News: NFC East Q&A: Bradford, Wentz and Daniel signings don't scare anyone in division

CCBoy

Reaction score
NFC East Q&A: Bradford, Wentz and Daniel signings don't scare anyone in division
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4751890/in-burlington-tony-romo-is-at-home

...John Keim, Washington Commanders: In better hands, for now and the future. But I’m not sure that changes their immediate standing. The Commanders respected Bradford last year, but there are always questions about him because of his durability and now he’s in another new offense. Also, it’s not as if he ever has been a top QB or even close to one. However, he’s still only 28 years old. But with Daniel they have someone who knows the system; if nothing else, it’ll help the other two learn Doug Pederson’s offense. With Wentz, they have their future. Last year, they might have had Bradford but nobody really knew if he or anyone else was their long-term guy. If you look at the NFC East, Eli Manning and Tony Romo remain the two most dangerous and most accomplished quarterbacks, assuming the latter is healthy. Kirk Cousins had a better year than Bradford ever has and has better talent around him, and the Commanders have a more experienced backup in Colt McCoy. I wouldn’t rank Bradford ahead of the other starting quarterbacks in the NFC East, but if the Eagles are right about Wentz, they’re in the best spot of any NFC East team when looking at the next 10 years. Of course, if they’re not …

Dan Graziano, New York Giants: Honestly, it may not be fair, but I don’t get the sense that Bradford really scares anyone. The popular opinion of him seems to be that of a guy who hasn’t lived up to his potential, who’s hurt all the time, and who’s made a bunch of money for not actually accomplishing very much. But the one guy in the Giants’ building who loves Bradford is defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, who was his head coach in St. Louis at the start of his career. Spagnuolo says he still believes Bradford can be a top guy if given the chance and some continuity. Unfortunately, with the Eagles changing offenses again this year and having drafted Bradford’s eventual replacement No. 2 overall, it doesn’t look as if his chance for sustained greatness is going to come in Philly.

Todd Archer, Dallas Cowboys: I think I can state the Cowboys’ opinion of the Eagles’ quarterback situation like this: confusing. It’s not that they believe Sam Bradford is the greatest quarterback or that Carson Wentz will be a future star or that Chase Daniel wouldn’t be a solid starter. They just don’t understand why Philadelphia signed all three of them. It just doesn’t seem like the wisest salary-cap investment, but who are the Cowboys to talk about wise investments. The Cowboys got to know Wentz fairly well in the draft process having coached him at the Senior Bowl, and they would probably like to see him play since rookies generally don’t set the world on fire. Bradford looked confused at times when he played the Cowboys last year and great at times. That’s kind of his deal, right? Daniel, who grew up in Southlake, Texas, is the wild card, and I wonder if he would be the last guy they would want to see because they haven’t seen him play much and he would be most familiar with Doug Pederson’s offense.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
I'm thinking Bradford goes in a trade during the season before the deadline.
To get back some picks.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Bradford had his best year under pat shurmur in st.louis but he couldn't help him with kelly around last year. I am surprised Shurmur wasn't retained.

When you look at the eagles coaching staff on the offensive side its all former players and none have any experience as winners essentially. People like to go after garrett and the staff here but if the eagles offensive staff was in Dallas people would be losing their minds.

The offense this season should be the same one Bradford played well in under shurmur with the rams but that staff with constant qb questions from the media....Man it could get ugly up there if they stumble early.

Pat Shurmur moved on to become the vikings tight ends coach. That vikings staff has some great experience on the offensive side, Norv Turner, Pat Shurmur, Tony Sporano, George Stewart. That should be an excellent team in minnesota.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really don't know what to think of them as a team, but it's more they will be worse than better.
QB situation will need to play itself out, and that is why they may be in flux for a few years.

Will wait and see how their TC goes to get a direction.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't know how good anybody is going to be this season. I hope we are good but I don't know that we will be.

But I do know this, a wise man once told me, "You don't have to be scared to get your *** kicked."

You know what, he was right.

Verdict

Reaction score
Quite honestly, I really would love to see Philly outright cut Bradford and his massive contract and for Dallas to sign Bradford as the backup to Romo. I know I am in the minority, but I think two years of sitting behind Romo, and having this line in front of him that he would turn out to be a very good franchise QB. Bradford has made plenty of money, he could resurrect his career here, and not cost us a draft pick to get Romo's replacement.

I think if we approached him and said we will sign you as a backup, with escalators if you end up starting, and tell him we will give him a legitimate shot to become the face of the franchise he would be all over it at this point in his career. He is an Oklahoma boy, so you would think that he was probably a bit of a Cowboys fan growing up.

marchetta

Reaction score
Phily coaches/fans are freaking out right now because Wentz can't throw a spiral. All his passes so far in camp have been ducks. Wentz says it's a mechanical issue that he's trying to work out.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
the eagle qb situation is like our rb situation ??
both have seemingly too many and they are all fairly good to real good.
We are going to start our rookie though, and they evidently plan to hold wentz for next year.

They may start chase if he knows the system best, and might as well see what he can do.
If they want to trade bradford, better to not play him.
If he flops in that system, it lowers his value.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Phily coaches/fans are freaking out right now because Wentz can't throw a spiral. All his passes so far in camp have been ducks. Wentz says it's a mechanical issue that he's trying to work out.

That doesnt make sense, I can throw a spiral ! lol
guess he wont play this year.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
I don't think any team will take on his contract.

He's barely average and he got paid.

When a good team sees their season sinking and a player is there - you never know.
Teams make crazy trades.

Hershal Walker
Roy Williams
Joey Galloway.

CowboyGil

Reaction score
Hm. Seems to me the Giants may have the best, most stable team in the division. With Dallas second.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Hm. Seems to me the Giants may have the best, most stable team in the division. With Dallas second.

They just fired their Hall of Fame level coach and the GM is going to get fired this upcoming offseason. They overpaid for everything they bought in free agency.

How in the world are they stable? I think their offense is going to be pretty great but as an organization they are not stable at all.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
In a perfect world for them I can imagine Bradford would start this year, Chase Daniel would be his backup, and Wentz would sit on the bench. Next year depending on if Bradford plays well or not he would be gone, if he's gone Daniel would start unless Wentz is ready. However, I don't think there's any such thing as a perfect world in Philly land. I don't see Bradford having a good year, or even making it through a full season, if he even starts in the first place...

RS12

Reaction score
I know Egirls O Line doesnt scare anybody.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
In my opinion (which is very seldom correct), the current Eagles offense looks like it did during the late 90s when Duce Staley was their best offensive player and they were trying to sell people on Bobby Hoying. It was an absolute disaster.

CowboyGil

Reaction score
They just fired their Hall of Fame level coach and the GM is going to get fired this upcoming offseason. They overpaid for everything they bought in free agency.

How in the world are they stable? I think their offense is going to be pretty great but as an organization they are not stable at all.

On paper they seem to be. Their new HC was the OC so they know the offense already, and they addressed defensive needs through the draft and FA. Coughlin probably wishes they would've overpaid some FAs last offseason. Until Romo takes that first big hit and gets back up, JJ and co. will be holding their collective breaths whereas Eli has always been pretty durable. The Cowboys' already anemic pass rush will probably be on life support for the first four games without Gregory and Tank and Kraken gone unless some of the young guys step it up. All teams have ?s, it just seems ours are bigger than the Giants at this point. Zeke could prove to be the tipping point in the division IMO.