionable move: I think they over-drafted LaRon Landry. They needed defensive line help and would have been better off with Jamaal Anderson.

Second-day gem: Fifth-round pick Dallas Sartz will be a good special-teams player and could eventually develop into a starting linebacker. I like the way he plays.

Overall grade: D. Landry will start, but that's about all they'll get in 2007 from this draft. They didn't have enough picks.

link

adamknite

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1480861 said:
Questionable move: Using a third-round pick on converted quarterback Isaiah Stanback is something that will be watched closely. Is he another Antwaan Randle El?

Don't you just love it when guys do their research before spewing random words from their mouth?

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
adamknite;1480864 said:
Don't you just love it when guys do their research before spewing random words from their mouth?

OWNED. Great Catch. Apparently it wont be watched close enough. I'm loving the randle el comparisons, I liked him when he played for the steelers. It gives us the chance for less risky trickeration.

dalboy

one man wolf pack
Reaction score
adamknite;1480487 said:
WHAT!? The Eagles get an A- after taking Kolb with thier first pick!? Geez.... who wrote that Andy
Reid?

The Eagles could take a dump on a piece of paper and it would get an B+ to some people.

that is how much the eagles are loved I sware. well I kinda feel sorry for them to with there triophy case:trophy:

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
smarta5150;1480496 said:
He is an in-th-box type of guy and that team needs a coverage FS

Landry did not allow a single touchdown reception during his career while producing 15 turnovers.

he was the fastest safety on the board, too. ;)

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1480500 said:
FoxSports.com

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6752446

Stuck with the sixth overall pick, LSU safety LaRon Landry was a rock solid pick, although some questioned his intelligence and whether or not he can make the defensive signal calls.

thats odd. his write up says the opposite "Calls the defensive signals and excels at getting his teammates set up and in position to make the play. "

i like that. "stuck" with the sixth overall pick. :)