NFL and NFLPA joint agreement on pain management, potentially including marijuana

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
What makes you think I'm not serious? I think your problem may be that I'm actually taking your argument seriously.

It was the statement that this post referred to. The response could not have been a serious one. I suspect you wanted to draw out the discussion to include the entire scope of NFL and Antitrust. To be honest, I don't really want to go down that road because then it gets away from the point of the discussion, which I think you can see, is happening now. I just don't think this topic needs that.

Believe me, it is not that you are taking the discussion seriously. There is nothing I appreciate more then a poster who takes the actual discussion seriously. Even if they don't agree with me, I think it's cool when actually discuss.

OK, I'm done for the day. I will check back on this thread tomorrow. Have a good evening Haimerij.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Whats the difference then them going into games on Pain killers " opiates" or even worse getting Toradol injections before and during? medical MJ is not like the crap you buy on the corner either. But if a player is abusing it ... then he should be treated just as if they abused ANY prescription medicine. " Not used as directed"
Well I dont know the details on what they do use, but I would suspect they dont get the person "high"
MJ is not good for going to work, and that is what the game is, it is work and a job.
They dont have to take any injections they dont approve of, or take opiates to play.

Why are you so concerned for the players being able to use medical MJ ??
And like I said I really doubt the nfl will stop testing or allow medical MJ .

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It's tax exempt, of course it's not publicly traded. Even you should understand that. It's not a corporation but if that's what you want to believe, that's fine with me.

http://time.com/3839164/nfl-tax-exempt-status/

No, it's not anymore. Churches are tax exempt as well. That does not make it public. Same with non-profits. You sure are wrong a lot.

And you obviously have no idea what a corporate entity even is. A trust is one and the NFL is a trust.

just accept that there is no law or contract that does what you claimed.

Haimerej

Reaction score
How can that be, I was not speaking to you initially and you entered the conversation. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with that but you can't have it both ways. Either I was talking to somebody else and you inserted or I was only talking to you and that's not true at all and we both know that.

I was referring to what we were speaking about- your idea that they could have legal liability if they didn't test for weed. You're off on a tangent now.
The question of , "are you a doctor", was meant as a counter to the previous statement and not a direct question to you. If you reread the post, it might become a bit more clear on the intent. However, good to know your background.

You were asking about my assertion that it's less dangerous than opioids. I qualified my position.

It happens all the time but I'm not going to argue the point with you. Again, and I don't know why I'm surprised but, I never said that people filing lawsuits constitutes proof of liability. Never once and I certainly invite you show me where I ever said anything like that. What I said was that it opens you up to suit and it does.

"It" was, "your insistence [the NFL has] liability." Go back and reread. I said you saying the NFL has liability doesn't make it so and you said it doesn't mean it's wrong. Now you're saying they don't have liability. That means your concerns about frivolous lawsuits lose some of their weight... which is what I've been saying from the beginning.

That is one of the things that is being discussed, yes. However, there is a better way IMO, which I have outlined. I don't know what you are referring to with regards to increased testing but there will still be testing in the NFL regardless. Just to be clear.

Sigh... I was showing how they would benefit... you know, responding to your question... and you said they wouldn't save money because they'd still test... so I said you're forgetting about the increased cost of increased testing if they fail for weed... which is what they do now... that's what I was referring to... the question and counterpoint you made in our discusion...

You think that's a driving force in all of this? Who's being disingenuous here now? No, I don't believe that that is even a blip on the NFL's radar, in terms of this issue.

No, I don't think it's a driving force. I have no idea how you took me saying players not getting suspended as one of a few benefits was saying it were a driving force. But you have to reframe it so you don't have to acknowledge it as a benefit. Ok.

There are many alternatives to opioids already, yet none of them seem to prevent people from increasing the use of opioids. I mean, at some point you have to wonder if this is on the users? I am not certain how prohibition relates to any point I was trying to make but perhaps I just misunderstand you here. What I am suggesting is that alcohol, for example, is an alternative and yet, it has not been successful in stopping the escalation with more and more powerful drugs. I think it's just the situations we live in. People want to do these drugs and I don't believe that allowing weed, especially the type that I believe the league would allow, is going to prevent or even help that situation much.

You used alcohol as an example that weed hadn't worked as an alternative for it, to which I said weed being a prohibited substance affects that metric.

I get it. You don't like the reefer. Just don't imply the NFL would face legal problems for not testing and we can agree to disagree on the rest.

Haimerej

Reaction score
No, I don't believe so. There very unique position with multiple owners is not a board of directors, per say. There is no one owner. Their are multiple owners so I think it's really more of a cartel, to be honest. Because of their Antitrust exemption, they are very conscious of congressional involvement of any kind. I'm just saying, that's extremely important and the league is hyper sensitive to any risks associated with that. There is a lot to that topic. I mean, I don't want to get into it and honestly, I don't have the time to do it right now, but don't underestimate the importance attached to that one topic by the league.

Nothing you stated above means it's not a private company.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privately_held_company

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Wonder how/if this affects Randy Gregory and his suspension?

Dragging themselves out of the dark ages is a start. Of course Mary Jane has therapeutic benefits. Far less dangerous and addictive than synthetic opiates too. Talk is a start. As for Gregory, who knows. It's a process :)

Haimerej

Reaction score
Just to clear up some confusion, here's one of your posts from this thread, my own emphasis added-

I never said make it legal, or usable, or allowed in the NFL.
I was saying that they can simply relax their testing policies. That is not law.
I don't even really advocate for MJ use in the NFL.
But legally, that suggests complicit behavior which makes the NFL liable in legal cases.

So... yeah... you did say they would be liable.

Birdgang

Reaction score
Well I dont know the details on what they do use, but I would suspect they dont get the person "high"
MJ is not good for going to work, and that is what the game is, it is work and a job.
They dont have to take any injections they dont approve of, or take opiates to play.

Why are you so concerned for the players being able to use medical MJ ??
And like I said I really doubt the nfl will stop testing or allow medical MJ .

Ok, one you use the term High but that does not really happen with it. Opiates would be a cause for more concern with that ..... The Shots are even scarier as it will hide an injury or be able to get a player through a game with an injury. Why am i big on it for players ? Im big on it for anyone that it can help and not have to use heavy narcotics. You could easily go to work on medical MJ with the right strain and Id bet my house 99 out of 100 would not even know .

JBond

Reaction score
Marijuana is a perception problem for the NFL , not a legal problem.

The network and their sponsors are concerned about investing billions into a league of pot smokers.
It's not an issue for the MLB or MBA. They don't even test in Baseball.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Just to clear up some confusion, here's one of your posts from this thread, my own emphasis added-

So... yeah... you did say they would be liable.
Don't you drag me into this Ricky Bobby!

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
No the pain killing aspect of weed is not that strong, it would not conceal injuries, it might help with soreness, outside of a game but not in a game where
you get hit.
Players have access to opiate based painkillers which they can use for playing while injured or sore etc, and the NFL is ok with all that.
A player gets hurt they take him to locker room, and then he reappears and plays like he isnt hurt or sore, that is using pain killers.
A good example is when Romo got a knee to the back in the wash game, goes to locker room and appears later ready to play lol....pain killers!

I guess I did not explain myself as well as i should have. I'm not talking about an in game injury and I know players have access to pain killers via the team doctor. However a player could try to self medicate a sore neck/back/knee instead of going the the team doctor in the first place. The doctor might direct the team to sit him and not play or practice for weeks, thus potentially allowing another player to take his position permanently. Players also don't want to develop a history of being injured and try to avoid the doctor if possible.

MJ is prescribed for pain management as well as mental health issues. Its prescribed to cancer patients and people with arthritic conditions so I have to disagree with you there. It might not be as strong as an opiate, but it can be effective.

Sinister

Reaction score
I guess I did not explain myself as well as i should have. I'm not talking about an in game injury and I know players have access to pain killers via the team doctor. However a player could try to self medicate a sore neck/back/knee instead of going the the team doctor in the first place. The doctor might direct the team to sit him and not play or practice for weeks, thus potentially allowing another player to take his position permanently. Players also don't want to develop a history of being injured and try to avoid the doctor if possible.

MJ is prescribed for pain management as well as mental health issues. Its prescribed to cancer patients and people with arthritic conditions so I have to disagree with you there. It might not be as strong as an opiate, but it can be effective.

I'm going to say it once again medical marijuana cannot be PRESCRIBED; not in California not in Washington.

So long as it is a schedule 1 drug it is illegal for any Dr to prescribe marijuana.

Drs can recommend marijuana, but it can't be prescibed.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Ok, one you use the term High but that does not really happen with it. Opiates would be a cause for more concern with that ..... The Shots are even scarier as it will hide an injury or be able to get a player through a game with an injury. Why am i big on it for players ? Im big on it for anyone that it can help and not have to use heavy narcotics. You could easily go to work on medical MJ with the right strain and Id bet my house 99 out of 100 would not even know .
I think the guy in your avatar could use some heavy duty MJ lol it might mellow him out some!
It all comes down to the politicians in washington, untill they legalize it nationally, there will be very little progress on the issue, and the
ones that are there are not going to legalize it.

I saw a show where parents of children with disorders, were wanting to use medical versions of MJ, but they were blocked at every turn
due to federal laws and some state laws. It took them years to gain access to it.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I'm going to say it once again medical marijuana cannot be PRESCRIBED; not in California not in Washington.

So long as it is a schedule 1 drug it is illegal for any Dr to prescribe marijuana.

Well people somehow get it as it is a booming business, millions per year.
If it isnt prescribed, couldnt anyone just walk in and buy it?
And if that were the case I would think the feds would shut down the places that sell it. Or even the local police would bust them as simple dealers.
There was a guy on survivor show a few years back who became a millionaire selling it.

I saw a documentary on the scene in california, and the medical dealers just buy from any
grower who can grow high quality buds, there was no real science to it.
They had a variety of buds to choose from and the markup is evidently quite high.

Sinister

Reaction score
I think the guy in your avatar could use some heavy duty MJ lol it might mellow him out some!
It all comes down to the politicians in washington, untill they legalize it nationally, there will be very little progress on the issue, and the
ones that are there are not going to legalize it.

I saw a show where parents of children with disorders, were wanting to use medical versions of MJ, but they were blocked at every turn
due to federal laws and some state laws. It took them years to gain access to it.

My friends daughter had a severe form of epilepsy called Dravet syndrome. They had to move to Colorado to get her treatment. She was having something like 100 seizures a day. The only thing that worked was a medical marijuana strain with a higher than normal THC content. Without that life saving drug she would have died. Luckily she not able to live her life and my friends are so much happier.

Bohuntr97

Reaction score

True. A recommendation is just a legal loophole which I consider equivalent to a prescription. A person still needs a valid diagnosis and said recommendation from a licensed physician.

Sinister

Reaction score
Well people somehow get it as it is a booming business, millions per year.
If it isnt prescribed, couldnt anyone just walk in and buy it?
And if that were the case I would think the feds would shut down the places that sell it. Or even the local police would bust them as simple dealers.
There was a guy on survivor show a few years back who became a millionaire selling it.

I saw a documentary on the scene in california, and the medical dealers just buy from any
grower who can grow high quality buds, there was no real science to it.
They had a variety of buds to choose from and the markup is evidently quite high.

Doctors can recommend and authorize a patient to use Marijuana, but can't write out a prescription. So only in states that have the infrastructure that supports medical marijuana can patients actually benefit from marijuana.

So, in Texas for example a doctor can authorize you to use Marijuana, but you obviously can't go down to walgreens to pick up your marijuana, because in Texas it is illegal to even have marijuana.

However, in Colorado the doctor can authorize their patient to use medical marijuana and the patient can go to a dispensary and find the strain the doctor recommended.

Sinister

Reaction score
True. A recommendation is just a legal loophole which I consider equivalent to a prescription. A person still needs a valid diagnosis and said recommendation from a licensed physician.

It's not equivalent to a prescription, because a prescription is a lawful order that can protect the patient and allow the patient to receive the necessary treatment regardless of laws. A prescription supercedes local laws.

Whereas a recommendation does not supercede local laws and you can still be arrested if you are breaking local laws as in the case of medical marijuana.