NFL and NFLPA joint agreement on pain management, potentially including marijuana

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
While I do agree marijuana doesn’t induce violent or destructive behavior it does have other negative causes with its addiction. Like under achievement and laziness. A far too laid back approach to life. Altering the mind especially with a young person can never be constructive behavior.

Yes, they can function like all substance abusers but when you live for the next buzz or high it has long lasting effects on your productive nature and lifestyle. Do we really want a nation with a culture of everyone getting high or with a buzz to get thru the day?

Sad that so many people are down or depressed in their life they need a substance without a natural high on life and their own achievements.

There really is no question here. The Medical Profession agrees that Weed is not harmless and that there are negative effects of using. I mean, it's really only a matter of time before studies are done and if the results are negative, it's going to be a crap show IMO.

risco

Reaction score
Hmm- Jerry may be right- Randy Gregory may be coming back this year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But it is Law, at least in something like 30 states. To allow it in the NFL opens up a can of legal worms for the League. I mean, what happens when players get busted in states where Weed is illegal (and they will, you know it as well as I do)? I don't think it's as easy as it might seem on the surface and there is also the other side of the discussion that would need to be considered by the League. I mean, yes a lot of the players are probably in favor of this but the Players are not the driver in this situation. The Fan Base is the driver on this because they are your audience. While many NFL Fans may not care about smoking weed, a very key, very large core of fans are not in favor of it. You risk losing that fan base if you make this move. You add to the fact that we are still very early in this legalization of weed. There are medical factors that have yet to be realized. A lot of people believe weed is harmless but we all know it's addicting and we don't yet know the long lasting effects of weed usage on the entire population. It could very well turn out that there are negative long lasting effects and that they are effecting the younger population in a negative way. If this ever comes to realization, I suspect that the entire fan base will change their opinions on weed and that could be very, very bad for the league if they decide to back weed usage.

JMO
Well said!!

And why the perception with a league of pot smokers isn’t appealing for the owners attempting to sell their product to networks, sponsors and the public at large.

There’s a reason it’s not legal nationwide . Not everyone believes it’s harmless nor know the long lasting effects as you’ve mentioned.

I’m not sure we want a nation built on stoners. Lol

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I never said make it legal, or usable, or allowed in the NFL.
I was saying that they can simply relax their testing policies. That is not law.
I don't even really advocate for MJ use in the NFL.

But legally, that suggests complicit behavior which makes the NFL liable in legal cases.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Its not so much that MJ is addicting or even opiates .... its more than the person has an addictive personality. Yes the human body can become dependent on opiates but that type of person can be weaned off when no longer needed. So someone like Gregory is going to have a hard time putting anything down he takes regularly.It also to applies to a much larger scale of things. Some say its genetics which is true, but that does not mean you will be effected. Example My father was an alcoholic and actually high functioning. Only one of my 5 siblings had an issue. I myself was on pain killers for over a year after an accident and during rehab " got hit by an armored truck on a bike" had no issues coming off and actually pushed it faster then docs wanted. There will always be bad people that will take advantage of good things and mess it up for the people that need and would use as directed.

As someone who just got a Master's in Homeland Security Studies a few weeks ago (which is why I'm enjoying Italy to celebrate) and a Bachelor's in CJ, I agree to an extent. However, weaning people off of some opioids is much harder than it sounds. However, this is a post about weed, so I shall stick to that. The factors about marijuana are such that, as I said, I like the thought of it as medicinal. However, if it's going to be legalized, then I'd be okay as long as it's regulated.

Birdgang

Reaction score
But it is Law, at least in something like 30 states. To allow it in the NFL opens up a can of legal worms for the League. I mean, what happens when players get busted in states where Weed is illegal (and they will, you know it as well as I do)? I don't think it's as easy as it might seem on the surface and there is also the other side of the discussion that would need to be considered by the League. I mean, yes a lot of the players are probably in favor of this but the Players are not the driver in this situation. The Fan Base is the driver on this because they are your audience. While many NFL Fans may not care about smoking weed, a very key, very large core of fans are not in favor of it. You risk losing that fan base if you make this move. You add to the fact that we are still very early in this legalization of weed. There are medical factors that have yet to be realized. A lot of people believe weed is harmless but we all know it's addicting and we don't yet know the long lasting effects of weed usage on the entire population. It could very well turn out that there are negative long lasting effects and that they are effecting the younger population in a negative way. If this ever comes to realization, I suspect that the entire fan base will change their opinions on weed and that could be very, very bad for the league if they decide to back weed usage.

JMO

long lasting effects cant be worse then Booze and tobacco .... as they lead in the Nation is deaths 15x and 5 x more then illicit drugs and prescription drugs combined. People that take Medical MJ should not get busted with it ..... as there are already Local rules and laws about it. There is no reason a person should be using while out or driving while on it. If transporting it should not be accessible. Lets even look at this as a different point .... It would bring Taxes , jobs more taxes, less crime as no need for street dealers " if made legal for all" MJ/ Hemp can make paper, clothes rope. So it saves trees which we need in the word. IMO its no different than prohibition. Notice oyu dotn hear much anymore about MJ in news like you did 20 years ago. Now its all about prescription pill epidemic. BTW I dont smoke but I have a couple Docs and Nurses in the family.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
But legally, that suggests complicit behavior which makes the NFL liable in legal cases.
I thought about that...
I'm not sure you can win that one, but it depends on the circumstances.

What kind of legal case would bring the NFL in for responsibility, or complicity that someone smoked a joint?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Who said smoke ? There are a lot of ways use Medical MJ from food, drinks to ointments. I also stated that since its regulated under doctors its not free for all do what you want. Just like any prescribed medicine being abused. Med MJ is not at all the same crap people get off the street and has certain strains for certain conditions. The pros vs negatives are not even close as there are very few. Also you dont get said "High" when taken the proper dose. Just like opiates, patients that actually need them dont get that high effect the drug seekers do .... as it reduces the pain. Now granted there are exceptions for everything ... and not everyone reacts the same to treatments. That's, why you are under doctors, care and monitoring. Trust me if they really need it ... abuse wont be a problem. The people that dont can F off . When is last time you have seen a person on MJ start a bar fight or go wreck a car at 100 mph ?

Still no need for it. The point is that if you want to use the argument that there are medicinal reason for using weed, then the discussion dies on the vine. You don't need to use any of those alternate methods because they can all be prescribed and regulated. Having a Dr. prescribe protects the League and regulates the usage. It's all clean and legal and that's what the League wants. Doing it the other way exposes the League and that is not the desired method of dealing with this issue. Truth be told, I don't know that the League would care one way or the other on this issue if it weren't such a publicly divided issue and if it did not deal with so many legal pitfalls. However, it does and the League will not ignore that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yep

And if enough legal cases incurred it could threaten their Antitrust exemption if challenged legislatively. It has to be a concern and why the league has to present at least a perception they are adhering to the law attempting to curb behavior.

Obviously most players get it as 99% are in compliance adhering to the scheduled testing. I’m not really sure why we are so intent in making new exceptions to the more problem players making up only 1% who threaten the image and welfare for all?

Birdgang

Reaction score
As someone who just got a Master's in Homeland Security Studies a few weeks ago (which is why I'm enjoying Italy to celebrate) and a Bachelor's in CJ, I agree to an extent. However, weaning people off of some opioids is much harder than it sounds. However, this is a post about weed, so I shall stick to that. The factors about marijuana are such that, as I said, I like the thought of it as medicinal. However, if it's going to be legalized, then I'd be okay as long as it's regulated.

Congrats btw great job. Where in Italy are you at / visiting? I go there every few years to visit family. Most of my family is still in Sicily, but I really enjoy Rome and the hustle/ bustle of the city.

When done correctly it really is not and all dependent on individual and a good Doc. I only used it as an example because players would be using MJ for the same purpose. mostly

Corso

Reaction score
Yep

And if enough legal cases incurred it could threaten their Antitrust exemption if challenged legislatively. It has to be a concern and why the league has to present at least a perception they are adhering to the law attempting to curb behavior.

Obviously most players get it as 99% are in compliance adhering to the scheduled testing. I’m not really sure why we are so intent in making new exceptions to the more problem players who threaten the welfare for all?
This could be a great point, but I struggle to think of what kind of specific case could make the NFL in trouble?
I mean, they haven't even gotten in any real trouble over the concussion mess that's still going on.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I thought about that...
I'm not sure you can win that one, but it depends on the circumstances.

What kind of legal case would bring the NFL in for responsibility, or complicity that someone smoked a joint?

Let me ask the question, what does it cost in real capitol to defend that position if you are the League? What does it cost if you lose in future lawsuits? What does it cost in public perception and future revenue, win or lose? I mean, I don't see an upside to doing this if you are the League and frankly, there really is no upside for the players either. Honest opinion, the League really does not try and burn players at the stake, over weed. They really do make it very easy for the players to do it, so long as you are not an idiot. If the players and the NFLPA would simply be smart about it and play along, they would be much better off IMO.

IDK.

Corso

Reaction score
Let me ask the question, what does it cost in real capitol to defend that position if you are the League? What does it cost if you lose in future lawsuits? What does it cost in public perception and future revenue, win or lose? I mean, I don't see an upside to doing this if you are the League and frankly, there really is no upside for the players either. Honest opinion, the League really does not try and burn players at the stake, over weed. They really do make it very easy for the players to do it, so long as you are not an idiot. If the players and the NFLPA would simply be smart about it and play along, they would be much better off IMO.

IDK.
Yeah, but there has to be a reason for a lawsuit and I'm struggling to think of what it could be.
Otherwise I'm in agreement with you.

I honestly see no need to do much of anything to the policy. I'm just saying they can do something.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Congrats btw great job. Where in Italy are you at / visiting? I go there every few years to visit family. Most of my family is still in Sicily, but I really enjoy Rome and the hustle/ bustle of the city.

When done correctly it really is not and all dependent on individual and a good Doc. I only used it as an example because players would be using MJ for the same purpose. mostly

Gratzi! 4.0 by the way. I was in the Amalfi Coast on Thursday after flying in to Rome and traveling by car that day. I then went to Florence on Sunday. I'm on the train now to Rome. I'll then head to England on Saturday. Then, the following Saturday, I'll be in Barcelona. Then, I return home for a month and a half before I turn around for a 2 week stay on the Jersey Shore. So, yes, lots of traveling.

I agree that it takes a good doc, and your point is very well taken.

Birdgang

Reaction score

IDK.

you do realize that Big Companys like the NFL get away with a lot. You dont bite the hand that feeds you. Think of all the revenue that comes along with the NFL and things attached to it. This I know fora fact first hand as Ive worked for both Federal and state agencies for the last 20 years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This could be a great point, but I struggle to think of what kind of specific case could make the NFL in trouble?
I mean, they haven't even gotten in any real trouble over the concussion mess that's still going on.
Because they’ve taken action themselves in attempting to lessen contact with the head causing concussions and monetary settlements to former players.

The league has been proactive in rule changes much to the criticism of some fans . Similar to how proactive the Personal Conduct Policy is. They are attempting to govern themselves instead of being forced to make changes or letting the legal system sort out. Brilliant leadership from Goodell and owners.

If they had not taken any action themselves if there was enough public outcry or legal cases presented against the league then legislature might have been more apt to take action.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yep

Obviously most players get it as 99% are in compliance adhering to the scheduled testing. I’m not really sure why we are so intent in making new exceptions to the more problem players making up only 1% who threaten the image and welfare for all?

Correct. What is the NFLs biggest fear? Politicians getting their hooks into the League and killing the Goose that lays the golden eggs. What is a Politicians greatest desire? Getting their hooks into the League and making a name for themselves politically by saying that they stopped "insert political cause here" in the NFL.

Corso

Reaction score
Because they’ve taken action themselves in attempting to lessen contact with the head causing concussions and monetary settlements to former players.

The league has been proactive in rule changes much to the criticism of some fans . Similar to how proactive the Personal Conduct Policy is. They are attempting to govern themselves instead of being forced to make changes or letting the legal system sort out. Brilliant leadership from Goodell and owners.

If they had not taken any action themselves if there was enough public outcry or legal cases presented against the league then legislature might have been more apt to take action.
That didn't specifically answer my question though.
You did point out why the concusiion issue isn't a bigger mess, but you didn't touch upon what I asked.

Corso

Reaction score
Correct. What is the NFLs biggest fear? Politicians getting their hooks into the League and killing the Goose that lays the golden eggs. What is a Politicians greatest desire? Getting their hooks into the League and making a name for themselves politically by saying that they stopped "insert political cause here" in the NFL.
I still don't see how.
The NFL further relaxes their testing policy over MJ. They didn't allow it, didn't advocate it, they just relaxed their policies.

Where is the lawsuit going to come from on that?