NFL.Com Scout's Report Not Real High On Bobby Carpenter

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
I actually got his guide a few years ago (1999) and had a chance to talk to him. He's really a very nice person who enjoyed talking football.

I remember he didn't want to bust my bubble but he wasn't real high on our draft. He liked Dat for our system and he thought Martay Jenkins had a chance, but he was a development type.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Kai Parham had 8 sacks from the OSLB spot, doesn't mean he's going to be great rushing the passer in the pros.

I'm not deadset against Carpenter, but I do feel he's pretty overrated by a good portion of people. He's just never been someone who's stood out to me as a playmaker when I've watched OSU games. It seems he has a knack for ending up around the pile, jumping around celebrating and drawing attention to himself after the play is already over. I've always maintained that the person you draft in the 1st round is the person you feel most likely could end up in the Ring of Honor 20 years from now. I don't think Bobby Carpenter will ever sniff a Pro Bowl, much less a ROH nomination. But I also acknowledge that this isn't a particularly great draft for the Cowboys slot and his skillset and familiarity with Parcells does fit well. So I'm not getting worked up over it.

silver

Reaction score
adbutcher said:
This guarantees he will be a great football player.:rolleyes:
Kevin Greene had long blond hair too and lasted until the 5th round ;)

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
silver said:
Kevin Greene had long blond hair too and lasted until the 5th round ;)
lol, If we draft Carp and he turns out to be half as good I will be happy.

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
I like the long blond hair

Yeah, if I were to draft him at #18, it'd be because he has long blond hair

... what the hell? I'll avoid personal attacks for "fear" of BANISHMENT FROM THE LANDS

silver

Reaction score
adbutcher said:
lol, If we draft Carp and he turns out to be half as good I will be happy.
oh i'd be ectatic. i don't think he'll last until the 5th round though. in all seriousness the kevin greene clone is hawk IMO

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Kai Parham had 8 sacks from the OSLB spot, doesn't mean he's going to be great rushing the passer in the pros.

I'm not deadset against Carpenter, but I do feel he's pretty overrated by a good portion of people. He's just never been someone who's stood out to me as a playmaker when I've watched OSU games. It seems he has a knack for ending up around the pile, jumping around celebrating and drawing attention to himself after the play is already over. I've always maintained that the person you draft in the 1st round is the person you feel most likely could end up in the Ring of Honor 20 years from now. I don't think Bobby Carpenter will ever sniff a Pro Bowl, much less a ROH nomination. But I also acknowledge that this isn't a particularly great draft for the Cowboys slot and his skillset and familiarity with Parcells does fit well. So I'm not getting worked up over it.

That took some courage, man. I for one appreciate it. :)

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Does anyone have Jeff Ireland's cell phone? I would like to see what he believes--the only opinion that matters.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:

I agree. I have never liked Carpenter as much as many have either. Basically, I think he's a good solid LB. Not Spectacular but extremely solid, which is kinda what I think we lack right now. LT was the flash, Carson was the glue. I don't think Carpenter should be drafted so highly but if he is, then he is. I kinda always felt like Carpenter was a second round talent as opposed to a sure fire first round guy. I am definatly in the minority, I understand but that's just how I saw him. I won't cry if we take him at 18 but I would rather see other players fall to us at that spot or perhaps take a chance and trade down. See if he comes to us later. JMO.

jay cee

Reaction score
ROYDESTROY said:
That was todays brokeback moment :lmao::lmao2::eek: Just Kidding bro:D
:lmao: LOL man. I should have known someone would reference that movie when I read that post.

That is one movie I wish would have never been made. :mad:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I agree. I have never liked Carpenter as much as many have either. Basically, I think he's a good solid LB. Not Spectacular but extremely solid, which is kinda what I think we lack right now. LT was the flash, Carson was the glue. I don't think Carpenter should be drafted so highly but if he is, then he is. I kinda always felt like Carpenter was a second round talent as opposed to a sure fire first round guy. I am definatly in the minority, I understand but that's just how I saw him. I won't cry if we take him at 18 but I would rather see other players fall to us at that spot or perhaps take a chance and trade down. See if he comes to us later. JMO.

You mean Carl Banks, don't you? Carson was an ILB. Or am I getting them mixed up?

I was just waiting on a smoke covered Rack to open the door with his guns ablazing, lol.

Good_Bad_Ugly_6.JPG

:cool:

Woods

Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
Tell me what analyis said this about Vince Young or who doing the comments about him. Is it the same person that's doing the comments about Vince Young?:rolleyes:

I doubt if they went as far as saying Vince Young is 3rd round talent..:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I think you're just saying that because you like Bobby Carpenter alot and you want to be like the media and make NFL.com look worst than their looking right now..

o.k.

Here you go.

GM Jr's Top Quarterbacks

Matt Leinhart 6.4 grade
Kellen Clemons 6.3 grade
Erik Meyer 6.25 grade
Ingle Martin 6.2 grade
DJ Shockley 6.00 grade
VINCE YOUNG 5.90 grade
D. Hackney 5.90 grade
C. Whitehurst 5.87 grade
B. Croyle 5.85 grade
Jay Cutler 5.80 grade

Grading Scale
8-9 1st round
7-7.9 1st round
6.5 - 6.9 1st round
6.3-6.4 2nd round
6.0-6.3 3rd round
5.90-6.0 3rd/4th round

As I said, he's an interesting read, and some of his profiles are different than the run of the mill . . . .

Why does everything have to be pro or anti-Lawson?

:rolleyes:

silver

Reaction score
Rack said:
You mean Carl Banks, don't you? Carson was an ILB. Or am I getting them mixed up?
you're right. banks was the olb and carson the ilb, however as far a glue is concerned me thinks it applies to carson more so than banks IMO

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Woods said:
o.k.

Here you go.

GM Jr's Top Quarterbacks

Matt Leinhart 6.4 grade
Kellen Clemons 6.3 grade
Erik Meyer 6.25 grade
Ingle Martin 6.2 grade
DJ Shockley 6.00 grade
VINCE YOUNG 5.90 grade
D. Hackney 5.90 grade
C. Whitehurst 5.87 grade
B. Croyle 5.85 grade
Jay Cutler 5.80 grade

Grading Scale
8-9 1st round
7-7.9 1st round
6.5 - 6.9 1st round
6.3-6.4 2nd round
6.0-6.3 3rd round
5.90-6.0 3rd/4th round

As I said, he's an interesting read, and some of his profiles are different than the run of the mill . . . .

Why does everything have to be pro or anti-Lawson?

:rolleyes:

Is anyone in his rankings a first round talent?? I guess we'll just start with the second round:lmao:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rack said:

Good_Bad_Ugly_6.JPG

:cool:

No, your not mixed up. Banks was an OLB and Carson was an ILB. Position is really not what I'm refering to here. LT was the guy who kept you up at night as an OC but Carson was the guy who kept the whole thing tight. He was the glue. I don't think that we have that in any of our LBs. Dat was kinda that way but now, he's gone too. I just think we need one guy who can be that steady influence on the defense. In a 34, I think it's better if that person is a LB. Doesn't have to be inside so long as it's somebody. I think Carpenter can possibly be a player like that.