NFL Draft: Senior Bowl Speculation

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
NFL Draft: Senior Bowl Speculation

Recommend Comment(10) Email Print Sharing RSS Thursday, February 4, 2010, 12:00 AM

By Rich Tandler
Commanders Correspondent
CSNwashington.com

When Allen Iverson made his often-replayed comments mocking practice—“We’re talkin’ about practice, man, how silly is that.”—evidently he wasn’t referring to the annual Senior Bowl. There, practice is at least as important as the game.

It is during the week leading up to the game that NFL coaches, scouts, general managers and others involved in the drafting process congregate in Mobile, Alabama to observe every one-on-one matchup, every throw in seven-on-seven drills, and every burst into the blocking sled. Most of them head out of town after the Thursday practice; very few stick around for the actual game on Saturday.

The Commanders sent Mike Shanahan and the rest of the coaching staff, general manager Bruce Allen, director of player personnel Scott Campbell, and some other scouts and front-office types.

The Senior Bowl is the first stage of the meat market leading up to the NFL draft in late April. The combine takes place in Indianapolis later this month, and then the individual colleges hold pro days for another round of measuring and timing.

Very few of the top prospects come to the Senior Bowl. The Commanders staff did not have an opportunity to compare top offensive tackle prospects Russell Okung and Trent Williams. Those who already are projected as first-round picks have nothing to gain and everything to lose with a poor performance or, worse, a serious injury. The Senior Bowl rosters primarily are composed of those now in the middle rounds who want to move up into the top 100, and a few second-round prospects who want some of that first-round cash.

Here are some reports on some players in whom the Commanders may be interested. It’s important to note that Shanahan, Allen, and company did not telegraph their interest in any particular prospects. This is just a look at a number of players who might fill some of the needs that the team has.

Tony Pike, Quarterback, Cincinnati—Although Pike excelled in a spread offense for the Bearcats, he has the arm strength that Shanahan likes to see in a quarterback. At 6’ 6” tall he has a leg up—or, more accurately, a head up—on many similarly-productive spread offense quarterbacks who will be trying to make the transition to the pro game. There was some concern at the weigh-in when he barely tipped the scales at 212 pounds. Pike displayed accuracy and touch on his throws in practice with one scout saying that he was “very efficient” in seven-on-seven drills. “He’s interesting because he’s a big kid, accurate and has an above-average arm,” NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said. “But is he going to put weight on?” Mayock rated Pike as a third-round pick.

Mike Johnson, Guard/Tackle, Alabama—Johnson was a consensus All-American for the 2009 national champs. At 6’ 5”, 306 lb., Johnson could be suited to play either guard spot or right tackle. He is more of a power blocker than a pass blocker, so he won’t be anyone’s answer at left tackle. Johnson’s technique is quite refined, and during Senior Bowl practice he impressed scouts with his ability to stay engaged throughout the play. He is projected to be a second or third round pick.

Ed Wang, Offensive Tackle, Virginia Tech—This Hokie’s draft stock took a hit during Senior Bowl practices. He played well against the bigger, more powerful defensive ends, but he had trouble keeping up with the smaller but quicker types. The latter type translates into the 3-4 linebacker that he will see a lot of in the NFL. Still, he has the athletic ability to develop into good zone blocker. His Senior Bowl week knocked his consensus grade down to a fourth- or fifth-round pick. He could be a Shanahan project.

LeGarrette Blount, Running Back, Oregon—Yes, he’s the guy who missed most of the 2009 season after sucker-punching a Boise State player during the postgame handshakes. But during the week in Mobile, he showed that perhaps he has learned from that mistake and he could be a late-round steal. “With me being here for these past few days, everyone has seen a completely different LeGarrette than what they know on TV,” Blount said after one practice session. “It’s just the fact that everybody is here and has talked to me and got a feel for me, know that the guy they saw on Sept. 3 is not the guy that I am. And even if it’s people I just met, they know I’m not that person.” At 6’ 1”, 240 lb. he could be an excellent power component to the Commanders’ running game. Then again, Shanahan might be hesitant to take a shot at a mid-round running back with a checkered history. (Maurice Clarett, anyone?)

Terrell Skinner, Free Safety, Maryland—If the Commanders are going to make LaRon Landry a full-time strong safety, they will have a hole at free. Skinner is a converted wide receiver who at 6’ 3” has the size to play safety in the NFL. At the Senior Bowl he displayed good athletic ability, but he struggled with some of the mental aspects of practice. He committed a few dumb penalties and seemed to lack focus at times. “Just getting used to the tempo, the meetings, the way NFL coaches speak to you, just surrounded by all these great players,” Skinner told the Washington Post. “My game has had to elevate, and I think I've been doing pretty good." Skinner is projected to go somewhere in the fourth to sixth rounds.

Ciron Black, Offensive Tackle, LSU—Black started 53 games at left tackle in the ultra-competitive SEC for the Tigers. However, that doesn’t mean that he’s an ideal LT at the next level. In fact, some scouts think that his strength is as a power blocker, and that at 6’ 5” and 322 lb. he should move inside and play guard in the NFL. Black did play some guard during practice, and he impressed many observers with his strength and technique. One sign that he may have to change positions in the NFL came when Michigan defensive end Brandon Graham, who lined up against Black for a good portion of the game, earned the Senior Bowl Most Valuable Player award. Black is projected to be a fifth-round pick.

Rich Tandler has been following the Commanders since 1966 and he blogs about the team at RealRedskins.com. He has written three books on the team including his latest, The Commanders Chronicle. For details on this unique book and for ordering information, visit www.RedskinsChronicle.com. You can reach Rich by email at rich.tandler+csn@gmail.com.

2much2soon

Reaction score
I think someone will make a horrible decision drafting LeGarrette Blount.

This kid ran his mouth all offseason, last year, about what he was going to do to Boise State in '09.

Then him and his team got spanked (again) by Boise and he had the well chronicled meltdown on BSPN.

In case you forgot, what he did after the Boise game was not just a punch in frustration; it was a punch, followed by some weird, derisive, hip-hop dance moves, followed by threatening gestures toward his teammates, followed by threatening gestures to the crowd.

And all that was on top of the stuff Blount did that the UO's athletic department hushed up; more fighting with teammates, skipping practices, etc.

So Oregon suspended and counseled Blount and now he is a different, reformed person?

Get real. This kid is a ticking time bomb who thinks that different rules apply to him.

My opinion is that this guy is Lawrence Phillips, Part Two. He may even be worse.