NFL draft looks deep at LB By Jim Thomas

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
NFL draft looks deep at LB
By Jim Thomas
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH​
03/04/2006

For a team in dire need of linebacker help, such as the Rams, the 2006 draft could be a godsend.

"You can look at the linebacker situation and say this is probably as strong a linebacker group as we've had in a while," Tennessee general manager Floyd Reese said.

No less an authority than Pro Football Hall of Fame linebacker Mike Singletary concurs.

"This is a great year for linebackers," says Singletary, the assistant head coach-linebackers coach for the San Francisco 49ers. "Great character guys, hard-working. ... Across the board, it's a great crop."

As many as six linebackers could go in the first round this season, seven if you include North Carolina State's speedy Manny Lawson. He finished his college career as a defensive end but could be a rushing linebacker in a 3-4 system.

This gives the Rams, who are looking for a starting middle linebacker and a starting strongside linebacker, some flexibility in roster building. If the Rams don't get what they want at linebacker in free agency, they can always turn to the draft.

Any discussion of the position in the draft must begin with Ohio State, where the Buckeyes arguably had the best linebacker corps in the nation with A.J. Hawk, Bobby Carpenter and Anthony Schlegel.

Led by that trio, the Buckeyes led the nation in rush defense last season, and they ranked fifth in total defense and scoring defense. Hawk and Carpenter appear to be sure first-round picks, with Hawk almost certainly a top 10 selection.

"I think the linebacker position, with all the defenses they're playing, and with all the offenses you have to face - one week you're facing a spread offense and the next week a team is trying to pound the ball on you - you have to be able to do a little bit of everything," Hawk said.

That is Hawk's game. He's smooth in coverage, strong against the run and an aggressive pass rusher. Because of his blend of speed, technique and instinct, he may be the safest pick in the draft, along with North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams.

Hawk checked in at 6-1, 248 pounds at the NFL scouting combine. He ran a 4.6 in the 40, which is good for someone his size, but scouts feel he plays even faster. He was particularly impressive reaching for errant throws in pass-drop and coverage drills at the combine.

Hawk played inside and outside linebacker in college, but the Rams probably would use him inside.

"I think most teams would want me at the inside in a 3-4, from what I've heard," Hawk said. "Either one I'd feel comfortable with."

Trouble is, the Rams probably lost any chance to get Hawk - barring a draft-day trade-up - when they defeated Dallas in their regular-season finale. That dropped them from No. 8 to No. 11 overall in the draft order.

But there are other options. No. 11 might be a little high for Carpenter, who is big, rangy and physical. Carpenter has drawn some comparisons to former Buckeye Mike Vrabel because of his versatility.

If Rams defensive coordinator Jim Haslett is serious about incorporating elements of the 3-4 in his scheme, Carpenter might be a nice fit as a rush end-linebacker. At 6-2 1/2, 256 pounds, Carpenter is big enough to occasionally line up in a three-point stance, but nimble enough to play strongside linebacker. The Buckeyes decided to use him a lot more as a pass rusher this year, and he responded with eight sacks, probably making himself a lot of money in the NFL.

"Seeing a lot of teams go to the 3-4, I think helps me," Carpenter said. "Looking around, it's tough to find a whole lot of guys who have the size and weight to play outside linebacker in the 3-4. You have to be a bigger, physical guy with good speed. That's something that's kind of a (rare) commodity in today's game. I think that's something I can bring to the table."

Most of the top linebacker prospects ran and worked out at the combine, but Carpenter couldn't because of a broken ankle he suffered in the regular-season finale against Michigan. But he's far enough along in his rehab that he plans to work out March 9 at Ohio State's pro day.

Iowa's Chad Greenway is generally regarded as the second- best linebacker in the draft, and may be taken somewhere between Nos. 10 and 15 overall. At 6-2 1/2, 242 pounds, Greenway has the size to play middle or strongside, but he played weakside linebacker in college. Although he excelled in coverage, he didn't get much experience rushing.

Ernie Sims of Florida State is a fast, aggressive player. But like DeMeco Ryans of Alabama, his size and skill probably make him best suited to play the weakside position (away from the tight end) in the NFL. And that's one position the Rams don't have to fill, with Pisa Tinoisamoa on the club.

Iowa middle linebacker Abdul Hodge, aka The Hitman, is a tad undersized at 6-0, 236, but never backs down from a block, plays with discipline and was very productive in college.

jthomas@post-dispatch.com 314-340-8197

STLtoday.com/rams

Check into "Rams Talk," and jump into a discussion about free agency, the draft or the league's labor mess