NFL: 2021 NFC potential cut candidates

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
JJ Watts called free agency wild the other day..........guessing he was giving us a hint of what to expect.

2021 NFC cut candidates: Viable releases and potential surprises

Strong candidates for release
1-3) WR Alshon Jeffery, DT Malik Jackson and WR Marquise Goodwin, Philadelphia Eagles: General manager Howie Roseman has a lot of pruning to do with an aging roster, even after offloading Carson Wentz on Thursday. Roseman already started by shuffling money around in Jeffery and Jackson's contracts in anticipation of releasing them as June 1st cuts. (There's always a way to find cap space!) Goodwin's release would also save more than $4.2 million. These are relatively easy moves for a team expected to make tougher cuts.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfc-c...-and-potential-surprises?campaign=Twitter_atn

Last edited by a moderator:

cristglo

Reaction score
Its going to get wild as JJ stated!!
There is also going to be some restructures in hopes the cap is back to the "norm" in 2022.

EJK24

Reaction score
It would be nice to think we could pick up a guy or two that could actually contribute and make a difference but we know how they feel about spending on players that they didn't draft. I hope I'm wrong but history says we otherwise.

Aven8

Reaction score
Spot on comment about Jaylon. This team doesn’t admit mistakes and cut bait. They wait until it’s too late. As bad as Philly did with Wentz, at least they weren’t afraid to cut ties.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Spot on comment about Jaylon. This team doesn’t admit mistakes and cut bait. They wait until it’s too late. As bad as Philly did with Wentz, at least they weren’t afraid to cut ties.

That's Lurie......once admitted he's a bottom-line guy. He's never been afraid of a mistake........see Chip Kelly. Hate the Eagles but love him as an owner. He's the reason you can never count the Eagles out. I'm willing to bet Howie Roseman is walking eggs and shells these days. Wouldn't surprise one bit to see Lurie fire his a....... after he cleans up the mess he made with Wentz.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
It would be nice to think we could pick up a guy or two that could actually contribute and make a difference but we know how they feel about spending on players that they didn't draft. I hope I'm wrong but history says we otherwise.
Well these super star free agents will push the 3rd tier/wave guys to be better than expected...so there's hope from Stephen lmao

Aven8

Reaction score
That's Lurie......once admitted he's a bottom-line guy. He's never been afraid of a mistake........see Chip Kelly. Hate the Eagles but love him as an owner. He's the reason you can never count the Eagles out. I'm willing to bet Howie Roseman is walking eggs and shells these days. Wouldn't surprise one bit to see Lurie fire his a....... after he cleans up the mess he made with Wentz.

I’m still kind of amazed they fired Pederson. I thought the reason was because he didn’t like Wentz, but apparently now that wasn’t the case.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
"My guess is he stays. Smith got that extension because ownership loves him and the Cowboys don't save much by cutting him until after June 1, which feels like a long time away. Admitting personnel mistakes and making moves expressly designed to help the cap in the future are not The Cowboys Way."

lol

Sydla

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what they do with Smith. Making him a June 1 cut save you $7.2MM this year but you also have to carry a $6.8 million dead cap hit in 2022.

Sydla

Reaction score

Philly is not the best example of cutting guys to admit a mistake. They are still carrying Alshon Jeffery on their roster when they should have moved on at least a year ago. Further, Lurie is still employing Roseman as GM despite his clear screw ups in the draft and he's the one who botched the whole Wentz thing from the beginning.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I’m still kind of amazed they fired Pederson. I thought the reason was because he didn’t like Wentz, but apparently now that wasn’t the case.

Honestly, I think it was a little bit of Wentz AND Roseman for different reasons. A couple of things I've heard/read lead me to believe Pederson basically lost his team. He was privately saying after the season he was tired of being told what to do. That's likely was a shot at Roseman directing him to tank the final game for a better draft position. He lost the respect of a lot of players who knew Roseman was behind the tanking but Pederson didn't stand up to him. Of course, he'd already lost Wentz when he benched him for Hurts. What's interesting is they misjudged how bad Wentz wanted out regardless of Pederson being fired or not. Their coaching search was centered around someone who could fix Wentz ( hint the hiring off Colts staff ). Word is once he was benched, Wentz had no intention of playing for Lurie, Roseman, or Pederson again. Tony Dungy tweeted he was told, for whatever reason, the Eagles didn't want to hire another coach off Andy Reid's tree, which explains why they were never serious about Eric Bieniemy.

Someone asked one of the beat writers how Roseman got a free pass.......he didn't. Just he or Pederson had to go....

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Philly is not the best example of cutting guys to admit a mistake. They are still carrying Alshon Jeffery on their roster when they should have moved on at least a year ago. Further, Lurie is still employing Roseman as GM despite his clear screw ups in the draft and he's the one who botched the whole Wentz thing from the beginning.

Oh, his day is coming according to a couple of tweets I've read.......Lurie is making him clean up his mess is what one said (LOL).

fivetwos

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what they do with Smith. Making him a June 1 cut save you $7.2MM this year but you also have to carry a $6.8 million dead cap hit in 2022.
Is there really an actual question as to what Mr "Dadgummit, I'll pruhv ya rahng" is gonna actually do?

Jerry doubles down on blind hope before any other move.

The idea of changing the DC was to make his pet LBs look better.

I still claim someone should have seen this misfit in advance of the MM hire in the first place, but what do I know about running an NFL team that the Joneses dont?

I'm sure talking to one guy for 12 hours covered exactly how wonderful the Nolan scheme would work with the current personnel.

MrPhil

Reaction score
From the article:

"Admitting personnel mistakes and making moves expressly designed to help the cap in the future are not The Cowboys Way."

So much fan frustration summed up in one sentence........