CFZ NFL and Cowboys players who have impressive academic achievements

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Martellus Bennett writes children's books
:laugh:I don't like or dislike him...but that made me lol for real being sandwiched in between all the academic accomplishments being listed for others.

Being smart can only contribute positively to your career I would imagine. Maybe not critical, but a great compliment to your athletic traits.

OL are some of the smartest people you will find in the general public. Big Nerd Alerts! :)

Last edited:

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Michael Irvin got excellent grades in chemistry, so I hear.

Motorola

Reaction score
It’s a myth that most college football players are not the sharpest knives in the drawer or declare silly majors like “General Studies”. In fact, as of 2021, NFL players have the highest college graduation rate of any professional sport in the world. Over 40% of current NFL players have a degree by the time they enter the league, and many more get their degrees while still playing in the NFL.

There are many famous NFL players who were also brilliant in the classroom. Here are a few:
  • HOF 49er QB Steve Young has a law degree from BYU.
  • HOF Vikings DL Alan Page earned a doctorate in law and later served as an Assistant Attorney General and later a Minnesota Supreme Court justice.
  • Former Browns QB Frank Ryan has a doctorate in mathematics from Rice University and has served as a professor in math at Cleveland‘s Case Western University.
  • Former rams QB Pat Hayden was a Rhodes Scholar who studied at Oxford in England where he earned a bachelors degree in economics and political science. He later earned a law degree from Loyola University.
  • Former Titans S Myron Rolle was also a Rhodes Scholar who earned a bachelor’s degree in exercise science/pre-med then earned a Master‘s in medical anthropology from Oxford University in England. He is now an intern in neurosurgery at Harvard University Hospital in Massachusetts.
There are several current and former Cowboys who earned multiple”e degrees:
  • Former Cowboys OL Blaine Nye graduated from Stanford University with a bachelor's degree in physics, then later two master’s degrees- one in physics from Univ of Washington and and another in business administration from Stanford. And…after retiring he earned a doctorate degree in Finance, also from Stanford.
  • Former Cowboys C Travis Frederick with a degree in computer engineering from Wisconsin where he was All Academic Big 10 for his excellence in the classroom. as well as All Big 10. He has been working on an advanced degree in computer science and has started a video game business.
  • Former Cowboys WR Tony Hill graduated from Stanford in 1977 at age 20 with a degree in Political Science where he was All Academic Pac 8 player. He has started several businesses in the Dallas area and works for the City of Allen as a Resource Development Manager.
  • Current QB Dak Prescott has a bachelors degree in educational psychology, a master’s degree in workforce leadership and has started his doctoral degree in psychology.
Lots of NFL players and certainly several Dallas Cowboys players have impressive academic achievements. The dumb jock reputation for football players doesn’t always apply.
And Bobhaze -- growing up watching the NFL and AFL on TV during the 1960s and beyond -- many of the former players that became game announcers and analysts -- would proudly mention and expound on the academic achievements of their former teammates \ rivals \ league bretheren -- outside of sports.
Tom Brookshier (whose NFL journey and accomplishments could be considered HOF worthy as a contributor) -- NEVER, EVER failed to refer to Browns QB Frank Ryan as "Doctor" in every game I watched when he was play-by-play or analyst for a Cleveland game.
Pat Summerall and Al DeRogatis were other former players who didn't hestitate to mention players' achievements away from the field.
Broadcast legends Curt Gowdy, Chris Schenkel, and others did the same.

plasticman

Reaction score
Moose is a good one. Calvin Hill too. Love the stories about the “zero club”. I think the underrated Larry Cole was also a charter member, lol.
As well as Pat Toomay.

"Some people are famous and some people are infamous. We were un-famous." - Blaine Nye

Hardline

Reaction score
It totally slips my mind but wasn't there a Cowboy not long ago that had a degree in chemical engineering?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It totally slips my mind but wasn't there a Cowboy not long ago that had a degree in chemical engineering?
The only one that comes to mind is Stephen Jones, who graduated from Univ of Arkansas in 1988 with a degree in Chemical Engineering. Wish that could help us more with team “chemistry”, lol.

Centex

Reaction score
Mark Adickes. Offensive lineman for Kansas City and the Washington went to Harvard medical school and is one of the top orthopedic surgeons in Texas.

shabazz

Reaction score
That was Michael…….
yeah, i know. Thanks

tried to edit it but was unable to.

I always seem to get these 2 classy guys mixed up. Martellus is the one quoted as saying “ I hated Witten”

I guess he expected Witt to help him take his job away from him.….just like Favre would have helped Rodgers, lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
yeah, i know. Thanks

tried to edit it but was unable to.

I always seem to get these 2 classy guys mixed up. Martellus is the one quoted as saying “ I hated Witten”

I guess he expected Witt to help him take his job away from him.….just like Favre would have helped Rodgers, lol.
Martellus never threatened Witten's job he was gonna retire a Cowboy if he wanted to thats why I don't know why they kept drafting tight ends in the 2nd round they wasn't gonna play lol. Fake *** promise of two tight end sets......

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
It’s a myth that most college football players are not the sharpest knives in the drawer or declare silly majors like “General Studies”. In fact, as of 2021, NFL players have the highest college graduation rate of any professional sport in the world. Over 40% of current NFL players have a degree by the time they enter the league, and many more get their degrees while still playing in the NFL.

There are many famous NFL players who were also brilliant in the classroom. Here are a few:
  • HOF Vikings DL Alan Page earned a doctorate in law and later served as an Assistant Attorney General and later a Minnesota Supreme Court justice.
  • Former Browns QB Frank Ryan has a doctorate in mathematics from Rice University and has served as a professor in math at Cleveland‘s Case Western University.
  • Former rams QB Pat Hayden was a Rhodes Scholar who studied at Oxford in England where he earned a bachelors degree in economics and political science. He later earned a law degree from Loyola University.
  • Former Titans S Myron Rolle was also a Rhodes Scholar who earned a bachelor’s degree in exercise science/pre-med then earned a Master‘s in medical anthropology from Oxford University in England. He is now an intern in neurosurgery at Harvard University Hospital in Massachusetts.
  • Former Cowboys OL Blaine Nye graduated from Stanford University with a bachelor's degree in physics, then later two master’s degrees- one in physics from Univ of Washington and and another in business administration from Stanford. And…after retiring he earned a doctorate degree in Finance, also from Stanford.
  • Former Cowboys C Travis Frederick with a degree in computer engineering from Wisconsin where he was All Academic Big 10 for his excellence in the classroom. as well as All Big 10. He has been working on an advanced degree in computer science and has started a video game business.
  • Former Cowboys WR Tony Hill graduated from Stanford in 1977 at age 20 with a degree in Political Science where he was All Academic Pac 8 player. He has started several businesses in the Dallas area and works for the City of Allen as a Resource Development Manager.
  • Current QB Dak Prescott has a bachelors degree in educational psychology, a master’s degree in workforce leadership and has started his doctoral degree in psychology.
Lots of NFL players and certainly several Dallas Cowboys players have impressive academic achievements. The dumb jock reputation for football players doesn’t always apply.
education psychology and workforce leadership, dang were they no more room in the basket weaving curriculum?

eromeopolk

Reaction score

John Urschel ex Raven OL has bachelor's and master's degrees (both from Penn State) and a doctorate (from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology), all in mathematics. 30 reps at 225lbs ain't bad either.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Alan Page is one who always impressed me with his post-NFL career. Legal degrees, Minnesota Supreme Court Justice. Had a non-athletic career equally as impressive as his football career, which was a great one.

JayFord

Reaction score
I love when players have degrees and persuit other things once football ends

you dont always have to go into the booth which is fine...nothing wrong with that but youre giving yourself options