NFL Admits Refs mistakes in Hawks\Giants game Shocky and Toomer TD's

joe_cowboy

Reaction score
jordan20 said:
Quick question on Toomer's TD. Does anyone feel that after he gets his first foot in, it goes out of bounds before he taps his second foot?

Yes...blown replay. That was easy to call. It doesn't matter if both feet land in if before the second foot lands in, the first foot drags out, which it did. I couldn't believe all the replays and all the praise of that non-touchdown!

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I was watching that game I knew that the receiver didn't get his feet down with 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter. They reviewed and let it stand but everyone overlooked one simple thing. Yes, his left foot was inbounds and yes, he dragged his right foot in bounds. The one thing it seems everyone overlooked was that by the time his right foot hit the ground, his left foot had already slid out of bounds.

Now, all of this being said, the way the Giants were driving, they were most likely going to get a touchdown anyway so in the end, I don't think it was "game changing" and really benefited Seattle by giving them a lot of time left to win the game (even though they didn't take advantage of it).

-Reality

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
I just watched the Tivo on both plays this morning, and they both looked like the correct calls to me.

Gosh, you have a ton of time on your hands or did you do this brushing your teeth or something?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
235-133-View.jpg

I had that magazine.

Martice

Reaction score
I thought the back heal of Toomer's right foot may have been on the line. It was obvious as he moved to put his left foot in bounds.

Shockey's was not a TD period. Yeah the Hawks won but now the Giants have this false hope that we have to deal with because of bad calls. Big calls at that.

Oh well, none of this changes the fact that we are going to have to play some good football in order to win this Sunday.

Real good football!!!

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wolverine said:
This is why the NFL needs to fine refs for bad calls. .

You have GOT to be kidding right?

Do you know how difficult it is to ref a game?

Would you like to be fined every time you make a mistake at work?

The NFL did their best to remedy mistakes by refs by implementing instant review. For the most part, it works.It;s not infallible.

Their are thousands of plays run each and every single week. Nobody is perfect, mistakes are part of life and part of the game.

Besides, do you think the refs union would even allow for that?

Frankly, the idea of fining refs for bad calls is absurd IMO/FWIW.

joseephuss

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
I'm surprised the NFL saw indisputable evidence that both calls should have been reversed. I just watched the Tivo on both plays this morning, and they both looked like the correct calls to me. Shockey's left toe brushed the turf before the ball came loose (you can see the rubber pellets coming up out of the turf), and Toomer's right toe came down in bounds with his left foot still inbounds (you can see the blue paint in the end zone under his left heel).

The only thing that might have been invalid on Shockey's TD is if he had the ball long enough, because he had possession of the ball and both feet down in the end zone.

It was possible that Toomer's right heel was out of bounds. I think you are right that it doesn't look indisputable, but if they do think his heel was out, then it isn't a TD.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I didn't think Shockey's was a TD. Put it this way, if it had happened on a regular play, they would've called it incomplete. They would not have called it a fumble.

I thought Toomer was in, but just barely. Hard to tell when Fox didn't give the best angle on Toomer's foot.

Rich.......