The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Vic's picks: Top 5 centers in draft
4648.jpg
By Vic Carucci
National Editor, NFL.com

(March 20, 2007) -- One man's ranking of the top five centers in the NFL draft:
1. Josh Beekman, Boston College
Positives: Strength and athleticism. … Ability to get out of his stance quickly and gain favorable position against speedy pass rushers. … Powerful enough to hold his own against bull rushers. … Plays aggressively and with consistently good leverage. … Toughness. … Superb mobility allows him to get to linebackers on running plays.
Negatives: Not many. … Length of his arms isn't quite ideal, but he makes up for it by having the strength to lock onto a defender and control him.

2. Ryan Kalil, USC
img10071665.jpg
Ryan Kalil anchored the line at USC for three seasons. Positives: Tremendous quickness and athleticism. … As sound a technician as any collegiate lineman to come along in many years. … Consistently plays with good leverage and gets favorable position when blocking for the run. … Outstanding mobility allows him to get in front of quicker pass rushers. … Competitiveness.
Negatives: Size (6-foot-2-plus, 299 pounds) and strength, although he does compensate with his leverage and overall technique. … Won't match up well against larger and more powerful nose tackles, but could be highly effective in a zone-blocking scheme that puts greater emphasis on quickness and movement.

3. Samson Satele, Hawaii
Positives: Quickness and athleticism. … Does a nice job of pulling to block for outside runs. … Makes good adjustments when facing moving defenders in the open field. … Gets necessary leverage to maintain his ground against bull rushers and is able to quickly move outside to block a free blitzer.
Negatives: Needs to add strength. … Must become more aggressive when coming off the line on run blocking. … Needs to improve his overall
technique.
4. Lyle Sendlein, Texas

Ask Vic!

Positives: Quickness and athleticism. … Plays with good leverage. … Versatility; also did a solid job at guard in college. … Toughness and competitiveness.
Negatives: Doesn't show a great deal of explosiveness. … Could stand to add more bulk to his 6-3, 299-pound frame.

5. Enoka Lucas, Oregon
Positives: Tremendous athleticism. … Versatility; able to play guard as well as center. … Sound techniques, especially in pass protection. … Strong leadership skills. … Makes good line calls.
Negatives: Needs to add some bulk to help him cope with larger defensive tackles. … Could stand to work at becoming more disciplined, especially when it comes to drawing p

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder how much of Carucci's analysis was influenced by the Combine? My Lindy's review (which hit the newsstands before the Combine) lists Kalil (#1) and Satele (#2) in their top five. They slotted Lucas at #9, but Beekman and Sendlein missed out entirely.

Lucas is a good mid-to-late rounder to possibly take a chance on, but sources (Carucci, Lindy's, etc.) recognize that he needs to add weight. Al Johnson had that problem and was constantly driven back into his quarterback. Maybe we shouldn't revisit that scenario in another center via the draft.

hendog

Reaction score
DallasEast;1429227 said:
I wonder how much of Carucci's analysis was influenced by the Combine? My Lindy's review (which hit the newsstands before the Combine) lists Kalil (#1) and Satele (#2) in their top five. They slotted Lucas at #9, but Beekman and Sendlein missed out entirely.

Lucas is a good mid-to-late rounder to possibly take a chance on, but sources (Carucci, Lindy's, etc.) recognize that he needs to add weight. Al Johnson had that problem and was constantly driven back into his quarterback. Maybe we shouldn't revisit that scenario in another center via the draft.

Beekman is listed as a guard in Lindy's (I think).

burmafrd

Reaction score
Its interesting that supposedly the trend in theNFL is towards smaller quicker O linemen- and yet all the 3-4s ( and more teams each year shift) are going for the BIGGER, STRONGER NTs and DTs. Something has gotta give.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
hendog;1429257 said:
Beekman is listed as a guard in Lindy's (I think).

Beekman is not a natural center IMO. Kalil is a better prospect.

There are a lot of guards that can play center and vice versa. Satele is another (he can even go to tackle). We should be able to get a good one if we are motivated to do so.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
To my knowledge Beekman has never taken a snap at center . In fact , I've never seen him play any position other than RG .

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
I like Satele, but not one the first day when I suspect he will go. I would look at him the 3rd if no one else of interest is there.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander;1429327 said:
Beekman is not a natural center IMO. Kalil is a better prospect.

There are a lot of guards that can play center and vice versa. Satele is another (he can even go to tackle). We should be able to get a good one if we are motivated to do so.

I love Satele, he's played OG, C and OT, and had a 4.29 short-shuttle, that's quickness, he's a mean SOB to boot, would like to draft him in the 3rd, but we might have to do it in the 2nd, cuz that's where I think AZ will take him (3rd)

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
burmafrd;1429273 said:
Its interesting that supposedly the trend in theNFL is towards smaller quicker O linemen- and yet all the 3-4s ( and more teams each year shift) are going for the BIGGER, STRONGER NTs and DTs. Something has gotta give.

leonard davis would fid the smaller quicker olineman role...

our whole oline is beef except kosier

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
DallasEast;1429227 said:

I think he's OK in regards to his size. He is in the area of 6-3, 305 now. He has a wide body type which usually translates into being able to put on weight. I really like Lucas and actually picked him in my draft. He played with a sprained knee and a foot injury this year. I think he has huge upside. I would like to take this guy in the later rounds and see what he might become. He's also strong enough and agile enough to develope into a nice Guard at the next level. I like this guy.