NFL Career Passing Ratings

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Let’s see where it ends up at the end of this season,guys. A little inflated with that perfect game. It was a great game but we all should slow down on the career talk. Careers should be discussed once they’re over, imo

Amazing, because a lot of laughable clowns have been talking about Dak's career has reached its full potential since his 2nd year.

GenoT

Reaction score
LOL...……….I was wondering when Dak would be good enough for the Trolls to get to the point of cutting him up for no SB's.

It took Romo about 7 years.
I wasn’t cutting Dak up, pal; merely suggesting we focus on the goal.

Or are you too young to remember when we contended for and won SBs? If so, you have my sympathy.

Ron12

Reaction score
5th in passer rating
3rd in completion %
2nd to only Rodgers in Int %.
Passer ratings mean nothing I care about Completion % & TDP's INT's & Yards Passing take the passer ratings & stick them they mean Sh/t !:thumbdown:

GenoT

Reaction score
One thing it 100% shows is that trolls like were 100% dead wrong about Dak.

And you weren't even close. And I have a sneaking suspicion that its only getting worse for you. Monday was just the appetizer.
Psssst...Brainiac...our game was on Sunday.

How’s that for a stat?
:thumbup:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I wasn’t cutting Dak up, pal; merely suggesting we focus on the goal.

Or are you too young to remember when we contended for and won SBs? If so, you have my sympathy.

My comment was in regards to your naïve misunderstanding of the game in relation to the your laughable implication it should be the norm for QB's to have won SB's by the end of year #3.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, not really. All passing stats -- old and new -- are more and more inflated every year. But that's because of the ever more pass-friendly nature of the game itself.

Passer rating has the unfortunate disadvantage of being a stat that anyone can figure himself. You don't need to wait for ESPN or PFF to post it. Commercial entities can't make money off of it, so they say it's a useless stat and theirs is better. Many people believe it's true.

But then you look at passer rating since 2016, and the five best ratings belong to Ryan, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, and Wilson.
Not just more inflated, also more compressed as people butt up against its limits. Last year, there were 11 guys between 94 and 100, 15 between 93 and 103. It doesn't meaningfully distinguish between them. It's become very sensitive to small differences in small numbers. The problem will only get worse in the future. And that's not even getting into the fact that it ignores sacks, fumbles and QB running. Other simpler stats will also bring the same guys to the top and are easily calculated and readily available.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Passer rating gets more and more pointless every year.

You can see average passer rating by year here: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/passing.htm

When Young played, it was in the mid-70s.
When Peyton played, it was in the low 80s.
Now it's in the low 90s.
At this point, it's getting compressed at the top end and the differences between most starters (top ones anyway) aren't very meaningful: so many guys throw fewer than 10 INT, for instance, that 1 or 2 more or fewer (basically in the noise) can change the order substantially.

Young's number stood out as impressive.

Staubach led the league with 84.9 in 78.

People who compare QB ratings as if they're equivalent across eras should be kept at the child's table.

GenoT

Reaction score
Young's number stood out as impressive.

Staubach led the league with 84.9 in 78.

People who compare QB ratings as if they're equivalent across eras should be kept at the child's table.
Agree.

Check out HOF’er Bobby Layne’s career QBR.

Dude could barely throw anything resembling a tight spiral, but managed to lead some otherwise average Lions teams to 3 NFL Chips in the 1950s (although he didn’t play in the ‘57 final, due to breaking his leg in the semis the week before).

Blake

Reaction score
Agree.

Check out HOF’er Bobby Layne’s career QBR.

Dude could barely throw anything resembling a tight spiral, but managed to lead some otherwise average Lions teams to 3 NFL Chips in the 1950s (although he didn’t play in the ‘57 final, due to breaking his leg in the semis the week before).

Yea well.... Don't let this distract you from the the fact that in 1966, Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, Bubba "Spare Tire" Dixon.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
As others are noting, its a rather cherry picked list. When you add in a few other players, its meaning shifts.
Mahomes 113.3
Watson 103.5

Last year 9 QB's had a rating of 100 or more. Dak actually ranked 14th in the NFL for rating. Its not one of the stats you can point to which makes him an elite QB among his peers.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
As many as Tony Romo.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
:popcorn::hammer::yourock::bow::flagwave:

HungryLion

Reaction score
As others are noting, its a rather cherry picked list. When you add in a few other players, its meaning shifts.
Mahomes 113.3
Watson 103.5

Last year 9 QB's had a rating of 100 or more. Dak actually ranked 14th in the NFL for rating. Its not one of the stats you can point to which makes him an elite QB among his peers.

He is top 10 in QB rating of all QB’s for the past 3 seasons. So it actually is one of the stats that clearly points to him being a top 10 QB among his peers.

QBR he is top 5 amongst his peers for the past 3 seasons.

Insomniac

Reaction score
Well, not really. All passing stats -- old and new -- are more and more inflated every year. But that's because of the ever more pass-friendly nature of the game itself.

Passer rating has the unfortunate disadvantage of being a stat that anyone can figure himself. You don't need to wait for ESPN or PFF to post it. Commercial entities can't make money off of it, so they say it's a useless stat and theirs is better. Many people believe it's true.

But then you look at passer rating since 2016, and the five best ratings belong to Ryan, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, and Wilson.

If you want to use Passer Rating that's OK but if you're going to compare different era's you should compare it to the average of for QBs of the years they played (Rate+ on pro-football-ref). I prefer ANY/A+ for an efficiency stat but there seems to be a high correlation between the 2. Note - Steve Young is the career leader among post merger QBs in both stats.

I disagree that being able to actually calculate the stat yourself and evaluate it is a disadvantage, other than a marketing disadvantage. If you're not going to show your methods so that people can evaluate them then why should anybody take them seriously. ( this may be an example of preaching to the choir)