NFC vs. AFC (Gap Closed)

Champsheart

Reaction score
For the last couple of years, and this year as well everyone talks about how much more dominant the AFC is over the NFC. The AFC is where all the power teams are.

Well, I do not think that is fare to say anymore.

Right now the NFC is 16-14 against the AFC straight up.
After tonight that looks like it will be 17-14.

The AFC currently has 6 teams with Winning Records.
The NFC currently has 8 teams with Winning Records.

As of right now it looks as if the gap has closed.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd say it's closed that some of the elite AFC teams have come back to the middle of the pack. But when you're talking elite status. How many AFC teams do you consider elite and how many NFC teams would you consider elite? That's where the gap remains. AFC would still hold the edge in that regards, IMO You got the truly elite and then you got the maybes.

And there's alot more maybes and never gonna happens in the NFC than there are in the AFC.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
I'd say it's closed that some of the elite AFC teams have come back to the middle of the pack. But when you're talking elite status. How many AFC teams do you consider elite and how many NFC teams would you consider elite? That's where the gap remains. AFC would still hold the edge in that regards, IMO You got the truly elite and then you got the maybes.

And there's alot more maybes and never gonna happens in the NFC than there are in the AFC.

IMO there are 1 elite team in each conference.
In the AFC there is the Colts and the Falcons in the NFC.
The AFC has 3 very good teams Pitt, Cinn and Denver.
The NFC has 2 very good teams Philly and Sea.
Beyond those teams there will be a fight for the playoffs.

zagnut

Reaction score
I agree with WG. I can only see the Colts in that elite status, with Pittsburgh really close. If the Colts cannot win it this year, they should really think about cleaning the oven with the gas on.

NFC is going to go down to the wire. It looks like it's literally anyones game.

NorTex

Reaction score
I don't see any elite teams in the AFC or NFC.

The Colts have played an easy schedule thus far.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
Alot of the media was talking about this last night and today. The NFC went 5-0 against the AFC yesterday...

DallasKnight

Reaction score
joshjwc9 said:
IMO there are 1 elite team in each conference.
In the AFC there is the Colts and the Falcons in the NFC.
The AFC has 3 very good teams Pitt, Cinn and Denver.
The NFC has 2 very good teams Philly and Sea.
Beyond those teams there will be a fight for the playoffs.

The only thing I disagree with here, is: The NFC has the NFC East, and Sea.
I don't believe the Fecals are any better than the rest of the NFC East anymore. I don't believe that they will end up winning our division this year.

Dallas4ever

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

WG......I see very few if any elite teams in either conference. I'll give you the Colt's and maybeeeee Pittsburgh, but no one else really stands out in that regard....not thus far at least. Ne has fallen due to injuries and everyone else falls into the maybe category. I agree that there's a bunch of maybe's in the NFC. The league wanted parity and that's what we now have.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Uncertain whether there's ever been a gap per_se. You see, according to the stats, since the existence of the Pro bowl (NFC versus AFC) ...

All-Time NFC-AFC Pro Bowl Results (chronological order in years)

NFC 55-52 ....2004
AFC 45-20
AFC 38-30
AFC 38-17
NFC 51-31
AFC 23-10
AFC 29-24
AFC 26-23
NFC 20-13
AFC 41-13
NFC 17-3
AFC 23-20
NFC 21-15
AFC 23-21
NFC 27-21
NFC 34-3
AFC15-6
AFC 10-6
NFC 28-24.
AFC 22-14
NFC 45-3
N FC 20-19
AFC16-13
NFC 21-7
NFC 37-27
NFC 13-7
NFC 14-13
AFC 24-14
NFC 23-20
NFC 17-10
AFC 15-13
AFC33-28
AFC 26-13
NFC 27-6...1978

That exactly 17 wins each. This year wiLl be a tie-breaker.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
PT, all due respect but the Pro Bowl is a scam. That game means nothing to anyone involved.

Anyone ever think that there is no clear cut elite team in the NFC because it is competitive ?

The Pats are in a division with three dismal teams the Jets, Dolphins, and Bills.
The Colts are in a division with the rebuilding Titans, the pitiful Texans, and the underachieving Jags.
The Broncos are in a division where they all have explosive offenses and average defenses.
The Steelers are in the toughest AFC division. They have the up and coming Bengals...oops never mind.

The Seahawks are in a division that ANY NFCE team would easily win.
The NFCN is pitiful.
The NFCS is up for grabs. They all play a solid brand of football.
The NFCE is IMO clearly the toughest division in the league. Every team could wind up with a .500 record or better. The biggest obstacle for winning in the NFCE is the other teams in the NFCE.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
PT, all due respect but the Pro Bowl is a scam. That game means nothing to anyone involved. Anyone ever think that there is no clear cut elite team in the NFC because it is competitive ?

Well, your're right SaT -- the Probowl is a showboat game. But hey, I was merely providing what stats are available and the closest thing to what we have as a measurement of NFC versus AFC quality.

Perhaps the NFL should consider playing the Best NFC team against the best AFC team ...wait a minute, isn't that the Superbowl? Anyone care to research to determine the stats at the SB as they apply to NFC/AFC? Have at it.