NFL Draft Countdown Mock Draft 1/17

Encore

Never Enough
Reaction score
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

11. Dallas Cowboys: Shawne Merriman, OLB-DE, Maryland

After overachieving and reaching the playoffs in 2003 the Cowboys have come back to earth this season and in a way that has to make the team and fans wonder exactly how far away this team is from actually contending for a Super Bowl. You should never doubt Bill Parcells though and if anyone can get this franchise back on track in a hurry it is the Tuna, whose efforts will be aided by two #1 draft picks. We all know how much Bill Parcells values defense and while they have one of the better defensive tackles in the league in La'Roi Glover and an underrated defensive end in Greg Ellis that is about it up front. Marcellus Wiley has been a major disappointment so one of Dallas' top priorities this offseason will be to bring in someone who can rush the passer and Merriman has as much potential in that area as anyone in this Draft. Remember, Parcells drafted another DE-OLB out of South Carolina named John Abraham when he was with the Jets so this is certainly a guy who fits his style of defense and could be exactly the type of dynamic playmaker the Cowboys are searching for. Cornerback is also a major need but with another first round pick they can take advantage of the depth at that position and nab a coverman later.

20. Dallas Cowboys (f/BUF): Carlos Rogers, CB, Auburn

After letting Mario Edwards leave as a free agent the team was relying on the essentially unproven and untested Pete Hunter to start opposite Terence Newman, but Hunter was lost for the season with an injury and that combined with Newman's drop-off in play has left Dallas in dire straights in pass defense, seemingly unable to cover anyone. Rogers, who won the Thorpe Award this year as the best defensive back in college football, has all the physical tools you look for in a shutdown corner with ideal size, speed and athleticism. There are still a lot of good corners available at this point so don't rule out guys like Justin Miller of Clemson, Marlin Jackson of Michigan, Brandon Browner of Oregon St., Corey Webster of L.S.U., and Bryant McFadden of Florida St., each of whom could emerge as a late first round pick before all is said and done. With Darren Woodson retiring the Cowboys could also be in search of either a free or strong safety with Roy Williams able to play the other spot so watch out for Brodney Pool and Ernest Shazor as well. Dallas could also still be looking for more defensive line help as well depending on what they do with their earlier pick so don't rule out a tackle or end here and the offensive line hasn't played up to expectations either so that could be a possibility as well.

--

I could live with both of these.

If we take Shawne Merriman with the 11th according to this site.. Then we'd pass up on Barylon and Derrick who they have going 12th and 16th.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Merriman and DJ are both on the board at #11.....TRADE DOWN. Move a couple of spots, pick up a 3rd, then take who is left. Work the draft. Get the guy you want. There will still solid players left in the third.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
If we pass on DJ, I will be pissed. I like Rogers though.

Man I hate agreeing with you..............I like Rogers also

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
Man I hate agreeing with you..............I like Rogers also

Do you hate agreeing with me too? Cuz I like Rogers too.

And I'd take DJ before taking Merriman too.

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
that would be a great draft- I ll take that any day of the week- Maybe even trade down from 20 to 25 or so and pick up a third rounder this year.
Encore said:
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

11. Dallas Cowboys: Shawne Merriman, OLB-DE, Maryland

After overachieving and reaching the playoffs in 2003 the Cowboys have come back to earth this season and in a way that has to make the team and fans wonder exactly how far away this team is from actually contending for a Super Bowl. You should never doubt Bill Parcells though and if anyone can get this franchise back on track in a hurry it is the Tuna, whose efforts will be aided by two #1 draft picks. We all know how much Bill Parcells values defense and while they have one of the better defensive tackles in the league in La'Roi Glover and an underrated defensive end in Greg Ellis that is about it up front. Marcellus Wiley has been a major disappointment so one of Dallas' top priorities this offseason will be to bring in someone who can rush the passer and Merriman has as much potential in that area as anyone in this Draft. Remember, Parcells drafted another DE-OLB out of South Carolina named John Abraham when he was with the Jets so this is certainly a guy who fits his style of defense and could be exactly the type of dynamic playmaker the Cowboys are searching for. Cornerback is also a major need but with another first round pick they can take advantage of the depth at that position and nab a coverman later.

20. Dallas Cowboys (f/BUF): Carlos Rogers, CB, Auburn

After letting Mario Edwards leave as a free agent the team was relying on the essentially unproven and untested Pete Hunter to start opposite Terence Newman, but Hunter was lost for the season with an injury and that combined with Newman's drop-off in play has left Dallas in dire straights in pass defense, seemingly unable to cover anyone. Rogers, who won the Thorpe Award this year as the best defensive back in college football, has all the physical tools you look for in a shutdown corner with ideal size, speed and athleticism. There are still a lot of good corners available at this point so don't rule out guys like Justin Miller of Clemson, Marlin Jackson of Michigan, Brandon Browner of Oregon St., Corey Webster of L.S.U., and Bryant McFadden of Florida St., each of whom could emerge as a late first round pick before all is said and done. With Darren Woodson retiring the Cowboys could also be in search of either a free or strong safety with Roy Williams able to play the other spot so watch out for Brodney Pool and Ernest Shazor as well. Dallas could also still be looking for more defensive line help as well depending on what they do with their earlier pick so don't rule out a tackle or end here and the offensive line hasn't played up to expectations either so that could be a possibility as well.

--

I could live with both of these.

If we take Shawne Merriman with the 11th according to this site.. Then we'd pass up on Barylon and Derrick who they have going 12th and 16th.