NFL.com Power Rankings Aug 19, 2020

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh well.
I get why they want to award winning a divsion. But it really is a flaw in the sytem

Imagine two 13-3 teams in the same division....with one getting a bye and one not.....and then some jag team going 7-9, but winning their division.

That 7-9 team getting to host a 13-3 team in the playoffs sees wildly awful.....especially if the host is a team that has a great home-field advantage

Oh well

I understand it both ways. But it is that way in all sports. And has been for years.
If based on best records, then why have any divisions at all.

I remember the split MLB season from a strike year. The Reds had the best record overall combined record over other qualifying teams, but because of the screwed up way they did it, they missed the playoffs. I never went back to look to see if that was the case. But it is what I read back then.
Another reason I don't pay a lot of attention to MLB anymore. That and Pete Rose not being in the HOF.
It is why I never spend a cent on MLB. I went to Rangers games here because the tickets were given to me, but I will never purchase any.

If the Reds or Rangers are doing well and make the playoffs, I will watch the playoffs. I check in now and then, but rarely watch anymore than a few innings.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I understand it both ways. But it is that way in all sports. And has been for years.
If based on best records, then why have any divisions at all.

I remember the split MLB season from a strike year. The Reds had the best record overall combined record over other qualifying teams, but because of the screwed up way they did it, they missed the playoffs. I never went back to look to see if that was the case. But it is what I read back then.
Another reason I don't pay a lot of attention to MLB anymore. That and Pete Rose not being in the HOF.
It is why I never spend a cent on MLB. I went to Rangers games here because the tickets were given to me, but I will never purchase any.

If the Reds or Rangers are doing well and make the playoffs, I will watch the playoffs. I check in now and then, but rarely watch anymore than a few innings.
I hear you.

I think divisions could still serve a purpose of guaranteeing a playoff spot, regardless of record. Just not home field.

But I get it why they do it.

The NBA does not reward division winners with automatic home court, btw