Nfl Draft Countdown: Defensive Linemen

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
NFL DRAFT COUNTDOWN: DEFENSIVE LINEMEN
Defensive lineman a YouTube star even before NFL Draft
By CHAREAN WILLIAMScjwilliams@star-telegram.comRelated Content
Raji ■Watch the YouTube video of the pool jump Related Tags (BETA)

San Jose State defensive lineman Jarron Gilbert can’t leap tall buildings in a single bound, but he has leaped out of a swimming pool in a single bound. To casual fans, Gilbert is one of the most well-known prospects in this year’s draft.

He is a "YouTube sensation," as he calls himself.

The 24-second video, taped last summer at a teammate’s apartment complex, shows Gilbert jumping out of the shallow end of a full swimming pool onto the deck. It’s been viewed more than 600,000 times on the Internet and shown numerous times on ESPN.

"One day our strength coach said [former NFL player] Adam Archuleta could jump out of a pool, and everybody was super amazed," Gilbert said. "I went out there one day — it wasn’t that big a deal to me — and I just went and jumped out of the pool. I found out that I could do it, so I put it on film to make everybody else believe me."

The video got Gilbert noticed, and that athleticism has helped his draft stock take off. Gilbert’s performances at the East-West Shrine Game, the NFL Scouting Combine and his Pro Day have elevated him to a possible first-day pick. The Spartans haven’t had a first-rounder since Gill Byrd was selected by the San Diego Chargers in 1983.

"That’s what the East-West game was for [to prove he could play]," Gilbert said. "I think they saw that. Coming from San Jose, it’s a little harder, I think, to get the recognition. But the film speaks for itself."

Gilbert, who is 6-foot-5, 288 pounds, has a 7-foot-1 wingspan, a 37-inch vertical and a 10-foot-7 broad jump. He ran a 4.76 at his Pro Day and has squatted 635 pounds and dead-lifted 655 pounds.

He isn’t just a workout warrior either. Gilbert is a three-year starter who led the NCAA in tackles for loss last season with 22.

He has the pedigree, too. Gilbert’s father, Darren, was a second-round pick of the New Orleans Saints in 1985 out of Cal State-Fullerton and played four seasons at offensive tackle in the NFL.

Gilbert hopes one day there is a YouTube highlight video of his amazing plays in the NFL.

"Jumping out of the pool is cool and everything, but being a good player is a little more important than that," Gilbert said.

Overview

It is a great year for pass rushers, with a lot of promising defensive ends and outside linebackers. Several of them are hybrids who could play either position, depending on the defense. Kevin Colbert, the Steelers’ director of football operations, called the defensive ends a "very strong" group. LSU’s Tyson Jackson, Penn State’s Aaron Maybin, Texas’ Brian Orakpo and Tennessee’s Robert Ayers all could be high first-round draft choices. Florida State’s Everette Brown also could sneak into the first round. As many as three defensive tackles could go in the first round. Boston College’s B.J. Raji should be a top-five choice, Mississippi’s Peria Jerry and Missouri’s Evander "Ziggy" Hood all could land in the first.

Top 5

B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College, 6-2, 337, 5.12. Teams have to be satisfied with their background checks, but he made 42 tackles and eight sacks last season.

Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU, 6-5, 292. Jackson, who had eight sacks and 19 pressures his final two seasons, is the best 3-4 end in the draft.

Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State, 6-4, 249, 4.78. He had at least one sack in 10 games, made 49 tackles and caused three fumbles.

Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas, 6-3, 263, 4.63. His 11.5 sacks was sixth in the nation last season.

Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee, 6-3, 272, 4.77. He had 49 tackles, 15.5 behind the line, and three sacks last season.

Sleeper

Sammie Lee Hill, DT, Stillman, 6-4, 329, 5.12. One of the best small school prospects in this draft, Hill had 44.5 tackles behind the line.

Texas ties

Evander "Ziggy" Hood, DT, Missouri, 6-3, 300, 4.83. The Amarillo Palo Duro product had five sacks and five of his 12 pressures caused interceptions. He will be a first-round choice.

Brandon Williams, DE, Texas Tech, 6-3, 261, 4.96. The South Hills product ranks fourth in school history with 22.5 sacks.

Michael Bennett, DE, Texas A&M, 6-4, 274, 5.00. Martellus Bennett’s older brother had 42 tackles, 12 for loss, and two sacks last season.

Roy Miller, DT, Texas, 6-1, 310, 4.95. He made 138 tackles, 25 tackles for loss and 10 sacks in 49 games, which is why he’ll be a mid- to late-round pick.

Pannel Egboh, DE, Stanford, 6-5 3/4 , 276. The North Mesquite product had a disappointing senior year with 3.5 tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks.

Henry Melton, DE, Texas, 6-4, 269, 4.65. The former running back had 29 tackles, four sacks and 17 pressures last season.

Stryker Sulak, DE, Missouri, 6-5, 251, 4.63. The Rockdale product had 55 tackles, 15.5 for loss, 10.5 sacks and an NCAA-leading six forced fumbles.

Source: Heights, weights and 40 times were compiled from NFL Draft Scout.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TV coverage April 25 (Rounds 1-2), NFL Network, 3-11 p.m.; ESPN, 3-8 p.m.; ESPN2, 8-10 p.m. April 26 (Rounds 3-7), NFL Network, 9 a.m.- 6 p.m.; ESPN, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.